Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

SMC Pentax Shift 28mm f/3.5

Does anyone have any experience with this lens. I'm using it on a Dslr so I know the wide-angle is not really there anymore but the angle convergence is giving me a hard time.

Anyone with ideas?
Thanks
jc

11-06-2007, 06:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is there no one in this forum with this lens???
11-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #3

shift-tilt

I use a 35mm shift and tilt lens
I dont quite understand what your issues are with your lens, but if you wanna chat send me a pm
11-06-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Keith, sent you an email.

11-06-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi JCSullivan

You're very lucky........I would love to use my Olympus 35mm f2.8 PC lens on a DSLR, but sadly Olympus decided to abandon their faithful band of OM users when they went digital, collectively leaving us truly 'up the creek without a paddle' ! Grrrrrr.......
Could you be more specific regarding the sort of problem you need help with ?

Best regards
Richard
11-06-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm glad I decided to bump this thread.

Keith sent me a link which I've not had an opportunity to read - in and out all day - but it looks great.

Its a Nikon reference and hope Keith doesn't mind my sharing it Using the 35mm Nikon Perspective Control Lens

The problem I'm having is that when shooting a church for example, there doesn't seem to be any shift correction.
11-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Hi JCSullivan

Re your quandary:
"The problem I'm having is that when shooting a church for example, there doesn't seem to be any shift correction".

Bear in mind two things:

1) You haven't mentioned whether you're mainly using this lens in the vertical or horizontal plane &.....
2) I'm quite probably talking out of 'the-top-of-my-hat' !!

However, in this particular instance, I'd 'guesstimate' that unless there is something mechanically faulty with the actual 'rise & fall'/sideways mechanism of your SMC Pentax Shift 28mm f/3.5 lens, the only other thing that occurs to me is possibly that the focal-length magnification factor of this lens (x 1.5, when used on a DSLR body with an APS-C sensor) has effectively turned this previously wide-angle lens into a virtually standard 42mm one (28mm x F L M F of 0.5 = 42mm) ?
Hence any movement at 42mm is going to appear far less than it would have done at the wider-angle of 28mm ?
Failing that, simply 'chuck' your venerable Pentax shift-lens in my direction and avail yourself of a nice new shiny F/F C****n 5D body & 24mm PC & Tilt lens costing a paltry 2,500.00 sterling or thereabouts......OUCH !!
If this makes any kind sense at all, kindly let me know but should my answer prove inaccurate (as it may well be), you'll have to throw this question out to a wider and more knowledgeable audience !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 11-07-2007 at 07:40 PM.
11-08-2007, 05:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Richard. Both your answer and Keith's make a lot of sense. Except of course the "chucking the lense your way" - sorry buddy, my arms won't reach.

Anyway, have decided to go out and reshoot, better document and post.

Thanks guys.

11-16-2007, 04:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update

Although I decided to go out for a reshoot, I also decided to dig-up my slr for another reshoot in the traditional way.

Wait for it...