Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Help! AF problems with my new 18-135

Has anyone encountered AF problems with the 18-135? I'm in the Vegas airport now with very good lighting. The lens AF perfectly at 18 and 135. In between the widest and longest, it refuses to AF from time to time. Haven't totally pin pointed the situation in which it refuses to AF. I know for sure that it only occurs between the widest and longest focal lengths. And perhaps while the focus point is on glass surfaces.

If I use contrast detect in live view, I don't have any problems.

Anyone encounter this situation with their 18-135? I put the FA35 on my K5, and don't have any problems at all with AF.

Help!!

Thanks.

05-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Armanius Quote
Has anyone encountered AF problems with the 18-135? I'm in the Vegas airport now with very good lighting. The lens AF perfectly at 18 and 135. In between the widest and longest, it refuses to AF from time to time. Haven't totally pin pointed the situation in which it refuses to AF. I know for sure that it only occurs between the widest and longest focal lengths. And perhaps while the focus point is on glass surfaces.

Anyone encounter this situation with their 18-135? I put the FA35 on my K5, and don't have any problems at all with AF.

Help!!

Thanks.
I haven't had any AF issues with my K-5 + 18-135 combo. I did have an issue in the past with a DA17-70 that wouldn't focus above 50mm, but I'm not sure that would be particularly relevant.

Ironically, I read this thread right after booking my plane tickets for Vegas... did you just arrive or are you leaving
05-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I haven't had any AF issues with my K-5 + 18-135 combo. I did have an issue in the past with a DA17-70 that wouldn't focus above 50mm, but I'm not sure that would be particularly relevant.

Ironically, I read this thread right after booking my plane tickets for Vegas... did you just arrive or are you leaving
Stuck here. Plane to Palm Springs is late ...
05-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Stuck here. Plane to Palm Springs is late ...
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll figure out what's going on with the 18-135.
BTW, have you had the lens a while and this just started or is it pretty new and might have been this way from the start?

05-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

did you check the contact pins or atleast wipe them up?
05-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll figure out what's going on with the 18-135.
BTW, have you had the lens a while and this just started or is it pretty new and might have been this way from the start?
Brand new. Will probably just return it.
08-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #7

I would like to know what camera body you have? I have a k10d and I just got this lens today and am having the same problem.

08-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #8

Original Poster
I was using the 18-135 on the K-5. I already returned the lens.
02-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #9

Help!!

Thanks.
Hi Armanius, just wanted to know if you are still experiencing this problem. When you returned the lens did you replace it with a different copy of the same lens?

I get the same problem with my new 18-135 WR. Noticed it can't focus sometimes when using focal length in between 18 and 135 (both ends are fine). I usually encounter this when focusing at very far distances (perhaps infinity focus) of foliage, mountains, etc. Or sometimes when shooting against the light.
02-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaron_8 Quote
Hi Armanius, just wanted to know if you are still experiencing this problem. When you returned the lens did you replace it with a different copy of the same lens?

I get the same problem with my new 18-135 WR. Noticed it can't focus sometimes when using focal length in between 18 and 135 (both ends are fine). I usually encounter this when focusing at very far distances (perhaps infinity focus) of foliage, mountains, etc. Or sometimes when shooting against the light.
Hi Aaron-

I ended up not getting another 18-135. If I recall correctly, my problems were also with distance focusing. Not sure if it was infinity focus though It's been a while. I also recall having trouble against strong lighting.

Looks like we (and Tracy above) are one of the few people who encountered this problem. I bought my 18-135 from Amazon. Did you get yours from Amazon? Maybe you got my copy! Hope not!

I'd return it. I've been tempted to pick up another, because it's such a versatile lens. But the thought of encountering the same problem makes me think twice about.

Armanius
02-21-2012, 03:14 AM   #11

Got mine from a local distributor here in Manila. I'll return it and see if it's possible for them to replace it. I'm just worried that I won't be able to re-create the problem at the store
02-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaron_8 Quote
Got mine from a local distributor here in Manila. I'll return it and see if it's possible for them to replace it. I'm just worried that I won't be able to re-create the problem at the store
Good luck!
02-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I'm in the Vegas airport now with very good lighting
Just for the record, inside any building is not "very good lighting"...
02-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Just for the record, inside any building is not "very good lighting"...
Not sure if you've been inside the Las Vegas Airport on the middle of the day. It's bright enough where some people keep their sunglasses on while indoors.