Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #1

Is this normal for a Pentax-A 35-105mm?

Hello. I have a pentax-A 35-105mm manual lens that I really enjoy using for walks due to its useful focal length. Not to mention being sharp as well. A little bit heavy but I don't mind it at all. I noticed that when I focus on a subject & changes focal length ie. 105mm to 35mm, I have to refocus again. This can be a bit annoying, causing delay especially when you have a moving subject. I don't see this on my other zoom lenses. Is this a normal behavior? Otherwise, great manual lens!

05-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ability to maintain focus while zooming depends on the lens design. Some zooms can do it and others can't. If you want to know more look up the terms varifocal and parfocal.
05-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's an old thread here in the lens section that goes something like this:

Poster 1: I have this lens and I can zoom from end to end without refocusing.

Poster 2: You are wrong. I have this lens and I have to refocus.

Poster 1: I'm right. And when I bought it, the dealer said that was a feature.

Poster 2: Have you had your vision checked recently? This web site doesn't say anything about that feature, therefore the lens doesn't have it.

Poster 3: Here is the wikipedia entry on parfocal and varifocal. Honestly, is it a big deal to refocus?

Poster 2: Yes, and I have returned this lens, sold my Pentax and bought some hyperexpensive thing for just this feature. My standards are exceptionally high.

Poster 1: I've had 11 National Geographic cover shots with my copy, and I have never changed focus since the day I bought it.

After that, the thread starts to deteriorate.
05-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used to own 3 copies. 2 maintained focus from tele to wide, the worst shape one with sign of repair did shift focus.

05-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I had 3 copies of this lens (all now sold), none of them required re-focusing when zooming.

However, if I focused at 35mm, then zoomed to 105mm, I might need to re-focus. That was because it was easier to see the focusing mistake at 105mm than at 35mm.
05-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. Seems a minor issue given it's good quality. I can live with it