Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Sigma 70-300 APO DG stiff zoom ring

Hello from sunny Bulgaria

Well, I bought one Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro the other day and I have little issue with it. The zoom ring is kinda hard to turn, especially after 200mm. I play with it today, when I am zooming from 70 to 300 zoom is smooth, backwards is very stiffy. If I turn the lens vertically so the front of it stays at the bottom it is stiff in all directions. If I turn the lens upside down so the front side stays on top zoom-in and zoom-out is smooth from one end to the other. I am confused and not sure if something is broken inside or it needs some lubrication. The person I bought the lens from said he didn't used it for a long time. I thought with some more turnings I will make it smoother, but I think it's a real problem. Any advice? Is it possible to lubricate it somehow and how exactly? It is out of warranty and honestly don't want to send it to the local service, it would cost me more than another used one for sure.

Thanks in advance.

05-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I never had a problem with mine however the zoom ring is definitely more stiff compared to the pentax zoom. You mention that it is hard to turn after 200mm I am just worried that you might have a broken lens. I know the macro feature is selectable after that range and there is a locking feature to prevent zooming out of the range when active. Perhaps someone forced it out of the safety.
05-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Pentax 28 to 80mm zoom lens that is stiff since it was new. That was 20 plus years ago. It has not affected anything in that time frame. It still is stiff but it works out for me. Just see how it goes over the next few months to see if it looses up at all.

For the price of getting it seviced you could be looking at getting another used lens in the same range if you can find one or just see how it goes with the one you have now. As long as nothing feels like nothing is breaking on it while zooming I thing you should be ok with it. Just keep a good eye on to see how it is working from now on.

My girlfriend bought one of these and has not used it too much. I did some test shots with it and found to be a nice lens.
05-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Actually I forgot to mention that the lens is fully functional. Images, focusing, macro everything is working just fine. That's why I bought it, with hope that zoom ring will loosen up. Macro switch is working, locking also. I will try to find someone from the city with same lens to make one little comparison.

What do you think about this video
I have exactly same problem, same symptoms as he says. Is it too risky to try it? I never disassembled lenses.

10-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Inactive Account

hey da_durty any news? im having the same problem. did you do the video? thanks!
10-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
Inactive Account

pls update!!! need help...