Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #121
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
While this thread began as a need for a protriait lens for a K20, and I know I am late to the party, what consideration should be given to the Voigtlander Ultron 40mm F2 SL II Aspherical or Nokton 58mm F1.4 SL II?
You can of course shoot portraits with any focal length but there is a classic focal range which yields a pleasing perspective (noses don't stick out, faces are not too compressed either) and enables a practical camera / subject distance. On the K20D (APS-C sensor) that range is roughly 55-90mm.

I'd therefore say that the Ultron 40/2 is too short for classic portraits (it will be fine for full body shots).

The Nokton 58/1.4 has a very nice focal length for portraits (on a K20D). It also has very nice bokeh (smooth out of focus areas). I would recommend the Nokton if you are happy with manual focusing. Note that focusing manually with f-ratios below f/2.8 is hard with standard focusing screens. The latter don't have any focusing aids (split prism, micro-prism collar) and are optimised for slower lenses to enable a bright viewfinder even when the lens' widest aperture isn't that wide. This "brightness optimisation" means that you don't see a difference neither regarding brightness nor depth of field below f/2.8. It is not impossible to get the focus right, in spite of this limitation, but ideally you should be looking into getting a split-prism focusing screen along with a fast manual focus lens like the Nokton (if you want to use the f/1.4-f/2.8 aperture range).

05-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #122

it's simple, really

Vinyl just sounds better! I tried the DA70, and the soundstage just isn't as liquid!
05-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skoobie Quote
Vinyl just sounds better! I tried the DA70, and the soundstage just isn't as liquid!
don't get me started on vinyl!

... can you tell I was born in the 80s?

PS great post Marc. Very level and fair.
05-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #124

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
My point about pz is that they don't particularly like Pentax.
It's not so much that they don't like Pentax, as that the price of the lens is taken into account when writing the review, and the 08/09 price hikes leave some Pentax lenses (and the FA Limiteds in particular) suffering in this regard. That was the gist of the FA77 review: they said that it was a fabulous lens, but that if one compares image quality (I know compactness comes into it for some people) there was no justification for it costing more than twice as much as the [similarly fabulous] Canikon 85mm f1.8s.

05-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
It's not so much that they don't like Pentax, as that the price of the lens is taken into account when writing the review, and the 08/09 price hikes leave some Pentax lenses (and the FA Limiteds in particular) suffering in this regard. That was the gist of the FA77 review: they said that it was a fabulous lens, but that if one compares image quality (I know compactness comes into it for some people) there was no justification for it costing more than twice as much as the [similarly fabulous] Canikon 85mm f1.8s.
I don't buy that argument at all. All 3 FA Ltds. are still bargains when compared to their Canikon counterparts. Oh, wait....they don't really have any Canikon counterparts!