Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #31
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,796
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
So how does this mean anything other than that they are different
This is only the case when one is referring to the modern Cosina made Zeiss 28mm f/2 - even that design with the cost cutting measures Cosina employs still borrows heavily from the original design used by Zeiss and Pentax.

12-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #32
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
This is only the case when one is referring to the modern Cosina made Zeiss 28mm f/2 - even that design with the cost cutting measures Cosina employs still borrows heavily from the original design used by Zeiss and Pentax.
"Borrows heavily" does not mean "same as", which was the original assertion. Also, I don't think the changes were in the name of cost-cutting, but were the result of the inability to use leaded glass in the modern version.
12-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #33
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,796
I see the misunderstanding:

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the pentax K 28mm f/2 is basically the same as the Zeiss T*28mm f/2
I was referring to the original German made Carl-zeiss lens,made in the 1970s which is widely sought after. I was not referring to the modern ZK version though the ZK version does have similarities, it is not the same.

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Also, I don't think the changes were in the name of cost-cutting
note the bevelling on the lens elements,it is expensive to do but they do that to allow lenses to be mounted closer together and is supposed to help flare performance. In the Cosina design, if it is optically accurate there is minimal use of bevelling. Bevelling the edges of lens elements is said to help prevent direct light sources from causing excess internal reflections between elements by deflecting or absorbing the light.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-15-2011 at 10:43 PM.
12-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #34
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I see the misunderstanding:



I was referring to the original German made Carl-zeiss lens,made in the 1970s which is widely sought after. I was not referring to the modern ZK version though the ZK version does have similarities, it is not the same.
I see. The modern ZK is still called a Distagon T*, though, hence the confusion. Thanks for the clarification.

12-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #35
Pentaxian
hoanpham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Strand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,366
Would it be wrong to get the K28/2?
How are the K28/2 and modern Distagon 28/2 compared?

May be it's too late for me, i already have the K28/2, but can i have photo samples of the modern distagon? Anyone with both?
12-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #36
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,796
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Would it be wrong to get the K28/2? How are the K28/2 and modern Distagon 28/2 compared?
Considering Zeiss no longer makes lenses for pentax K mount I would stick to the classic pentax K 28mm f/2, the newer Cosina made Distagon isn't likely to have any optical advantage over it, in fact it is probably worse. The only advantage I can think the newer lens would have over the older one is the ability to transmit aperture data to the camera body for AE - but that is it.
12-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #37
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Considering Zeiss no longer makes lenses for pentax K mount I would stick to the classic pentax K 28mm f/2, the newer Cosina made Distagon isn't likely to have any optical advantage over it, in fact it is probably worse. The only advantage I can think the newer lens would have over the older one is the ability to transmit aperture data to the camera body for AE - but that is it.
I wouldn't claim that the ZK is better, but I also doubt that it's worse. It has a slight curvature in the near field (which can be used to good effect), but is otherwise a top-notch lens. I have held a K28 before and can tell you that the MF action of the ZK is considerably better in feel and dampening. If the ZK 28/2 were AF, I wouldn't even have a reason to own the FA31, and I'm actually still not sure I do, as the 28 is pretty easy to focus. I prefer the images that the 28 produces.
12-17-2011, 04:47 AM   #38
Veteran Member
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,754
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I wouldn't claim that the ZK is better, but I also doubt that it's worse. It has a slight curvature in the near field (which can be used to good effect), but is otherwise a top-notch lens. I have held a K28 before and can tell you that the MF action of the ZK is considerably better in feel and dampening. If the ZK 28/2 were AF, I wouldn't even have a reason to own the FA31, and I'm actually still not sure I do, as the 28 is pretty easy to focus. I prefer the images that the 28 produces.
The funny thing is that I sold my FA31 in favor of the K28/2. Yes, I find the K28/2 THAT good!

12-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #39
Pentaxian
hoanpham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Strand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,366
Thanks. I appreciate a lot. Never own a FA31.
12-18-2011, 01:21 AM   #40
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
There's a K28 in very good condition here going for $500. Seems a little too steep considering the Zeiss 28\2.8 is only ca. $350 although the CZ 28/2 ca. $1,000 !
12-18-2011, 02:05 AM   #41
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,796
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
There's a K28 in very good condition here going for $500. Seems a little too steep considering the Zeiss 28\2.8 is only ca. $350
there is actually a big difference in close focusing performance between the K 28mm f/2 and the Carl Zeiss 28mm f/2.8 - the f/2.8 version does not use a floating lens element. The funny thing is people are willing to pay so much for a German made Carl Zeiss lens just because of the name.
12-18-2011, 02:25 AM   #42
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
there is actually a big difference in close focusing performance between the K 28mm f/2 and the Carl Zeiss 28mm f/2.8 - the f/2.8 version does not use a floating lens element. The funny thing is people are willing to pay so much for a German made Carl Zeiss lens just because of the name.
Yes I know that. However I personally don't use the 28/2.8 for close work. I posted a link in an earlier post comparing the 28/2.8 to the 31 Ltd and it fares very well indeed. Having not had an opportunity to try the 28/2 I'm not sure how much better it can be for a $650 price difference !
12-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #43
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Having not had an opportunity to try the 28/2 I'm not sure how much better it can be for a $650 price difference !
Firstly, I paid about $100 less for my ZK28/2 brand new than I did for my FA31, and considering that I actually prefer it, it's hard to complain about the price. As far as comparing it to an old Zeiss, the law of diminishing returns definitely applies here, as it usually does. If it needs to be "$650 better", for it to be worth it to you, then it most likely will fail your standard. It's absolutely worth it to me. I'm too anal about my equipment to buy anything used, for one thing, and the fact that I got a lens with the build quality of the ZK's that gives beautiful results makes it a lens that I will almost certainly have for a lifetime.
12-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #44
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Firstly, I paid about $100 less for my ZK28/2 brand new than I did for my FA31, and considering that I actually prefer it, it's hard to complain about the price. As far as comparing it to an old Zeiss, the law of diminishing returns definitely applies here, as it usually does. If it needs to be "$650 better", for it to be worth it to you, then it most likely will fail your standard. It's absolutely worth it to me. I'm too anal about my equipment to buy anything used, for one thing, and the fact that I got a lens with the build quality of the ZK's that gives beautiful results makes it a lens that I will almost certainly have for a lifetime.
Hmm that's not actually telling me much more than that you like to buy new lenses ! Have you previously owned/used the 28/2.8 ? Did you see the reviews comparing it favourably to the 31 Ltd ? IYO how does the K28/2 (have you tried/owned it) compare to your 31 Ltd and to your 28/2 ZK ? Is US$500 for a K28/2 a reasonable asking price or OTT ? Thanks !
12-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #45
Pentaxian
hoanpham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Strand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,366
500usd seems like a very cheap price. I think the seller was announced it to be 700 CAD.
K28/2 is discountinued, while fa 31 i can buy anytime. Choice is between the newer distagon or the k28/2. I pick the k28/2. More difficult to get.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
carl, carl zeiss t*, distagon, k-5, k-mount, lens, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens, sonnar, zeiss
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: M42 lenses: Helios 44-2 (58mm/f2) and Carl Zeiss 58mm/f2 (Worldwide) geauxpez Sold Items 6 03-17-2011 04:54 PM
Carl Zeiss lenses ozlizard Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 10-16-2009 06:41 AM
For Sale - Sold: Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20mm/4 and Tessar 50/2.8 Zebra style lenses farfisa Sold Items 3 10-09-2009 11:51 AM
Carl Zeiss on K7? petercrane Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 08-04-2009 06:19 PM
2 New Lenses Annouced by Carl Zeiss & Sigma for PENTAX creampuff Pentax News and Rumors 168 09-18-2008 07:52 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top