Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Sigma 17-70mm OS quick question

Ok, I briefly looked for this but couldn't find the answer. Anyway, I read that the OS on sigma's lens really isn't that beneficial because of the Pentax's in body SR. Now, unless I am missing something here, the SR is automatically turned off when shooting with a remote on the K-x. I use a remote A LOT and so often don't have this feature available.

Most people say it isnt beneficial to dish out the extra money for the OS, but in my case if I buy the Sigma 17-70 DC OS HSM would I be able to have the OS turned on while using a remote? If so, I think the OS is definitely going to be the best option for me. Any thoughts?

05-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it will stay on when using the remote. Isn't it the case that SR is only disabled when the self-timer option is engaged? Remember that when on a tripod, SR isn't going to be of much help unless the whole setup is somehow moving.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is off with the self timer as well as with the remote, although I did have to go double check that. Unless I have some obscure setting changed somewhere?
I suppose that is true about the tripod although I do a lot of traveling/hiking and so the tripod I use is pretty light weight and I didn't have the money to get a nice one. So, its a little flimsy. The OS might not help much but there have been times where I am sure it would have been a little beneficial.
05-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #4

Can the OS be enabled while the SR is enabled? If so, does that mean that it'll be twice as good?

05-10-2011, 02:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by demuire Quote
Can the OS be enabled while the SR is enabled? If so, does that mean that it'll be twice as good?
Yes, it can be, but it means your pictures will be worse, not better. SR will attempt to stabilize an image that is already stabilized by OS, which will introduce blur from the sensor movement. You should use one or the other, not both.
05-11-2011, 02:19 AM   #6

Hmm, that's interesting. Makes me wonder if the HSM is worth paying the extra for then, some people seem to say that in the 17-70mm the HSM isn't all that much faster than the non-HSM... Don't know if that's true though!