Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

MF telephoto or AF prime

LBA is causing me to spend my extra money on more lenses
Currently I have the 18-55mm kit lens and a M 50mm f2.

I was planning on getting either:

a 80-200mm manual focus lens for about $30 used along with another prime (wide angle or portrait focal length).

-or-

an AF lens with a focal length of >100mm(prime or zoom)

I can MF decently well, but when I want a family member to take a photo, I have to change back to the AF kit lens for them to not take a OOF picture . MF is a lot more fun and I feel like I'm in control, but AF is more convenient.

05-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tell us what you would like to spend and we'll make sure you spend every dime. I've never owned one but the F 70-210(?) seems to be pretty well thought of by its owners. Personally though, I would save my money and get something like the DA 55-300 if I were in that sort of market.

05-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have $100 saved up right now. I'll have more by the end of the month if money doesn't magically disappear from my credit card
05-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Well, I don't think you're going to find a 100mm or longer prime auto focus lens for that kind of money so inexpensive zoom it is, if you're in a hurry.. This is the lens I was speaking of.

SMC Pentax-F 70-210mm F4-5.6 Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

I do have experience with the F35-70 and it's actually a nice lens but that's as far as my experience with the F type lenses goes.

05-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Do you happen to know if these lenses are good?

Quantaray 70-210mm f/4-5.6
Vivitar 70-210mm f/4.5
Sears 80-200mm f/4.0

B&H are selling them used for around $30
05-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I doubt any of them are auto focus and I thought that's what you wanted. I don't really know anything about those lenses though but if I were going to buy one of them, it would probably be the Vivitar (I have one I use to use on my Olympus film camera). There are probably 100 different versions of each of those lenses as they were all made (I think) by third party makers and badged for the given brands. That still goes on. Things you are likely to run into with lenses like that are (but not limited to)

Zoom creep (the inability of the lens to hold it's zoom position),

Possible Ricoh pin (google it)

Shielding flange on the mount too big to allow the lens to mount.

The latter two will require some surgery to be able to use them on the digital Pentax SLRs.

They are all capable of putting light on sensor and possibly quite well. The king of cheapo bargain lenses is RioRico and he has probably owned all 3. I'm sure he'll be around shortly and can probably better advise you than I can on those particular lenses. My actual advice, if your money is burning a hole in your pockets just pick one. They are probably all about the same quality.

05-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok thx!

I decided to just buy one of those lenses and save up for an AF prime later.
I hope my LBA dies down soon.
05-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jellyfish26 Quote
Ok thx!

I decided to just buy one of those lenses and save up for an AF prime later.
I hope my LBA dies down soon.
lmao

You've been bit. There's no turning back now...

A tip if you do ebay, craigslist, etc.

Look for 35mm Pentax camera outfits. Often a real bargain can be had if you know what you are looking at. Many times, you can sell what you don't want from the outfit and completely recover your money if not profit.

05-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jellyfish26 Quote
Do you happen to know if these lenses are good?

Quantaray 70-210mm f/4-5.6
Vivitar 70-210mm f/4.5
Sears 80-200mm f/4.0
I've not tried the Quantaray (probably Tokina) so I can't comment. I have the other two.

The Viv (made in Japan by Kiron) in PKM mount cost me US$6.66 shipped. I've not used it much, but it passed my initial sharpness and fringing tests, so I'll call it a decent lens. I need to give it the lens-of-the-day workout, yes I do.

The Sears (made in Korea by Samyang) in KAR mount cost me US$8. So did the other three copies in PKM and M42 mounts that I sold for an average of US$17 each. (Enough redundancy is enough!) Its situation is the same as my Vivitar-Kiron. Note: it's Ricoh 'pin' is actually the non-toxic nub. I've never had a Sears KAR lens stick on any of my Pentax PK-mount cameras.

The major differences that I can point to are:

1) the Sears-Samyang that I kept is labeled MACRO and close-focuses to 0.45m while the Viv only goes to 2m. I'm not sure of the other Sears copies.

2) Kiron is generally considered a better lensmaker than Samyang in that era. But I've seen some pretty snappy images posted from the Sears. Also note that the Viv is a tad slower than the Sears. But they're both fixed-maximum-aperture, which is good. I would be wary of a variable aperture lens like the Quantaray.

3) My Sears-Samyang has the easy-to-meter KAR mount. My Vivitar-Kiron has the slower-to-use PKM mount.

So, either the Sears or the Vivitar should be decent lenses for you. You should probably check the details of their mounts and close-focus, and decide what's important to you. Note that neither communicates automatically with the SR system. According to arcane formulae, 114mm is the ideal FL to tell the SR'bot. The closest I can come on my K20D is 120mm, which should be close enough.

Hope this helps.