Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a re-branded Samyang lens. I had one before it was stolen and loved it. It has a special quality about it. I paid AU$400ish for it, and it was worth every cent. KA mount with aperture ring.

05-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sadeq-x Quote
If you see an A position on the aperture ring it indicates its a PKA mount. I can see an A position in that picture.
05-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The Rokinon Branded ones are KA mounts on all of the samyang manufactured lenses...
05-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
Have you posted any pix of or with your conversions?
If I started posting results pictures, I'd have ZERO time left for anything else! As for the conversions of N/AI, OM, C/Y, Petri, and Exakta mounts, I've documented them both here and on the MLFenses.Com forums, some with photos. But they're mostly simple enough that words suffice.

The N/AI-PK conversion (destructive): The aperture ring has "nub and arc" protrusions. I use a Dremel metal-cutting blade to cut those off, then a sanding blade to smooth the bottom of that ring. When the cutting blade has worn down to about 12mm / 0.5in diameter, I cut a slot about 1mm deep and wide and 5mm long in the N/AI lens base, for the PK locking pin to engage. Blow all the dust away, and the lens will now lock into a PK mount and will (safely) shot the mount pins, thus enabling CIF.

My workshop: In good weather, I work on a 2x6in back-porch railing. In bad weather, I put a 1x8 plank over my bathroom sink. Only the finest facilities, eh?

05-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks guys 4 ur opinions and discussions
05-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Just pulled the trigger on the Rokinon version, supposed to get it today. *Excitement*
05-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Bought the Vivitar last week from B&H, insaneeeelllllllyyyyyyyyy good lens...

05-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by icywindow Quote
Just pulled the trigger on the Rokinon version, supposed to get it today. *Excitement*
Lookin' forward to sample images!
05-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Got it this morning; it's on the K20D, and I have taken about 20 shots with it.

First impressions:
It feels pretty heavy for the outside being polycarbonate. The front element doesn't look as big as it is. The lens mounts pretty tightly to the camera. Turning the focus ring takes some effort, and it has no momentum (that is, starting turning the ring does not make it any easier to move). The finish of the outside of the lens feels cheap.

After a few shots, it seems to me that the optimal range is about 6 feet away. The front element lets _so_ much light into the camera. The DOF is frustrating for focus, but it does "magically" come into focus as you turn the focus ring. You get the idea pretty quickly that it works best if you can take your time for the shot. Shots ranging from f1.4 to 2.8 all are rather sharp at the focus point, and bokeh is creamy and delightful.

I am frustrated by this lens, but not because of the lens - instead because it cuts against my (lack of) skills. I think this Rokinon's going to be on my camera for a good while to train my eyes for focus and DOF.

I'll post pictures after this weekend.
05-19-2011, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It feels pretty heavy for the outside being polycarbonate.
It's actually both metal and polycarbonate, the outer front (focus ring/filter threads) is where I think most of the plastic is.

The lens mounts pretty tightly to the camera.
It's the tightest fitting lens of all of my lenses by a good margin. Not sure what's up with that.

The finish of the outside of the lens feels cheap.
I wouldn't say cheap... but I wouldn't say luxurious either. Somewhere in between. In fact, I noticed that the texture pattern of the lens finish (Rokinon at least, and I assume the Vivitar is the same and they only changed the rubber grip pattern and text coloring) is an almost identical match to my K200D, and I don't think that feels cheap.

The DOF is frustrating for focus, but it does "magically" come into focus as you turn the focus ring.
I'd strongly recommend a replacement focus screen and a Pentax O-ME53 or Tenpa 1.36 magnifying eyecup. They help a lot.
05-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #26
Veteran Member

+1.

As far as my cheapness comment, it felt like the plastic wasn't finished or sanded, so it has speckles on the finish. Not really a big deal.

Also, the sharpness of this thing even in low light is lovely. I had to post this shot, just taken wide open, pointed directly at the mirror. My stance is wrong, but this is the best one of the bunch. I love this lens.

and cropped:

05-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Originally posted by icywindow*
The lens mounts pretty tightly to the camera.
It's the tightest fitting lens of all of my lenses by a good margin. Not sure what's up with that.
The Rokinon FE lens is also an extremely tight fit. Oddly enough, I have the Vivitar version and the fit actually feels normal...
05-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks icywindow and all 0f u guys
05-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote

I'd strongly recommend a replacement focus screen and a Pentax O-ME53 or Tenpa 1.36 magnifying eyecup. They help a lot.
I ordered a Tenpa on your recommendation. Looks interesting. I've got a question - can you see the whole screen with the Tenpa in place, or just the center?
05-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I ordered a Tenpa on your recommendation. Looks interesting. I've got a question - can you see the whole screen with the Tenpa in place, or just the center?
I only have direct experience with the Pentax O-ME3, but based on reviews of the Tenpa, as long as you don't wear glasses, you'll see the whole screen, but might have to move your eye a bit to see the info display below the viewfinder image.