Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Vivitar 85mm f/1.4

Hello guys how r u doing ... am planing to buy this lens after i enjoyed watching a lot of pictures that this lens create in flicker .. really Sharp great bokeh that's all i need ... and it is about 310 dollar ... so what do u think guys .. first i want it for my k-x ... the manual focusing not a problem with me i can handle it ... what do recommend and is there anything that i don't know or the disadvantage of this lens ... please share with me ur opinion ... and what is the difference between it and for example the sigma 85mm f1.4 ? the difference in cost is about 640 dollar why is that

05-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sadeq-x Quote
... and what is the difference between it and for example the sigma 85mm f1.4 ? the difference in cost is about 640 dollar why is that
Autofocus and marketing. BTW, you can get the Rokinon 85/1.4 for less than $300 (~$250-270). It's exactly the same lens as the Vivitar. All that's different is the cosmetics.
05-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yeah that's true i found it in amazon about 270 so i will save 40 dollar ... thanks boriscleto .. waitin another opinion
05-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the vivitar version, which is KA mount, I have heard some other rebranded Samyang lenses are not KA mount but K mount.

You need to check this point out, as KA mount is very important if you want to have the automatic exposure and P-TTL flash functions.

If the cheaper lens is K mount, the additional $ are well worth it.

Otherwise as others have noted the vivitar is the same lens, but cosmetically different

05-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
how do i know 4 example this is the link of the lens

Amazon.com: Rokinon 85M-P 85mm F1.4 Aspherical Lens for Pentax (Black): Electronics
05-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have the vivitar version, which is KA mount, I have heard some other rebranded Samyang lenses are not KA mount but K mount.
The reviews on Amazon would seem to indicate otherwise.
05-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
referring to the KA mount, there were several threads when this lens first cam out that it was available in both K and KA mount. I know the vivitar is KA mount, I have had one for 2 years now,

All I am advising is Make Sure.

05-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I plan on purchasing the Rokinon if I can't figure out how to convert my Canon 85 1.8 to PK mount. (I'm working on converting a 35 f2 that was broken; if I get it right, I might do the 85 1.8 ) Every Rokinon I've seen in Pentax mount was a PK/A, but obviously I haven't seen all of them. I would *like* to have the A, but not for P-TTL (otherwise known as "pathetic"-ttl ) but for TAv mode (which is awesome on the K-5).
05-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
referring to the KA mount, there were several threads when this lens first cam out that it was available in both K and KA mount. I know the vivitar is KA mount, I have had one for 2 years now,

The threads were due to resellers combining pictures of the Nikon or Canon mount lenses, which don't have the same aperture ring (it lacks the "A"), with listings for the Pentax lens (on ebay and websites selling the lens). People were concerned, taking this for face value, hence the posts in forums. I have never seen any evidence of a Samyang (aka Rokinon/Vivitar/Polar/Bower/Opteka/Falcon) 85mm f/1.4 lens ever being anything but KA mount in real life.
05-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I plan on purchasing the Rokinon if I can't figure out how to convert my Canon 85 1.8 to PK mount.
My Nikkor 85/2 cost me US$9 (shipped) on eBay. I shaved the base protrusions and it fits fine on my K20D. I don't need no Rokinon, nyah nyah nyah.

Well, yeah, a PKA-mount Fast 85 would be real Nice To Have. I'll be sure to get one, next time I rob a minimart. But hay, DOF is almost as thin on my KAR-mount Focal 135/2.8 (US$27). Whew, that'll keep me from a life of crime.
05-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My Nikkor 85/2 cost me US$9 (shipped) on eBay. I shaved the base protrusions and it fits fine on my K20D. I don't need no Rokinon, nyah nyah nyah.

Well, yeah, a PKA-mount Fast 85 would be real Nice To Have. I'll be sure to get one, next time I rob a minimart. But hay, DOF is almost as thin on my KAR-mount Focal 135/2.8 (US$27). Whew, that'll keep me from a life of crime.
Yeah, but that's an f2... Did you get it to latch? Many other people who've spoken about putting Nikkors on their P/K said it would fall off if they weren't careful. Seems like it shouldn't be hard, anyway, right? And you probably can't use TAv mode, which is one of the reasons I'd spring for the Rokinon(and friends). But I love that Nikkor! good on ye! Post some pictures!

Last edited by jstevewhite; 05-09-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: clarity
05-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
Yeah, but that's an f2... Did you get it to latch? Many other people who've spoken about putting Nikkors on their P/K said it would fall off if they weren't careful. Seems like it shouldn't be hard, anyway, right?
Yes it latches. No it ain't hard. All that's needed is to dremel a slot for the latching pin to engage. I've done that with most of my N/AI-mount glass, and will finish up when I return home in a few weeks. The mod on AI lenses allows CIF. That trick doesn't quite work with pre-AI mounts like my Nikkor-O 35/2, so I just have to be careful not to focus too far/hard! And forget CIF.

QuoteQuote:
And you probably can't use TAv mode, which is one of the reasons I'd spring for the Rokinon(and friends).
Nope, can't use it with TAv on my K20D. I seem to recall some contact-pin trick to make the camera think it's A-type, and TAv is certainly useful for action shooting. But I'm a slow guy, heh. However I get good results in Av with Auto-ISO. Set the iris, point at a subject, hold the shutter down and twist the focus till it shoots dead-on. No problem!
05-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yes it latches. No it ain't hard. All that's needed is to dremel a slot for the latching pin to engage. I've done that with most of my N/AI-mount glass, and will finish up when I return home in a few weeks. The mod on AI lenses allows CIF. That trick doesn't quite work with pre-AI mounts like my Nikkor-O 35/2, so I just have to be careful not to focus too far/hard! And forget CIF.

Nope, can't use it with TAv on my K20D. I seem to recall some contact-pin trick to make the camera think it's A-type, and TAv is certainly useful for action shooting. But I'm a slow guy, heh. However I get good results in Av with Auto-ISO. Set the iris, point at a subject, hold the shutter down and twist the focus till it shoots dead-on. No problem!
Awesome. I might have to look around a bit. There were a couple of pieces of Nikkor glass I really, really liked - be nice to throw 'em on my K-5!

Have you posted any pix of or with your conversions?
05-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
On the reviews on Amazon, they are mixed, meaning a ton of other people are posting reviews of the item from different mounts all together, and also you will see "I Have The XXXX Branded One" which is the same.

The KA and K is correct when samyang manufactures these. When I bought the Samyang FE, it was the same way. The Rokinon branded one and the other brands that cost above it had the "A" setting, the lower priced ones did not.

How do you like it thus far? I am planning on purchasing the Vivitar one only because I like the Vivitar name and if I am not mistaken the focus ring is slightly different on this version of it.

I would love to hear some stuff on the performance of this!!!!!!!

EDIT: Btw, for budget glass, Samyang glass is my first choice, the FE sold me on them! As a matter of fact, I would even choose a Samyang MF lens over a Sigma MF lens if they met the same specs - unfortunately, Samyang doesn't manufacture autofocus lenses (at least none that I have seen)...

-

Last edited by joe.penn; 05-09-2011 at 04:03 PM.
05-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check the lens clubs. I started a samyang lens club. I copied my posted photos to there