Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
missed the point of the lens...and as far as CA goes, this lens was invented before CA was a problem for any of us, so what's the point? It's from the film days....
The problem with CA was exactly the same in the film days, but you had to print some large prints to see it. Another thing is that the problem with CA and coma is definitely exaggerated with that substandard copy they tested.
QuoteQuote:
A great lens, and I hope they review the digital version (the 40 pancake).
They did years ago, but they didn't have a chance to translate it so far - here it is machine translated:
Google Translate

05-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
The problem with CA was exactly the same in the film days, but you had to print some large prints to see it. Another thing is that the problem with CA and coma is definitely exaggerated with that substandard copy they tested.
They did years ago, but they didn't have a chance to translate it so far - here it is machine translated:
Google Translate
Wow, didn't realize they didn't keep their reviews in sync, just found a review of Sigma 24/1.8 on the polish version! Thanks!
05-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
missed the point of the lens...and as far as CA goes, this lens was invented before CA was a problem for any of us, so what's the point? It's from the film days....

A great lens, and I hope they review the digital version (the 40 pancake).
A small technical point worth noting: The DA40 is not a digital version of the FA43. It is a fine lens, but of a different design. Most, but not all, owners of both prefer the FA.

Rob
05-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #19
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Like Jun Hirakawa (the guy in my avatar and the designer of the FA43) said: I don't design lenses for test charts. End of story
A wise quote from a genius.
The lens (along with the other FA ltds) is simply a brilliant piece of optical and physical engineering.

05-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
A wise quote from a genius.
The lens (along with the other FA ltds) is simply a brilliant piece of optical and physical engineering.
+1

Yeah for myself, the FA Trio were one of the deciding factors to join Pentax, the images were consistently amazing. I don't care what the numbers say, the look, feel construction and craftsmanship is obvious in the lenses, and 1000's of photos around net show this again, and again and again....

I really enjoy my Canikon friends, who will lookup a review or quote a number and PF/CA and I laugh, because i've seen the images again, and again. FA Limiteds only true fault is the price we have to pay for them....
05-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This review of the FA43/1.9 is interesting; however I’d take it with a grain of salt. The test results of a 14 year old lens designed for film cameras, on a new APS-C DSLR, doesn’t necessarily indicate the lenses true quality.

I’d be more interested & value an old review of the FA 43 from when it came out; using a Pentax MZ/ZX series film body. This also holds true for the FA31 & FA77 LTDs.

Phil.
05-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
I am not sure if this is true. The optical performance of a lens is dependant on it's design and build quality rather than the body it is used on. One of the joys of using an RF camera is that it is much easier to use a wide range of lenses from different makers and to be able to explore the feel/look that each has.

I can't speak for the US but several of the UK based camera magazines addopted it as their benchmark lens when it came out. I will see if I have a scan of one of the reports in my archive aomewhere.

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
This review of the FA43/1.9 is interesting; however I’d take it with a grain of salt. The test results of a 14 year old lens designed for film cameras, on a new APS-C DSLR, doesn’t necessarily indicate the lenses true quality.

I’d be more interested & value an old review of the FA 43 from when it came out; using a Pentax MZ/ZX series film body. This also holds true for the FA31 & FA77 LTDs.

Phil.

05-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to wonder if sample variation might not be at work in some of these reviews. I own all three FA limiteds. And I have to say that my 43 is, generally speaking, the sharpest of the bunch.

The lens also seems to render a scene somewhat differently from the 31 and the 77.

I don't know what it is about the 43 limited, but I think it is a magical little lens.

Last edited by Byrd-2020; 05-12-2011 at 12:24 PM.
05-12-2011, 05:44 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
I have to wonder if sample variation might not be at work in some of these reviews.
Definitely. As was said before - they tested poor MIV copy. My MIJ version is much better:

coma @f/1.9 (center - left, far corner - right)

CA & sharpness @f/1.9

CA & sharpness @f/2.8

*default Lightroom 3 settings
05-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #25

I just bought the 43 (and a K-5 from B&H last night. Are all the MIV that bad? Jaad your samples are much more impressive. How is Lightroom/ACR at fixing CA with this lens? I had hopes of doing stitching with this lens. Little worried now...

New to the forum and Pentax. Thanks in advance!

-chris
05-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Like Jun Hirakawa (the guy in my avatar and the designer of the FA43) said: I don't design lenses for test charts. End of story
In fact he designed for the "flavor" of the lens.....tests unfortunately doesn't measure "flavor"....fa43 my favorite lens.
05-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #27

Photos: Albums
My copy of the lens was MIV, and its sharp. I love this thing.
05-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I like his model...
I didn't read the review, but I looked at some of the pics, and every single picture of that blonde chick is front-focused. WTF.
05-28-2011, 04:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vario Quote
My copy of the lens was MIV, and its sharp. I love this thing.
My copy is MIJ...it doesn't matter where the lens is put together.
05-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
I didn't read the review, but I looked at some of the pics, and every single picture of that blonde chick is front-focused. WTF.
I wonder if they had a wonky copy of the K-5 regarding focus.