Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I can fit a safe cheap thick non-infinity-focus M42-PK adapter to the Meyer to bring its view in even closer....
That's a good tip!
I too love my Pentacon 50 1.8 for close-up work, I rather use it for other things, so will give it a try.

I think the Orestor is the best and cheapest fifty for close-foucus shots and the bokeh it quiet unique.

Another good thing is, that you can close the aperture easy till 2.8 without getting hexagon highlights, the 6 blades are nicely rounded.
Just made some quick examples back in t he garden with quick and dirty PP (colors are untouched, contrast and brightness enhanced):

Here you find the the Album with more Pictures.

Last edited by Regentag; 05-11-2011 at 06:51 AM.
05-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
DO these m42 adapters come in different lengths?
I just got a regular one :/
Closer focus would be sensational
05-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
DO these m42 adapters come in different lengths?
I just got a regular one :/
Closer focus would be sensational
I use various M42-PK adapters:

* I now have two Official Pentax thin-flange infinity-focus adapters. (The latest was Real Cheap.) I use these if I only plan to use some of my dozens of un-adapted M42's all day.

* I have a bunch of cheap clones of the Official Pentax adapter. Same flange, just REMOVE THE SPRING AND CLIP TO AVOID GOING BATSHIT CRAZY! These (often branded as Bower) are mostly tightened onto my most-used M42's, effectively converting them to PK-M mounts.

* On a couple of those clones, I have have sanded away about 0.6mm of the thin flange. I use these on Exakta-mount lenses, to allow infinity focus. How-2: Glue a cheap M39-M42 adapter ring around the Exakta bayonet. Screw-on the thinned adapter. Shoot merrily.

* And finally, the adapter I mentioned before: Cheap safe wide-and-thick-flanged non-infinity-focus adapters. These typically cost about US$5 on eBay, are painted black, have a wide flange that safely locks onto a PK mount. Such an adapter is 1mm thicker than the Official Pentax and its clones. This loses infinity focus and pushes close focus a little closer; shorter lenses gain a closer focus than do longer ones. Scrape off the black paint in the appropriate place, and CIF is enabled. I'll use this whenever I don't care about infinity, or on long cheap teles that normally focus past infinity. Used on lenses for portraiture, it insures that infinity will be OOF (out of focus).

Another cheap trick for closer focus is... macro tubes! Cheap M42 tubes (under US$10 shipped) come in three parts, typically around 10-15-25mm. Mount a 50mm lens on all three ant it reaches 1:1 macro magnification. Or just use the 10mm tube to reach about 1:6, pushing the close focus to within a few inches. I've not measured the exct close-focus distance; I'll leave that as an exercise for you, eh?