Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's also interesting that the store is only advertising it as available for Pentax mount - not Canikon/Sony. That's gotta be a first
I believe that's because in Canikon mount, there's a HSM added to the lens designation; i.e. it's screw driven for K-mount, but has HSM for F-mount and EF-mount

05-17-2011, 02:01 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote
Hello! Can you compare the da300 with the converter and the sigma?

Thanks Andras
IMO they both are excellent lens.I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

Sigma:
Pros:Sharp at f5.6,1:3 macro, accurate focus,focus limiter
Cons: Heavy, screw drive

DA*300mm
Pros: Light, Sharp at f4, 1.4m close focus, 510mm with the AF Adapter, WR, SDM
Cons: no focus limiter, can sometime focus hunt.

The quality of the images from both the lens is great. There are sutble colour variations which I observed which I put it to coatings used.
06-01-2011, 04:28 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just an update on this.

I heard from the camera store (CameraAction) today - 3 weeks after placing my order - that the Sigma 400mm APO tele-macro lens is actually NOT available anymore from Sigma. Which is what I suspected all along.

They said it wasn't available 'due to the impact of the earthquake etc in Japan on Sigma's operations', but I think they just got it wrong from the beginning. It's simply an old model lens that was discontinued years ago.

They are offering me a Sigma 150-500 OS at a good price as a substitute - any thoughts on that lens (mainly to be used for birding)? The 50-500 bigma is out of my price range, alas.

It's either than or I get my cash back and keep an eye out for a prime in the 400mm range here or on fleabay.
06-01-2011, 04:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

This great Sigma lens is out of production for a long time.
I asked my Sigmabody about this lens years ago,cause i had one and sold it.Stupid.
The Zooms are not to compare,the old 400 is absolut great on film and digital.
Much higher contrast and sharpness than the complete Sigmazooms.
When you can get it,take it.
I used it years on Pentax LX and Z1p.
One of my biggest mistakes to sell this lens.

06-01-2011, 05:38 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
The Zooms are not to compare,the old 400 is absolut great
That's what I suspected. I'm tempted by the 150-500 but I know it will probably be a step down in quality compared to the 400mm.

Sigh.
02-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #21

Sigma 400mm 5.6 APO Tele Macro - still around?

Over the years a had 3 copies of this lens. The first one had fungi in it and not even Sigma Japan could clean it, because there are out of some circlips that are likely to break. Which means they cannot produce one on order either. I bought my second one a couple of years ago. Excellent lens, no fungi, very little dust, and cosmetically fine, except some paint from the focus limiter switch gone. I recently found my third copy, couldn't believe my eyes, NIB. I intend to put my second one on Ebay soon.