Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #1

Is this normal!? 16-45mm flare problem!

So is this kind of "Line flare" normal? I noticed it on some daylight pictures with sun, but JUST when the sun is on right side. No problems when light source is on the left. With my humble eyes i cant see any schraches on lens but there is some dust inside. Can that be a problem? I wouldnt ask but I think is just weird that shows up only on left side of picture. Maybe cleaning in service would help? Once again there is SOME dust inside but nothing unusual..

examples:

Attachment 91078

Attachment 91079

Last edited by SMeK; 10-06-2011 at 02:33 PM.
05-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
i would say something wrong in lens coating.

maybe add more images from same light source in different edge to compare.

other ways theres no way telling if this is just normal flare.
05-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SMeK Quote
So is this kind of "Line flare" normal? I noticed it on some daylight pictures with sun, but JUST when the sun is on right side. No problems when light source is on the left. With my humble eyes i cant see any schraches on lens but there is some dust inside. Can that be a problem? I wouldnt ask but I think is just weird that shows up only on left side of picture. Maybe cleaning in service would help? Once again there is SOME dust inside but nothing unusual..

examples:

Attachment 91078

Attachment 91079
Does not look all that outré. You have bright light sources in-frame, you're going to get flare. The line looks more like an internal reflection, but that's hard to nail down from two images.
05-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #4

Original Poster
Here you go. some more examples...

IF is coating, can that be fixed? Will be expensive?

Name:  ckrva.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  116.2 KB

Attachment 91083

Attachment 91084

Last edited by SMeK; 10-06-2011 at 02:33 PM.
05-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing seems wrong with your lens. The star effect is normal, as is flaring if you fire a ridiculously bright light source straight through the lens.
05-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #6

Original Poster
thanks adam and all other for responses. I just made comprasion with kit lens, an old M50 F1.7 and didnt notice this on mentioned lens. As you can see this is the case with sunlight which is not in frame :-(
05-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

do you have any filters on the front? UV?

05-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It appears that the artifact is in the exact same spot in three different images. If so, that would suggest a reflection from something in or on the camera. The parallel lines in the first image and the non-radial nature of the artifact doesn't seem characteristic of flare to me.

H2
05-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
It appears that the artifact is in the exact same spot in three different images. If so, that would suggest a reflection from something in or on the camera. The parallel lines in the first image and the non-radial nature of the artifact doesn't seem characteristic of flare to me.

H2
The new images make it clear. Pacerr is right.

For what it's worth, that is on your sensor, not your lens. It might be a hair or something, but ... to me, because it's white rather than black, it looks more like a scratch. Get it checked by a competent technician.
05-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, he did not notide it with the 50mm f/1.5 lens - must be the coating or scratches on one of the elements.
05-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Well, he did not notide it with the 50mm f/1.5 lens - must be the coating or scratches on one of the elements.
I would recommend that he re-test. Scratches in the coatings WILL NOT result in this sort of thing. Neither will scratches on the glass. Don't believe me? Take a piece of low-tack tape, cut a 1mm wide strip, and stick it on your lens. Try and reproduce this. Mostly, you wont' even be able to tell it's there.

Back element scratches are different, but don't produce this sort of local consistency.
05-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Look to me like a hair on the sensor which would be visible in all situations where small apertures are used, not just bright lights. Easy to test the theory, just use 2 different lenses at f22 and shoot a white wall or blue sky.

EDIT: actually I think I'm wrong, dust/hair on the sensor would appear dark in the photo not white. hmmmm, never seen this kind of thing before.
05-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

thanks adam and all other for responses. I just made comprasion with kit lens, an old M50 F1.7 and didnt notice this on mentioned lens. As you can see this is the case with sunlight which is not in frame :-(
The 50mm is not as wide and therefore less prone to flare. However, similar results should be expected in direct light.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #14

Original Poster
I have tested same lens with my brother K-x now and result is the same! So it is the lens. But what. Now I am just confused. There is one peace of dust like hair inside lens which is long 1mm, maybe less, just in front of leaves. And no there is no any filters on lens. So what do you suggest?

Last edited by SMeK; 05-10-2011 at 10:48 PM.
05-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have tested same lens with my brother K-x now and result is the same! So it is the lens. But what. Now I am just confused. There is one peace of dust like hair inside lens which is long 1mm, maybe less, just in front of leaves. And no there is no any filters on lens. So what do you suggest?
Hrm.... just near the aperture leaves, eh? If you put the same lens on another camera and it does the same thing, then you're right, can't be the sensor. Perhaps there is some point in the image path where projection is clear... I'm having a hard time imagining how an obstruction could leave a WHITE streak like that, though.

Take it to a competent technician and see if they can remove it. Best advice I can offer.