Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tokina AF AT-X PRO 28-70 f/2.8 for $250. Worth it?

I'm being offered this lens for like $250 from a friend

I know these Tokinas are prone to flare, but I think this will be an easy PP fix. I've heard good stories about the AT-X line, just to make sure this one particular lens is as good. Oh yes, how do I know the difference between the usual and the SV version?

05-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I owned this lens a little while back (see here). It's a nice lens, and $250 is a decent price. I personally preferred my Tamron 28-75, which was a little sharper (wide open) and smaller/lighter. That said, the build of Tokina is solid and the overall IQ is very good (albeit prone to a bit of flare as you pointed out).
05-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
Oh yes, how do I know the difference between the usual and the SV version?
SV stands for "Special Value" (i.e. lower cost version) and it's easy to tell it from the other models because it says SV on it, as you can see in the pictures here.
05-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, I will be using this huge tank on my K20D. Will there be any problem?

05-12-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No problem as long as the lens is in good functioning condition.
05-12-2011, 05:33 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
minahasa,
It's worth giving it a try for this price tag. Just remember that every Tokina must have the hood on. Always. Period.
These babies are very sensitive to oblique light that ruins contrast.

Good luck,
Zig

P.S.
Do not forget to to adjust your AF settings when putting this one on.
05-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Siegfried Quote
Just remember that every Tokina must have the hood on.
Good advice for any lens, though the coatings on Pentax brand lenses tend to be better than other companies, so people can get away with not having the hood on as much with a Pentax lens.

Also note that since this Tokina is a full-frame lens, the hood that comes with it will be optimized for a full-frame exposure, so if you want to further reduce the chances of flare on an APS-C digital body, consider getting an aftermarket hood that's deeper (you'd need to some calculations to figure out the ideal hood size).

05-13-2011, 01:56 AM   #8

Does anyone knows if there is a big gap between the quality of the SV and non-SV Tokinas ?
And what about the value ? The SV is cheaper ?

Thanks for the answer...
05-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #9

lepiallou,
There're reports that there's a definite performance difference between 270PRO and 270SV lenses. I haven't tried any of them (just AF270 and 280PRO) so I can not say whether that difference is just slightly noticeable, noticeable, big or huge. 270SV is a low-cost version of 270PRO, it was cheaper those days when they were offered new.

Although photozone.de is no longer any favourite here on PF after they said that recently released DA18-135 does not deserve Pentax badge, but I personally still find their tests to be very valuable. You can refer to what they measured for both 270PRO and 270SV:
270PRO
270SV

Zig

Last edited by Siegfried; 05-13-2011 at 07:05 AM.
05-13-2011, 06:39 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, two weeks a go I had never heard of this lens. In that time I have bought one (for about the same price being discussed), found Ziggy, who knows all about them, and now find this thread. Simpatico.

As far as the lens goes, I think $250ish is a reasonable price for it. I like the colours. I like the heft. I like constant F2.8.

As they say in America, YMMV.
05-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #11

Thanks Siegfried for the links but it is just test of the Sv version. I didn't find anything about the non-SV version.

But I found about the slightly different Tokina AF 28-70mm f/2.8-2.6 AT-X Pro II here
And I am not sure that I really understand there conclusion...

Comparing the tests it seems that the SV 2.8 has better control of distortion and vignetting but 2.8-2.6 does better with CA. And photozone conclude that the 2.8-2.6 does better than the SV version ! Why is that ?

I hope I was clear enough !!!
05-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #12

Wayne,
It'd very interesting to read your opinion for your copy in a month or two (my experience tells me that quick hands-on isn't worth that much, there must be at least a month or two for an ordinary photographer who doesn't make 10K shots every week to learn a lens). Btw, what about Tokina-Angenieux lens club in that club section?

Zig

P.S.
I'm pleased to find myself rated that high for Tokina things - thanks - but actually that's quite simple: I really fell in love with AF270 and thus started drilling internet gathering those bits of its history. But I can't say I've got them all, nor even got any close to that.
05-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #13

lepiallou,
sorry for that typo, I've just corrected those links.

Once again: SV stands for Special Value where Special doesn't mean Great, Excellent or any such - it means lower, cheaper. So if you're on a tight budget then it's worth thinking about SV while if you're looking for better performance then you better look for 270PRO (28-70/2.8), 280PRO (28-80/2.8) or even original 28-70/2.6-2.8 (that is reported to appear in several variants).

There is also AF270 (note PRO designation missing) but it's a bit another story though sharing the same roots among other bros and sis'es mentioned above. I can't recommend AF270 for everyone unless AF speed is #1 priority (focus ring travel is 45 degrees only so AF is really fast) - most people tend to love exaggerative contrast and punchy colors while this lens renders it calm and quiet. All the Tokina's mentioned here tend to be calm (some say it's soft, but I'd go with calm - they all capture plenty of details, but just do not punch and emphasize it) but AF270 is the most calm among others (and missing that hefty look that PRO series is loved for).

Zig
05-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #14

I understood that SV is the cheap version of the 270PRO but in the photozone test it seems to me that the 270SV is doing better with distortion and vignetting than the 270PRO.

Am I right ?
05-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Siegfried Quote
Wayne,
It'd very interesting to read your opinion for your copy in a month or two (my experience tells me that quick hands-on isn't worth that much, there must be at least a month or two for an ordinary photographer who doesn't make 10K shots every week to learn a lens). Btw, what about Tokina-Angenieux lens club in that club section?

Zig

P.S.
I'm pleased to find myself rated that high for Tokina things - thanks - but actually that's quite simple: I really fell in love with AF270 and thus started drilling internet gathering those bits of its history. But I can't say I've got them all, nor even got any close to that.
Ziggy, I'll be sure to let you know, but for now I am having a lens affair with the Fa43 that came a couple of days after the Tokina. The TK may not see a mounting for some time.