Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
da*300mm f4 and Mack warranty

After 111 days I have received an email from mack today stating my lens is in the shipping department.

I sent the lens out January 16th. Almost 1/3 of a year later.

I will give more details after I receive my lens back.

Joe

05-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Whoa. That's terrible.
05-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Any indication as to what took them so long? Maybe they were just using up some of the remain warranty time. I would ask them for an extension given the length of time they have had it.

Edit: BTW, what was the issue?
05-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
They sent it to United binocular and camera repair and apparently mine was one of many with a long wait period.
I have not talked to them yet to get an understanding of what could have taken almost 4 months. I will wait until I receive the lens.
Then I will send a letter to pentax to let them be aware of my experience.

I sent it out on January 16th and will receive it May 16th.

They are listed on the pentax website as a certified pentax repair facility.

I am planning on asking Mack for an extension, Though I dont know if I can send it back to mack again. Way too stressful.
Joe

05-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
I received the lens today it is actually worst now then when I sent it out.

The aperture was sticking when it went below 50 degrees.
Now it is always stuck, I can not move it by hand at all.

All the other problems are still there also, Most likely caused by a stuck aperture, but....

Now I am PO.
Joe
05-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yikes, that's terrible. I feel for you... Do you think that they *actually* repaired, or attempted to repair the lens?
05-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #7

Original Poster
They did something because it is worse .

Things they listed are;
repair 2nd lens group and gmr sensor/ magnetic reader.
replaced main circuit board
Cleaned foreign substance from lens and adjusted auto focus and calibrated lens.

Customer service also stated that they changed the sdm motor.

So they fixed everything but what was broken

I think they just jammed the aperture mechanism when they put it back together.

05-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Ugh. Have you contacted them and told them the "bad news?"
05-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Stargeezer Quote
They did something because it is worse .

Things they listed are;
repair 2nd lens group and gmr sensor/ magnetic reader.
replaced main circuit board
Cleaned foreign substance from lens and adjusted auto focus and calibrated lens.

Customer service also stated that they changed the sdm motor.

So they fixed everything but what was broken

I think they just jammed the aperture mechanism when they put it back together.
My name is Desiree and I am the Customer Relations Supervisor for Mack Camera. I just wanted to apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused due to the lengthy repair time of your unit. We shipped your unit to an authorized repair facility in order to expedite the turn around time. However, the parts that were needed to repair your unit were on backorder from the manufacturer. This was a situation beyond our control. I would like to extend our sincerest apologies for the extended repair time. Since you are still experiencing a problem with your unit, we can issue a call tag and I will do everything in my power to ensure proper resolution. I can be reached via email at helpdesk@mackcam.com.
Thank you,
Desiree
05-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Desiree Quote
My name is Desiree and I am the Customer Relations Supervisor for Mack Camera. I just wanted to apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused due to the lengthy repair time of your unit. We shipped your unit to an authorized repair facility in order to expedite the turn around time. However, the parts that were needed to repair your unit were on backorder from the manufacturer. This was a situation beyond our control. I would like to extend our sincerest apologies for the extended repair time. Since you are still experiencing a problem with your unit, we can issue a call tag and I will do everything in my power to ensure proper resolution. I can be reached via email at helpdesk@mackcam.com.
Thank you,
Desiree
So why was the lens returned without being repaired, or at the very least, why was this situation not made clear to the owner of the lens when it was returned?
05-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Desiree Quote
Thank you,
Desiree
Excuse me,but yesterday I asked to speak to a supervisor who could assure me this would be taken care of in a timely manner and I was told by customer service there was no one I can talk to!!!!

After insisting, I was told I can talk to Eric (your repair supervisor)tuesday.
So I am very glad you responded to this thread.

I will email you directly
Thank you Joe
05-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
So why was the lens returned without being repaired, or at the very least, why was this situation not made clear to the owner of the lens when it was returned?
They thought it was repaired.
The service manager for mack said they normally don't qc
when the product is sent out to a certified repair facility.

I understand this completely but I bet they might change their policy in the near future.

Joe
05-28-2011, 03:15 AM   #13

Original Poster
I sent the lens back to Mack on May 18th,

I called United camera May 27th. I was told it is done and sent back to Mack camera.

Hopefully it is really fixed this time or I am going to be sick!!!
Joe
11-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Joe,

Did you receive the lens back fully repaired?
11-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #15

Original Poster
Hi Mani,
Yes the lens was fully repaired and mack added 6 months to the warranty.

United camera was the culprit. At no time was I told they were waiting for parts. A lot of BS.

I could only talk to Mack and they gave me no clue as to why it was taking so long.
Joe