Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When is a good time to use a manual only lens?

Hello everyone,
What types of shooting (flowers, portraits etc.) is manual focus only (ex. M42 mount prime lenses ) best suited for?

05-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jusfun21 Quote
Hello everyone,
What types of shooting (flowers, portraits etc.) is manual focus only (ex. M42 mount prime lenses ) best suited for?
Depends on how skilled at MF you are, but at it's most basic level, anything that doesn't move is perfect.
05-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like manual lenses for video also as the focus is generally smoother and silent.
05-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot almost anything with MF lenses including some low light faster motion like concerts. it takes time to get good at it though, and you need to really keep using it or your skills get rusty pretty quick
True Macros are difficult so still life and portraits may be easier to start with, landscapes work well. the real question is what do you want to shoot, take your inspiration from your subject, anything including fast moving sports can be shot with a manual focus lens

05-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anytime,is a good time for still photography with a Manual lens.
It comes down to your preference at any given situation MF or AF.
05-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Hello everyone,
When the manual is so damned good no other lens compares to it
Manuals also come in very handy for video.
Also, I really like manual when shooting macro and controlled portrait shooting(studio).
05-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I cant remember the last time I shot with an autofocus lens...

Catch-In-Focus will help you quite a bit, I need to use it more often...
05-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also, if you are on a budget. Practicing with manual glass can really help you save money and still ge great shots.

But, low light where AF has issues and video are the primary technical reasons to shoot manual focus.

05-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Hello everyone,
any time you feel like it!

Actually, you need to play with your lenses to see how they behave, there is no blanket statement.

I have both modern AF zooms, and a collection of both M42 and K mount primes.

I take what ever I feel like on the day, but note, manual focus takes time, and in bright lighting AF is faster, also zooming with your feet takes time, so if you have to fit your photography into someone elses schedule, go for AF zooms, if you are on your own schedule, take the MF primes. Thats how I do it, mostly
05-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Macro, low-light, and landscapes are the only scenarios I can think of where having AF wouldn't be handy. Especially macro as all it does is hunts.
05-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

When is a good time to use a manual only lens?
When it's all you have in the bag, like me.
05-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any time and any where. But fast action sports can be difficult. MF is almost required where there are multiple possible AF points. Think a bird in a bush, AF isn't gonna know the bird from a branch, MF is the only workable solution there. Also macro photography where the dof is so thin and what is left out is as important as what is in focus. MF is needed there as well.

NaCl(and lots of times when you want to choose the exact focus point)H2O
05-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Least we forget, once upon a time auto-focus lenses were unknown to the hands of mere mortals. Not to mention TTL metering, auto-exposure, strobes and 'Green Buttons'.

Oh, yeah, and white balance was done with glass filters and/or choice of film and post processing was a wet, smelly way to ruin your best pair of jeans. And unlike many things today, manual focus isn't hazardous to your health, fattening or boring.

Just grab an ol' MF lens by the throat and twist, you'll feel better for it. Just don't get caught smiling as you do it -- THEY have laws about that sort of thing within 20 miles of a Walmart store today.

H2
05-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Surprised no one mentioned, you would like to use manual lenses when you're on a tight budget.
05-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Surprised no one mentioned, you would like to use manual lenses when you're on a tight budget.
Well I tried to buy A*300mm/f2.8 and it is manual only lens, but my budget didn't reached far enough