Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need advice on buying Tamron 28-75mm f2.8

I am ready to buy a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens. After reading beautiful things about the sharpness of this lens, and after reading some terrible things about many copies of this lens being bad, I am afraid to buy a used lens. So, I could pay 20 percent more, but I prefer to buy from a recognized dealer (one of the two recommended by the forum or Amazon). Amazon never let me down, they accept returns without problems and Amazon forces their dealer to keep certain standard. I know this lens is great, but Tamron has the highest percentage of complaints among customers. Which one of the main dealers do you recommend me to buy from? I must say, I purchased a Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro from Adorama. This purchased included a 6-yr warranty that makes me feel good. However, I saw (in this forum) how B&H solved a problem that arose from a typo in one advertisement they had and also like B&H. Besides, there is one dealer in Canada (Prodigital 2000) that charges a lower price than the American dealers and provides a six year international warranty and free shipping. So, I have four choices, which one would respond better if I had to return the lens for problems with the focussing, etc? I appreciate your honest advice. Thanks, Pepe.

Last edited by Pepe Guitarra; 05-11-2011 at 08:42 PM.
05-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Adorama has the most generous return policy AFAIK, but both Adorama's and B&H's reps are here on the forum if you need any help with the return. You'll probably be safest in buying from one of them.

You might want to double check with Chuck over in the ask B&H section: Ask B&H Photo! - PentaxForums.com

Also, don't forget what's in my signature!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam. I am excited, it is my second brand new lens, so I want to hear comments from others. I was lucky my Tamron 90mm f2.8 came out as I expected, real sharp and fast. Great lens.
05-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

You will not be able to tell regardless of vendor which copy of 28-75 will have QA issues.
Buying from a vendor with a good returns policy gives you the assurance that you can return a lens back if not performing right.

The 28-75 is an excellent lens, my go-to lens for general portraits or weddings. I'd like to see Pentax come out with a DA lens like that...

05-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I have made returns to both Adorama and B&H and they both honored their 30 day policy without hassle. They stand behind their sales, I wouldn't worry at all if you deal with them.

In my B&H return I just changed my mind within 30 days and the return was accepted, per their policy. With Adorama I bought a defective camera. I was prepared for them to argue with me but they accepted the return and refunded my shipping costs too.

Just make sure you test the lens thoroughly but don't damage it, they will take it back with no questions asked.
05-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I finally did not get the Tamron. I really wanted the Tokina 28-70 mm f2.6-2.8 and got on at ADORAMA. Thanks Gabriel for tip. This is my fourh time buying from ADORAMA, second buying lenses and second buying other stuff. Thanks everyone for his advice.
05-18-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by InlawBiker Quote
.....With Adorama I bought a defective camera. I was prepared for them to argue with me but they accepted the return and refunded my shipping costs too....
Absolutely as it should be - but if you ever need advice, or after-sales support with any order from Adorama, I'm only ever an email away: Helen@adorama.com