Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
It may deserve a chance when I have the extra money - Remember, I was trying to decide on what lenses to buy when I accidentally bought it. I know I love the 70, so really, I need the money towards that one first.

I didn't use the hood on the 55. I hate hoods (other than the little ones on the FAs/DAs). The weight was a problem for me, and the 31 might prove to be the same problem (I didn't realize it was quite so big and heavy... I may have to rethink it). I know it seems silly, but I have some arthritis problems and carrying anything even a little too heavy for me becomes a problem fast... in the short time I was using the 55 last night, I was already "feeling it" in my wrist. That's one of the reasons I was able to make the decision to return it so fast.

For it's price and size, I have to LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Maybe I'll rethink it again in a few months after I have the other necessities first. I'll certainly keep thinking about everything you guys have said.
Sorry, I misunderstood there and didn't realize you didn't already have the 31, so I figured you were used to that kind of weight.

I completely understand you wanting to keep your kit small and light!

Did I read correctly that you already have the 43? I was trimming down my Pentax kit last year and sold my FA 43 and FA 31 and bought a DA L 35/2.4 which is quite a decent performer. Not on the same level as the limiteds, but man, is it ever small and light and it looks good too! I'd definitely recommend it over spending the extra on a FA 35/2.

I'm looking to get another 43 though and might let my kids use the 35 on a K-x. It's too bad that the DA 21 and FA 31 are the only wide-ish prime options as I find the DA 21 a bit wide for everyday and the FA 31 is relatively big and pricey. Then 35 and 43 are so close together!

Sorry for rambling, but these decisions drive everybody mad!

05-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
You summed up my problem in a nutshell. I've been thinking about the FA 35 or DA 35 but they seem mighty close the the 43. And I love the 43. I don't think I'll ever sell that lens! I use a 35 often on my M8 (FOV 45.5mm) so the 31 would be perfect on the K-5 (FOV 46.5) for me.

Mind you, not like I've been able to find a silver 31 easily! I've been searching and searching for one. I didn't realize it's weight though. The 35 would be more my speed in terms of weight and size.

Funny because I have an old SMC-A 28mm f/2.8... and other than it's manual focus and not all that wide of an aperture, it's a great lens. I wish there was a DA 28 Limited!
05-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Amy,

I tested and returned 5 copies of the DA*55, because none of them could focus consistently on my K-7 and one exhibited weird focusing behavior on a K-5 as well. In the latter case, as I progressively closed the aperture, the AF progressively backfocused. This did not happen with manual focus, so it was a quirk of the autofocus system and the lens. If you do decide to keep the DA*55, I suggest that you check the AF very carefully. Otherwise, it seemed to me to be a fine lens.

Ultimately, I ended up with an FA43, which I absolutely adore. Do you really need the 55mm focal length? If not, I see no point in keeping the lens.

Rob
05-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
You summed up my problem in a nutshell. I've been thinking about the FA 35 or DA 35 but they seem mighty close the the 43. And I love the 43. I don't think I'll ever sell that lens! I use a 35 often on my M8 (FOV 45.5mm) so the 31 would be perfect on the K-5 (FOV 46.5) for me.

Mind you, not like I've been able to find a silver 31 easily! I've been searching and searching for one. I didn't realize it's weight though. The 35 would be more my speed in terms of weight and size.
Amy,

The FA31 is not big and heavy. It only seems that way in comparison to the pancake lenses. Trust me, you will never, ever, ever regret owning that lens.

Rob