Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
MTF chart for the 120-300 sigma zoom (WOW)

I'm sure this has been posted already. If so delete this thread. but the MTF chart for the new Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 zoom are pretty impressive...

If anyone is going to order this lens I would love to see some pics with it.

G

05-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As soon as it's available for Pentax, I will be doing a review of if. According to B&H it's not going to be around until late August, but you never know. Sigma is obviously focusing on getting it out for canikon first.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I sent an email asking Sigma USA direct why they removed Sony from the list, and they told me they have decided not to make the lens in Sony or Pentax mount. Quite disapointing.
05-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Vario, that is disappointing. It would have been a really good lens for Pentax users.
Adam your review might have to wait?

05-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vario Quote
I sent an email asking Sigma USA direct why they removed Sony from the list, and they told me they have decided not to make the lens in Sony or Pentax mount. Quite disapointing.
Sigma Japan had two press releases, the 2nd that announced price and availability in February, specifically mentioned Pentax & Sony below.

"All lenses will be releases in Nikon and Canon mounts first, and will be available in Sigma, Pentax and Sony mounts shortly thereafter." That was in regards to the 120-300 & and the 150mm Macro. Ever since HSM, and OS have been added to Pentax, and the growing number of K-x, K-r and K-5's make it an easier choice to support Pentax from Sigmas POV IMO.

The same thing happened when I purchased Bigma, it wasn't available until September, (I waited 2-3 months after Canon/Nikon mounts were available)
05-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree this lens looks like a real winner in terms of focal length and speed.
Anyone know what type of price we're looking at?

If the numbers add up to real world performances, this lens could easily become the working lens for most shooters in the field.
05-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I agree this lens looks like a real winner in terms of focal length and speed.
Anyone know what type of price we're looking at?

If the numbers add up to real world performances, this lens could easily become the working lens for most shooters in the field.
The current price is $3199 USD.

05-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Freak Quote
The current price is $3199 USD.
Damned that's steep!
Oh well, in a next life perhaps
05-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Damned that's steep!
Oh well, in a next life perhaps
f/2.8, Weather Sealed with FLD elements and a 300mm length was never going to be cheap, I guess it's not too bad. One can only shudder at what a Pentax DA* version would cost....

But yes for me it needs to be great and not just good @ f/2.8 to get me to consider it, and I believe we don't have Pentax compatible teleconverter at the moment, which is also a bit of a downer, because i likes me 500mm....
05-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
Adam your review might have to wait?
Guess I will have to review the Nikon version

Does look like they took down the Pentax version of this lens, although who knows if this is permanent, as no press release has been made, and support techs are generally clueless. At least there's still the 500mm /4.5 and 300/2.8, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-13-2011, 03:17 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I hope it is going to be avaliable for Pentax shooters. I looked at the MTF chart on it and it is pretty good I think. Man, weather sealed, and all the goodies..
But less money than the 300mm f2.8 Prime. I do not understand that?
Oh well. Back to reallity..
05-13-2011, 04:53 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As soon as it's available for Pentax, I will be doing a review of if. According to B&H it's not going to be around until late August, but you never know. Sigma is obviously focusing on getting it out for canikon first.
I saw this MTF yesterday and it made me happy. Well I'm not waiting around for this lens and go and buy today a 60-250 to get me true the summer. with X-mas I want this Sigma, but I need something longer in between.

Looking forward for the review.
05-14-2011, 02:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

the MTF chart for the new Sigma 120-300mm
Which MTF chart? The Sigma one on their web site, or has there actually been a decent review of this lens somewhere online?

lenstip.com, slrgear.com, dpreview.com, photozone.de etc show nothing so far.
05-14-2011, 03:14 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I looked at the Sigma web page. No reviews yet. But I trust sigma's spec's. For me they have been spot on.

Last edited by garyk; 05-14-2011 at 03:21 AM.
05-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

For me they have been spot on.
For what they show. The Sigma MTF chart says little of flare, coma, CA, vignetting, optical distortions, light transmission etc etc etc. Not to mention common QC issues (de-centering etc), which will often show up in shipped lenses but not manufacturers sales brochures .