Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax SMC DA* 16-50 mm confusion

Hello

I'm looking to buy the DA* 16-50 mm lens, but reading on these forums is making me second guess. Mainly due to all the SDM failure topics around here.
Also, I'm a bit confused about this lens being weather sealed or not. The guy down the store here, says it is not weathered sealed, atleast not the one he has. He says it's because it dosen't have a red rubber ring on the mounting area... like the 18-55 mm K-5 kit lens, but everywhere else I have read that it is supposed to be weather sealed.

In some pictures I saw, the lens' zoom is telescopic built, yet I noticed it said (IF) in the description and the glossery says that IF means inside focusing.

If anyone can help clear this up for me, it will be most appriciated?

05-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
IF = Internal focus not Zoom The length changes when you zoom but not when you focus. It would be very difficult to design a "wide" zoom in any other way.

The 50-135 focuses and zooms internally.

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by mikknu Quote
Hello

In some pictures I saw, the lens' zoom is telescopic built, yet I noticed it said (IF) in the description and the glossery says that IF means inside focusing.

If anyone can help clear this up for me, it will be most appriciated?
05-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

This lens is as all DA* lenses wheater sealed. It has a green ring. The sealing is different then from kitlenses who are WR wich should be just a little less sealed.
05-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #4

Does it keep the weather out as well as the wheat!! LOLOL

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This lens is as all DA* lenses wheater sealed. It has a green ring. The sealing is different then from kitlenses who are WR wich should be just a little less sealed.

05-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim C Quote
IF = Internal focus not Zoom The length changes when you zoom but not when you focus. It would be very difficult to design a "wide" zoom in any other way.

The 50-135 focuses and zooms internally.

Kim
Hah, that is so me to overlook that. I didn't realise it would be diffecult to make internal zoom for wide angle... Thanks for that info

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Thank you for the info. Does make me a bit uneven towards my reseller, but maybe he forgot that is how it goes. So I take it that the k mount on the DA* 16-50 is sealed enough without any rubber rings, if I put it on my K-5?
05-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA*16-50 is my best and most favorite lens (I have about 40 others). I can attest to it's weather sealing. While SDM failure is an issue (and mine went in for repairs last fall after several years of use - non SDM failure by the way), the image quality and versatility of this lens - for me - outways all the other stuff.
05-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The Pentax DA* 16-50mm is weather sealed (better so than non-star lenses). It has a black ring as in the photo here of the *60-250:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a weather sealed and a non-weather sealed version of the kit lenses (both the 18-55 and 50-200). They are distinguished by the letters WR in their description.

The DA* 16-50 would have to have been the most used lens I had in my kit before I sold it. Unfortunately it may be prone to SDM failure, but is worth insuring with your vendor for the long term just to have the optical capability if that fine lens. Then at least you can be assured that you don't have to worry about it failing at your own cost to repair.