Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got both the 50mm and the 43mm. The 43mm is almost always on my camera, unless I need a lens for a special occasion. However, I am always pleasantly surprised at the bokeh from the 50mm whenever I do pull it out, and it's always nice to be able to go faster than f/1.9.

05-15-2011, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
They are quite good photos, but, yes, I think a longer lens would have been easier on his facial features. On FA43 bokeh, I am not criticizing it, but the two images you posted have one color, low contrast backgrounds - not a tough test for bokeh performance. How does the lens do with more difficult situations, say, bright sky broken by naked tree branches, or something similar?
The facial features are just right for those particular photos, IMO. If I had used a longer lens, they would be different photos, but not necessarily better ones. I'm not taking portraits for a high school yearbook, which must always be "flattering" (and invariably boring.) I want photos that have impact, and I can achieve that with a variety of focal lengths. To return to the original topic of the FA43 vs. the FA50/1.4, I would bet that if I showed people a series of portraits taken at 43mm and 50mm, very few would be able to tell the difference based on facial features alone.

On the two FA43 color photos of the baby, look at the smoothness of the OOF hair and the clothing. For portraiture, you can hardly do better than that with any lens.

Regarding the bokeh with busier backgrounds, I have not taken many such photos with my FA43, but bokeh can be a bit nervous at f1.9. Stop down just slightly, and it is much better. The real strength of the FA Limiteds is how they render subtle tonal transitions. This is what sets them apart from other lenses, not the bokeh, as fine as it may be. Some photographers may prefer the slightly harsher rendering of the more modern lenses. That is their privilege, and they have a number of fine DA Limiteds from which to choose.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 05-15-2011 at 09:24 PM.
05-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
That is their privilege, and they have a number of fine DA Limiteds from which to choose.
You pretty much summed up the differences between the DA and FA ltds... but don't forget that the *other* primes Pentax makes can have extremely high IQ, even if they aren't housed in sexy, tiny, metal packages! I think with a cosmetic re-design, the FA 50 could easily be one of the limiteds... the IQ is there, the build quality is not. I think the FA 50 in particular (not had the opportunity to try the 35 f2 unfortunately) is really a gem and underrated because it is prone to flare and really tough to focus at f1.4 (but, I should add, *is* sharp at f1.4 in the plane of focus!)

I guess my point is, yes, the 43 is pretty different from the 40... but when you are making these sorts of comparisons, remember the non-limited options as well!

I love the 50 .
05-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All Pentax prime lenses tend to average above 8.5/10 and most of them higher. The FA 50/1.4 is at 8.85/10 with 90 reviewers. The FA 43/1.9 ltd is at 9.54/10 with 45 viewers. The FA 77/1.8 Ltd is 9.8/10 with 46 reviews.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/category-SMC-Pentax-FA-Lenses.html

There is the same kind of story for the DA primes

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/category-SMC-Pentax-DA-Lenses.html

and the F primes

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/category-SMC-Pentax-DA-Lenses.html

Getting a good af prime from Pentax doesn't concern me much. AF zooms on the other hand are all over the map in performance, qc and reliability.

Last edited by Blue; 05-24-2011 at 03:03 PM.