Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I believe he hasn't
I have, albeit briefly. It was a great lens. Found it more impressive on film. On digital, it reminded me of a good fast 50 on film.

I also never said anything bad about this lens - confused at the resistance.

05-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Yes, there most certainly is a trend, and I don't think it's a coincidence
Ha, those of us who have gotten our hands on it* certainly have a whole different perspective... Experiential knowledge.

*FA 31mm Limited
05-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I have, albeit briefly. It was a great lens. Found it more impressive on film. On digital, it reminded me of a good fast 50 on film.

Would you admit it if you hadn't? I don't think so because you have been called out. You lose all credibility as someone who hasn't ever used the lens. You're just parroting things you have read by others who were clearly misinformed or had some sort of agenda. An agenda you have clearly adopted as your own.

I remember reading maybe once or twice of folks that had bought a 31 and just didn't get it, so they sold it. Perfectly understandable. I actually had a similar experience the first time I had the 77 (though I think I had a less-than-stellar copy, too). That is the sum total of bad experiences I have read about with the 31. So are your standards so much higher than the rest of us that we are to take you at face value when you say, "meh, it's good on film?" Or is there something else going on.....?

If you came across as someone who had honestly used it and learned how to use it and were unimpressed, you wouldn't be meeting all this resistance. I think we all just smell B.S. This forum would be much more pleasant for you if you would just drop the charade.
05-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
learned how to use it
Can you share some tips on how to use it for the benefit of a new FA31 user, please.

05-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Can you share some tips on how to use it for the benefit of a new FA31 user, please.
Point the shiny end at interesting stuff; push button.

People seem to like the bokeh, so I'm thinking that the "right way" to use it is fairly wide open in scenes that lend themselves to contrasty rendering. But really, the "right way" is the way that makes images *you* like.
05-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
Turns out it also works even if you point it at not so interesting stuff

Last edited by dgaies; 05-18-2011 at 06:14 PM.
05-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote

People seem to like the bokeh, so I'm thinking that the "right way" to use it is fairly wide open in scenes that lend themselves to contrasty rendering. But really, the "right way" is the way that makes images *you* like.
That's definitely a great start! It also excels at close-up stuff. Peter (aka asahiflex) posted some fantastic close-ups taken with the 31 a while back. Of course, few can get the absolute best out of seemingly any lens the way Peter can, but he definitely gives me ideas and inspiration.
05-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #188
Veteran Member

i was thinking more on the lines of:

1. The hood is inadequate on the APS-C format, and the pressure fit cap is annoying, so buy three old 58mm filters, knock out the glass, and stack them on the filter ring, so they cover the sides of the built in hood, and use a 58mm pinch cap as a lens cap.

05-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
That's definitely a great start! It also excels at close-up stuff.

Indeed.

Crop:

And more typical stuff:

05-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
i was thinking more on the lines of:

1. The hood is inadequate on the APS-C format, and the pressure fit cap is annoying, so buy three old 58mm filters, knock out the glass, and stack them on the filter ring, so they cover the sides of the built in hood, and use a 58mm pinch cap as a lens cap.
Well, I agree on the hood. The filter ring thing seems like such an inelegant solution, though. Kind of like putting a wart on the end of a supermodel's nose. Someday I will break down and buy one of those over-priced Heliopan metal hoods. I also agree on the cap, which surprises me because it is the first Pentax lens cap that I have been unhappy with. A lot of people are annoyed with a lot of different Pentax caps, but I have liked them all until now. My 31's cap is just so tight! So I suppose I will get a pinch-cap to use on the over-priced hood.
05-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #191
Pentaxian

Wow, the other master of every lens he picks up, jsherman. You have represented well, Mr. Sherman!
05-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #192
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Not really fair, there, jsherman. You make 'em all look good.
05-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #193
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote

Somehow, I have the feeling that this does not represent meaningful experience with the FA31. Perhaps you should spare the world your opinions about it.

Rob
05-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #194

I'll be happy to add my $.02 in a couple of weeks - have one on the way.

If I based my opinions on the files posted here, the 43 and 77 images do seem to 'pop' more, but it's a matter of tiny degrees; I'd be willing to bet my technique could overcome the discrepancy. am trying to develop a 3-lens kit that will cover it all, and am on my way to 15, 31 and either the 77 (not yet acquired) or adapting my 100mm f2 Zuiko for PK mount for portrait/short tele.

also, i struggled with the FL of the DA40 and thus parted with it - it, for me, was too 'in between'. the equiv 45-46mm FOV that the 31 will provide sits right in my sweetspot for 'mildly wide normal' (my fave lenses over the years have all sat comfortably within 28-40ishmm). my passion is photojournalism, so the 'contextual portrait' specialty of this lens matches perfectly with my technique and interests. i'd rather take a step closer than a step back.

when i want to go extreme wide, i have the DA 15, which I adore. also, I shoot bands a lot, and even when using zooms, i would check the EXIF and notice the vast majority of my best framed images sat between 30-52 (FOV mm), corresponding to 20-33 in FL terms. This was using a sig 24-60 on a C*non body, mostly, until i switched to manual Zuikos, where the 40mm ruled.

can't wait to get this baby on the K5 (and maybe an LX or MZ-s in the not too distant future?)
05-19-2011, 01:54 AM   #195
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A few more samples:

[link]

[link]

[link]