Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
The FA31 is probably better than the FA35 in CA in a categorical sense. The FA35 is probably sharper in the corners than the FA31 in a categorical sense. There is probably greater sample variance within each lens type than there is between two ideal examples in the center frame area.

But yeah; these facts only recommend them technically, and their usefulness as artistic tools depend on how much your art demands those qualities. If you want to shoot a wide angle shot, a DA15 becomes a 'better lens' than the DA31. As I've maintained steadily, whenever there's a question of "What is the best piece of kit of type x" one must reply with the question "For what?" I've read several times that the 31 is "The best AF prime lens made by Pentax", but that's only (possibly!) true if a near-normal is what you *need*. If you need a 200 f2.8, the 31 will be a grave disappointment.

I've seen lovely images made with crappy gear - and seen instances where better gear could not have improved the image one bit. The important thing is "Does it make the images you see in your vision?"
Everything you say is true, but it does not acknowledge the fact that different lenses produce images that are qualitatively different, sometimes in ways that are difficult to describe in words. As to which lens is better, that often comes down to subjective judgement. This is what we fans of the FA Limiteds have said all along: These particular lenses render in a unique way that we really appreciate, and we are willing to pay more to get it. Others may not feel same or even be able to perceive any qualitative differences. Those people should not waste their money on an FA Limited. What more is there to say?

Rob

05-19-2011, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #212
JHD
Veteran Member

No doubt there are some people who'd say the FA43 (or any other lens for that matter) was the better lens if it sold for more money than the FA31.
05-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
No doubt there are some people who'd say the FA43 (or any other lens for that matter) was the better lens if it sold for more money than the FA31.
+1. Absolutely so.
05-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #214
Veteran Member

Something like this perhaps: "Even thought the bokeh of the 43 isn't quite as consistent as that oif the 31, the much smaller physical size more than justifies the higher price of the 43 over the 31."

05-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #215
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
No, because it is a wild lens and has escaped from the free market :P

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/141246-fa35mm-...limited-3.html
Kool! I will get out one of my insect nets and go catch me one!
05-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #216
Veteran Member

Actually, I do think that the FA43 is better than the FA31, even though it costs less. Perhaps, I should re-think this, as I must have my priorities confused.

Rob
05-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Kool! I will get out one of my insect nets and go catch me one!
And beat the snott out of it....
05-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Everything you say is true, but it does not acknowledge the fact that different lenses produce images that are qualitatively different, sometimes in ways that are difficult to describe in words. As to which lens is better, that often comes down to subjective judgement. This is what we fans of the FA Limiteds have said all along: These particular lenses render in a unique way that we really appreciate, and we are willing to pay more to get it. Others may not feel same or even be able to perceive any qualitative differences. Those people should not waste their money on an FA Limited. What more is there to say?

Rob
I've said it before; I don't seek to come off as a detractor of the 31. Like all of the limiteds, it's an exceptional lens, and eventually I'll own them all. I'm completely all right with "I like it better." I was just challenging the assertion that it is, for instance, the 'best AF prime Pentax has ever made.'

05-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #219
Veteran Member

Actually, I do think that the FA43 is better than the FA31, even though it costs less. Perhaps, I should re-think this, as I must have my priorities confused.

Rob
I was going to say, there are already people that think that! Those people may even be right.
05-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
the 'best AF prime Pentax has ever made.'
It may or may not be best AF prime Pentax has ever made, but it certainly the most capable of helping us pass the time posting about it in the forum endlessly....
05-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #221
Veteran Member

Strider, or Aragorn?

I think of the 31ltd as a Lens In Exile; it's nobility hidden from the world after it's true format was taken from it.

In the new kingdom of aps-c digital, it wanders among lenses like the Sigma 30, having to suffer, daily, the indignity of being compared to these pretenders.

But one day, perhaps, the K1 will arrive....

(I sold mine two years ago to fund a Tamron 70-200 2.8. The 31ltd is a fabulous lens, but it just wasn't getting as much use as I thought it deserved. And I do think it would be a notch more special on FF.)

05-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #222
Pentaxian

I haven't read too many claim it's the best prime Pentax has ever made (FA*200 macro, FA*85, A 50/1.2 and others would be strong contenders too), but I'm one that believes it's the best prime Pentax currently makes.
05-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
think of the 31ltd as a Lens In Exile; it's nobility hidden from the world after it's true format was taken from it.

In the new kingdom of aps-c digital, it wanders among lenses like the Sigma 30, having to suffer, daily, the indignity of being compared to these pretenders.
As you have begun to wax lyrical, I shall continue in vein....

.... 'tis the holy grail in search of a full frame Galaha

Last edited by selar; 05-20-2011 at 01:55 AM.
05-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I was going to say, there are already people that think that! Those people may even be right.
The question of which of the FA Limiteds is best is highly subjective, but one of the reasons that the FA31 receives the most praise is that it is the most popular, and the reason for that is its focal length. I would not be surprised if more people own the FA31 than own both of the other two lenses combined. More users = more positive comments. A more desirable focal length may also explain, at least in part, why the FA31 is more expensive. It's just the basic law of supply and demand.

In the final analysis, all three are great photographic tools for those who can appreciate their qualities. My recent experience places the FA43 slightly above the others.

Rob
05-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #225
Veteran Member

The question of which of the FA Limiteds is best is highly subjective, but one of the reasons that the FA31 receives the most praise is that it is the most popular, and the reason for that is its focal length. I would not be surprised if more people own the FA31 than own both of the other two lenses combined. More users = more positive comments. A more desirable focal length may also explain, at least in part, why the FA31 is more expensive. It's just the basic law of supply and demand.

In the final analysis, all three are great photographic tools for those who can appreciate their qualities. My recent experience places the FA43 slightly above the others.

Rob
Say what you will. I want 'em all, and you can't convince me otherwise.