Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #61
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
If you want to say "The best autofocus near-normal lens for an APS-c camera Pentax has ever made", I'll take it under consideration, because I don't own the lens. But "THE best prime Pentax has ever produced in an AutoFocus Lens" makes far too many assumptions and is unnecessarily hyperbolic. The FA31 isn't much use at all if what I really need for my purpose is a FA* 600mm f4, or if the 100mm 2.8 Macro is the Lens For Me. "Best lens" must include application.

I'm fond of the FA 35mm f2 AL; For sharpness, the 31LTD score 2345, the FA 35 AL scores 2336 (photozone.de and personal experience). The FA35 AL is noticeably sharper in the corners than the 31mm LTD at all apertures. The FA31LTD has slightly smoother bokeh, but I don't find the FA35AL's bokeh unpleasant. If sharpness is your goal in a near-normal, the FA35 f2 AL is a great deal.
Well let's not be ridiculous here. The FA*600 f4 isn't even in the same class as the FA31 or any other short prime. Neither is the 100mm f2.8. They all serve different purposes. As much as I would like to have an FA*600, just for the privilege of ownership, to me, it is a completely useless lens because it would never leave the house. Hell, I sold my Bigma because it never got used.

I don't care now, nor have I Ever cared, Nor will I Ever Care about Photozone. You've never seen me mention it here or anywhere else. Charting scores don't tell me anything about how my photos are going to look to me. I realize some people base their life on what PZ and other review sites say when it comes to lenses but I'll never be one of those people. I don't want to cast any aspersions here about PZ and those who hold it as gospel, I'm just saying, I'm not one of them.

Yes, The FA35 f2.0 is a decent lens, Optically. So is the FA50 f1.4. I've sold every copy of both of them I've ever had (2 and 4 respectively) because I didn't like the plasticy build quality.

05-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #62

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
When I want to one lens to do everything, I use the 31mm.
That is what I am looking for: One prime lens that will do everything and in great quality.
05-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krendel154 Quote
That is what I am looking for: One prime lens that will do everything and in great quality.
Well then I think you have your answer.
05-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #64

Original Poster
Dgaies, when I will buy it and my wife will kick me out from the house Pentaxforums should provide shelter for me and my FA31

05-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #65
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I have both. I don't think they serve the same purpose.

FA 31mm
- Almost the perfect general purpose lens.
- No quick-shift
- Average sized

DA 40mm
- 40mm is a bit tight sometimes.
- quick shift
- Super small

When I want to one lens to do everything, I use the 31mm. When I want the smallest setup possible, I use the 40mm.
You know what would be interesting is if you / somebody else who owns both lenses mounts a camera on a tripod and then take a series of pictures at various apertures with both lenses. The proof is in the pudding. Everything else is just talk.
05-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #66

Original Poster
To be serious,thank's to all of you guys ! I need some time to think about all options that you have pointed for me. I feel that I am leaning toward FA31 but still I need time. So, I promise you I will be back with my decision or with new lens Thank's a lot!!!
05-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Well let's not be ridiculous here. The FA*600 f4 isn't even in the same class as the FA31 or any other short prime. Neither is the 100mm f2.8. They all serve different purposes. As much as I would like to have an FA*600, just for the privilege of ownership, to me, it is a completely useless lens because it would never leave the house. Hell, I sold my Bigma because it never got used.
That was *exactly* my point. The "goodness" of a lens is specific to its purpose. There is no "best lens" without the question "for what?"

QuoteQuote:
I don't care now, nor have I Ever cared, Nor will I Ever Care about Photozone. You've never seen me mention it here or anywhere else. Charting scores don't tell me anything about how my photos are going to look to me. I realize some people base their life on what PZ and other review sites say when it comes to lenses but I'll never be one of those people. I don't want to cast any aspersions here about PZ and those who hold it as gospel, I'm just saying, I'm not one of them.
I don't base my life, nor my buying decisions, on photozone. OTOH, when I say "The FA 35mm f2 AL is within .1% of being as sharp as the 31, and sharper in the corners", I offer some objective measurement as support, because - as we all know - *opinions* (mine included) are like certain body orifices; everyone's got one and they all produce the same thing.

QuoteQuote:
Yes, The FA35 f2.0 is a decent lens, Optically. So is the FA50 f1.4. I've sold every copy of both of them I've ever had (2 and 4 respectively) because I didn't like the plasticy build quality.
I certainly understand the preference for the LTD build quality. It's amazing. The 31 is indeed an awesome lens. But frankly, I'd rather keep my FA 35 f2 AL ( which is within a gnats ass of being equally awesome optically ) and buy a 15mm ltd AND a 70mm ltd. I don't shoot film, Pentax isn't going to make a FF, so *shrug*.

05-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #68

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
You know what would be interesting is if you / somebody else who owns both lenses mounts a camera on a tripod and then take a series of pictures at various apertures with both lenses. The proof is in the pudding. Everything else is just talk.
Can somebody do it? Please, please, please...
05-15-2011, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #69
Veteran Member

Wait, you can actually take pictures with the lenses. I'll have to look into that

Kidding aside, I actually don't think you'd see a tremendous amount of difference between sample shots taken with identical setups and apertures between the two lenses. They each have a slightly different "look" to them, but both are excellent lenses capable of outstanding IQ. The main reason I prefer the 31 over the 40 is for the extra stop of speed and the extra 9mm of width, both of which are nice to have when shooting indoors.
05-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krendel154 Quote
Dgaies, when I will buy it and my wife will kick me out from the house Pentaxforums should provide shelter for me and my FA31
Well, I am certainly not advocating that you buy the 31 if that will get you kicked out of the house
05-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #71
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
...I actually don't think you'd see a tremendous amount of difference between sample shots taken with identical setups and apertures between the two lenses. They each have a slightly different "look" to them, but both are excellent lenses capable of outstanding IQ. The main reason I prefer the 31 over the 40 is for the extra stop of speed and the extra 9mm of width, both of which are nice to have when shooting indoors.
OUCH! That's a heavy premium to pay for less than a full stop and an extra 9mm. If we're only talking about "a slightly different look to them" then another myth has just been busted. Still, some samples would be nice.
05-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #72
Veteran Member

OUCH! That's a heavy premium to pay for less than a full stop and an extra 9mm.
Less than a stop? 2.8 to 1.8 is about 1 and 1/3 stops.

Last edited by Cannikin; 05-15-2011 at 02:58 PM.
05-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
DA 35mm F2.8 macro. I don't own this lens but it comes very highly regarded, most people consider it VERY sharp, good bokeh and in addition, a true 1:1 macro.
Loving my DA 35mm Macro! I almost went for the DA 40, and will probably never get one now. My 35 is fast (enough), sharp and a quality piece of engineering.
05-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #74
Veteran Member

OUCH! That's a heavy premium to pay for less than a full stop and an extra 9mm. If we're only talking about "a slightly different look to them" then another myth has just been busted. Still, some samples would be nice.
At least the 31 doesn't have an SDM motor that will fail on your every two years, right?

I don't know know exactly what "myth" you're referring to, but I doubt anything I could say would "bust it". The 31 is the superior lens IMO. It's faster and has the better IQ. The 40 is more compact and has faster AF. If someone doesn't want to pay the premium for the 31, or prefers the attributes of the 40, so be it. I couldn't care less what lens someone chooses to shoot with. I choose to shoot with the 31 over the 40, and I frankly don't care if I have to pay a heavy premium to do so.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I saw we cut him some slack. Saying "less than a stop" makes it sound more dramatic
05-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #75
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Less than 2 hours of sleep will do that. Good thing I'm not an ATC any more.