Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #1

Is FA31 really 2.8 times better than DA40 ?

Hi, everyone !
I am new in Pentax and it is my first thread here....
Since I bought my K-X, I was looking for walkaround prime lens, that will give me nice picture quality in most situations. So, I bought DA40 because its popularity and price. And recently, I found few threads about FA31. It is 2.8 times more expensive than DA40, faster and 9mm difference in focal length can make big deal while taking pictures indoor. Probably one day I will upgrade to FA31. Of cause, there is another option: instead of buying FA31, to buy DA15 and DA70, to make nice "Triple Play" . But for now, I would like to have one walkaround prime lens . So, my question is: Does anybody had chance to compare these two lenses? And, is FA31 really 2.8 times better than DA40?

UPDATE for people who don't want to read through all pages of this thread.
You can compare these two lenses by going straight to two comparisons that are made, thanks to our members:
mccarvindh https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/144177-fa-limi...ml#post1506023
and
sjwaldron in Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/dslrninja/tags/comparisonfa31mmda40mm05172011/

But still, don't forget to post your suggestions, thoughts and comments about these two lenses

Last edited by krendel154; 05-17-2011 at 09:30 PM.
05-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #2

Is Ferrari 10 times better than an average car?
Is a diamond 2x the size 2x the price?
Is apple better than oranges?

You get the idea.
05-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Krendel! Welcome to PF! Doanh has a point. These two lenses are superb in their own right and one cannot make the kind of comparisons based on their MSRP. I have them both and I love them. However, If I were you and were just beginning to build a collection I would not get a FA 31 right away, I would do the other option you stated - get the DA 15 and 70. That way you get to play around with different focal lengths that are far apart from each other. Then over time you can let LBA (lens buying addiction) take its course and get FA 31 and a whole bunch of lenses. Good luck making a decision!
05-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NO. I would say more like 10 times better!

05-14-2011, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I have the 43 Ltd and love it - one of my favourite lenses by far. However I've also just bought the Sigma 30/1.4 because I needed a low light beast around 30mm - and it is certainly that, producing wonderful bright shots in darkened restaurants. It is though much more than a portrait and low light monster, if you are like me and love low DoF shots. It is amazingly sharp in the centre although slightly soft in the corners - but I didn't buy it for the corners.

I considered the 31 Ltd however at x3 the price of the Sigma, and a stop slower, I couldn't justify it as it's not a FL that I'll use that much. YMMV. The Sigma 30/1.4 is worth a look if this FL is not going to live on your camera.
05-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Good advice frogfish.

The FA 31 is a great lens, but not at all worth it for a penny pincher. Check out the sigma 30 1.4, or if you don't need the speed, the 28mm f2.8's are all great little lenses too.
05-14-2011, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Zav
Pentaxian

Humm those kind of things are exponential not linear.

05-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doanh Quote
Is Ferrari 10 times better than an average car?
Is a diamond 2x the size 2x the price?
Is apple better than oranges?

You get the idea.
I disagree regarding "apples and oranges". And, of cause, size matters! But not in the case with the lenses
But I agree regarding Ferrari. And how you can prove it that it is "Ferrari". Can you post any pictures to compare these two lenses side-by-side?
05-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
Hi Krendel! Welcome to PF! Doanh has a point. These two lenses are superb in their own right and one cannot make the kind of comparisons based on their MSRP. I have them both and I love them. However, If I were you and were just beginning to build a collection I would not get a FA 31 right away, I would do the other option you stated - get the DA 15 and 70. That way you get to play around with different focal lengths that are far apart from each other. Then over time you can let LBA (lens buying addiction) take its course and get FA 31 and a whole bunch of lenses. Good luck making a decision!
Yes, probably, I will go this way.
05-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
I am trying to find out difference in pictures that produce DA40 and FA31. Because, I have checked DA and FA clubs and all members are so proud of these lenses. I can see the difference in price. But how to find the side-by-side comparison, which will prove that FA31 2.8 times better?
05-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krendel154 Quote
I am trying to find out difference in pictures that produce DA40 and FA31. Because, I have checked DA and FA clubs and all members are so proud of these lenses. I can see the difference in price. But how to find the side-by-side comparison, which will prove that FA31 2.8 times better?
That's the fundamental problem with your question. You can easily quantify the difference in price between the two lenses. You can not, in any objective way, determine how much "better" one lens is than the other. If I need to shoot below f/2.8, the 31 is infinitely better (in that situation) than the 40. If I only want to shoot with a lens under 100g, then the 40 is is infinitely better (in that situation) than the 31. Obviously most people don't shoot exclusively below f/2.8, nor do people only shoot with lenses under 100g. But depending on what your priorities are will determine how much "better" one lens is over the other (for you). I own both, along with quite a few other excellent lenses. It would be futile for me to try and quantify exactly how much better lens A is than lens B, because it is entirely dependent on the situation and what you're looking to get out of the lens.
05-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I remember some one (maybe two different persons) here compared FA31 with DA 18-55 side by side. Take a good look to see if they are 10 times different. I remember the earlier comparison (roof and tree), FA31 had more PF.
05-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
I remember some one here compared FA31 with DA 18-55 side by side. Take a good look to see if they are 10 times different.
10 times?I am trying to find at least 2.8 times difference in pictures quality Nowbody prove it yet for now...I am in doubt that people paying $660 more, for possibility to shoot under f2.8 and 9mm of focal length. I am more than sure that it should be picture quality which I would like to see
05-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krendel154 Quote
10 times?I am trying to find at least 2.8 times difference in pictures quality Nowbody prove it yet for now...I am in doubt that people paying $660 more, for possibility to shoot under f2.8 and 9mm of focal length. I am more than sure that it should be picture quality which I would like to see
What exactly does "2.8x difference in pictures quality" mean? You keep asking question to which there are no answers. Good luck.

By the way, for what it's worth, I say you should buy the DA40 as I don't think you'll ever feel the FA31's additional cost is justified.
05-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
What exactly does "2.8x difference in pictures quality" mean? You keep asking question to which there are no answers. Good luck.

By the way, for what it's worth, I say you should buy the DA40 as I don't think you'll ever feel the FA31's additional cost is justified.
FA31 is 2.8 times more expensive than DA40 . It means that FA31 HAS to be 2.8 times better