Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krendel154 Quote
If pictures taken with FA31 would not prove its superiorness, then Pentax will bring FA31 price down to DA40. It would be nice job for future generations!
Or, will bring up price of DA40 to show its superiorness too
Frankly, I think you should keep your DA40, as I fear that if you do get the FA31, you will always be looking for that 2.8x times factor in your photos, this will stop you from enjoying your FA31 and your photography.

05-16-2011, 01:19 AM   #92
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Frankly, I think you should keep your DA40, as I fear that if you do get the FA31, you will always be looking for that 2.8x times factor in your photos, this will stop you from enjoying your FA31 and your photography.
He isn’t about to buy an FA31 without some tangible / empirical evidence to justify its cost. He needs to see - with his own eyes - if the output the FA31 rivals that of his DA40. Having one lens serve as point of reference to measure the output of another lens is a sensible approach to determining its value, especially when there is a huge cost differential. This makes a lot more sense than taking a chance based on other people’s enthusiasm or analogies about cars, don’t you think?
05-16-2011, 02:29 AM   #93
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
That was *exactly* my point. The "goodness" of a lens is specific to its purpose. There is no "best lens" without the question "for what?"

I don't base my life, nor my buying decisions, on photozone. OTOH, when I say "The FA 35mm f2 AL is within .1% of being as sharp as the 31, and sharper in the corners", I offer some objective measurement as support, because - as we all know - *opinions* (mine included) are like certain body orifices; everyone's got one and they all produce the same thing.

I certainly understand the preference for the LTD build quality. It's amazing. The 31 is indeed an awesome lens. But frankly, I'd rather keep my FA 35 f2 AL ( which is within a gnats ass of being equally awesome optically ) and buy a 15mm ltd AND a 70mm ltd. I don't shoot film, Pentax isn't going to make a FF, so *shrug*.
I don't want to come off like I'm arguing with anybody here about somebody else's lens purchase decisions. I'm not. At the end of the day, it's about what one expects, what they actually get, what they will use it for, and if they are happy with it, regardless of price, reviews, opinions, etc. That's kind of my point about Photozone. If I didn't like a particular lens, I'd be the first to state it, and why (as I did with the regular FA small primes).

I was quite fortunate to get the 3 Amigos for what I did when I did so this is a decision I don't have to wrestle with. If I were buying them now, I too would have to question if (new) Limited FAs are really worth the money over other options.

BTW. The 15mm is also a fantastic lens.

05-16-2011, 02:45 AM   #94
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
This makes a lot more sense than taking a chance based on other people’s enthusiasm or analogies about cars, don’t you think?

No...........sometimes you've got to live a little. Some of you guys/girls are professionals,your view is business like,fine,I understand. Me, I earn my living in other ways,photography is my escape.I love scoring a new lens or body whether I need it or not(more than just me in this boat). Just looking at and handling a new acquisition is exciting,the photo is the end story but I enjoy the toys too.So maybe the OP will enjoy his 31 in more than just a utilitarian way.The joy of the new toy.We can't afford Ferraris but maybe we can have a slice of the good life in other ways...........the prosaic bit/and before anybody starts on about budgetary constraints I have them too.

Last edited by peasant; 05-16-2011 at 02:58 AM.
05-16-2011, 02:57 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peasant Quote
No...........sometimes you've got to live a little.
Exactly, +1 on that.

I said earlier on this forum, if one constructed a Maslows hierarchy pyramid of Pentax lenses, the FA31 would be pretty close to the pinnacle.
05-16-2011, 03:15 AM   #96
Forum Member

Maslows hierarchy pyramid of Pentax lenses, the FA31 would be pretty close to the pinnacle.
So it's not fundamental to your existence but it's damn good when you get one?

Last edited by peasant; 05-16-2011 at 03:23 AM.
05-16-2011, 03:22 AM   #97
Veteran Member

So it's not fundamental to your existence but it's damn good when you get one?
Absolutely.

05-16-2011, 03:35 AM   #98
JHD
Veteran Member

No...........sometimes you've got to live a little.
So you find satisfaction throwing your money into the wind. Fine, but that's lousy advice to dispense outside a circle of crackheads who are too sage to live by that philosophy. A fool and his money are soon parted!
05-16-2011, 03:39 AM   #99
Forum Member

Absolutely.
I like it.
05-16-2011, 03:55 AM   #100
Forum Member

Fine, but that's lousy advice to dispense outside a circle of crackheads who are too sage to live by that philosophy.
You might be over estimating my influence.

Last edited by peasant; 05-16-2011 at 04:24 AM.
05-16-2011, 04:38 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So you find satisfaction throwing your money into the wind. Fine, but that's lousy advice to dispense outside a circle of crackheads who are too sage to live by that philosophy. A fool and his money are soon parted!
This reminds me of an...interaction I guess is a good word...with my investment banker brother. When he found out I buy about $5-10 of lottery tickets a week I got a long lecture from him, the jist of which was "lottery tickets are a bad investment". My respose to him was "Bro, buying lottery tickets as an investment is like watching an adult cinematic feature for the dialogue". He didn't understand. I think peasant does.

NaCl(doing somthing for the joy of it, or allowing yourself to dream have very little to do with a monetary value)H2O
05-16-2011, 04:41 AM   #102
Veteran Member

He isn’t about to buy an FA31 without some tangible / empirical evidence to justify its cost. He needs to see - with his own eyes - if the output the FA31 rivals that of his DA40. Having one lens serve as point of reference to measure the output of another lens is a sensible approach to determining its value, especially when there is a huge cost differential. This makes a lot more sense than taking a chance based on other people’s enthusiasm or analogies about cars, don’t you think?
There are literally thousands and thousands of posted shots taken with the 31 and 40 showing that both lenses are extremely capable, I don't think anyone would argue with that.

IMO, the only way the OP is going to be able to determine whether or not the 31 is worth owning it to buy the 31 and determine that for himself. A few "samples" taken with the 31 and 40 in an attempt to determine which is "better" isn't going to give him a fraction of the overall information he'd get by using both lenses himself. It's entirely possible that if he did try both himself he would come to the conclusion that the 40 is the better lens (for him) and then he wouldn't have to wonder what he's missing by now owning the 31. He might also find that the 31 is worth the extra money and decide that's the lens to keep.

Seriously? Throwing money into the wind? If the OP bought a used 31, there is no reason in the world why he wouldn't be able to sell it for what he paid after trying it out if he chose not to keep it.
05-16-2011, 05:34 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
There are literally thousands and thousands of posted shots taken with the 31 and 40 showing that both lenses are extremely capable, I don't think anyone would argue with that.

IMO, the only way the OP is going to be able to determine whether or not the 31 is worth owning it to buy the 31 and determine that for himself. A few "samples" taken with the 31 and 40 in an attempt to determine which is "better" isn't going to give him a fraction of the overall information he'd get by using both lenses himself. It's entirely possible that if he did try both himself he would come to the conclusion that the 40 is the better lens (for him) and then he wouldn't have to wonder what he's missing by now owning the 31. He might also find that the 31 is worth the extra money and decide that's the lens to keep.
I agree in theory. They are both fine, sharp lenses, but they are of different focal lengths and have different rendering qualities. To prefer one over the other is a function of shooting style and subjective response to the images that they produce. I happen to love the unique rendering of the FA Limiteds, but others may not see it that way. Ultimately, no one can make this decision for the OP. He will have to develop a shooting style and try a variety of lenses to determine which ones suit it best and give the most pleasing results. This process may be expensive and require considerable time beyond just a few days of shooting snaps. Such is the life of the dedicated photographer. Photography tends to attract people with obsessive, perfectionist personalities. Once one is afflicted with LBA, it is hard to break the habit.

QuoteQuote:
Seriously? Throwing money into the wind? If the OP bought a used 31, there is no reason in the world why he wouldn't be able to sell it for what he paid after trying it out if he chose not to keep it.
Good luck finding a used FA31 at a cheap price.

Rob
05-16-2011, 05:35 AM   #104
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote

You could be right, however it seems he'd rather not have to buy the lens to find out it. He emphatically stated his desire to see identical shots from both lenses. Now if he sees nothing but more rhetoric and reluctance on the part of those who have both lenses to post identical shot samples, chances are he'll conclude the difference must be so negligible it must too embarrassing.

QuoteQuote:
Seriously? Throwing money into the wind?
That response was directed to those who concede they prefer to make decisions based on other people’s enthusiasm or irrelevant analogies as opposed to a controlled experiment.
05-16-2011, 05:45 AM   #105
Forum Member

That response was directed to those who concede they prefer to make decisions based on other people’s enthusiasm or irrelevant analogies as opposed to a controlled experiment.
C'mon JHD let a little light in.The 31's rep goes way beyond analogies.