Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Yeah, I always hated the FA35/2 too
And if it doesn't work wide open in the dark, then what good is it?

05-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
And if it doesn't work wide open in the dark, then what good is it?
It's looks like that polar bear is eating a giant aspirin tablet; maybe he got a headache trying to decide which ~35mm lens to buy
05-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Okay, I skipped to the end, so if this was mentioned somewhere in the 6 previous pages, I apologize.

Buy the 31 Ltd used. If you don't like it for some reason, you'll get your money back easily. Maybe even make money on the deal.

I don't own the 31, never have. I went the DA route because I'm cheap and I like small. I did own the 77 Ltd for a bit, but didn't use it enough so I sold it.
05-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #124
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I didn't say the FA 35 F/2.0 has horrible color rendition I said "the color rendition is OK but not stellar". I also said that the bokeh is "barely OK" not 'terrible'. It's not a terrible lens, just not appealing to me.
Curiously, the DA 35mm F/2.4 does appeal to me and according to what I've been able to figure out the lens elements are identical. I've shot extensively with both and have even done a shoot out for my personal edification, and the FA shots are for the most part "OK", while the DA shots are "NICE!" Personally I chalk it up to sample variation and personal whim.

NaCl(it's not that I dislike the FA 35mm F/2.0 it's just that I don't like it)H2O
The lens elements in the DA 35/2.4 are actually slightly less in diameter than the FA. That and the aperture mechanism are the 2 differences other than the housing.

05-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #125
Veteran Member

I need an aspirin....or beer

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
It's looks like that polar bear is eating a giant aspirin tablet; maybe he got a headache trying to decide which ~35mm lens to buy
Not sure about the polar bear but I sure need an aspirin! I just set up the tripod and took some boring pictures of some stuff wide open with all the FA Limiteds and the DA 40. Next I took one with all the lenses set to F4.

I am not even sure if this is a helpful exercise. I did it because some of you seem to think that will help you decide. I will post it once they load to flicr.
05-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
Not sure about the polar bear but I sure need an aspirin! I just set up the tripod and took some boring pictures of some stuff wide open with all the FA Limiteds and the DA 40. Next I took one with all the lenses set to F4.

I am not even sure if this is a helpful exercise. I did it because some of you seem to think that will help you decide. I will post it once they load to flicr.
I'm firmly on the side that a few sample shots taken at the same settings don't even remotely come close to telling the whole story... but there are a few people who are anxiously awaiting such a test so I'm sure they will be appreciative.
05-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #127
Veteran Member

I totally agree with you. I just have the time now, so why not? Here is the link to.... ahem..."comparison" shootout with all the FA limiteds and DA 40https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/144177-fa-limi...ml#post1506023

05-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is an amazing thread! To add my voice into all this: I echo what rfortson said, "Buy the 31 Ltd used. If you don't like it for some reason, you'll get your money back easily."
05-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The lens elements in the DA 35/2.4 are actually slightly less in diameter than the FA. That and the aperture mechanism are the 2 differences other than the housing.
SO lemme get this straight... the glass is different, the aperture mechanism is different, and the housing is different, but that's all, right?
05-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krendel154 Quote
That is what I am looking for: One prime lens that will do everything and in great quality.
The 31mm is very close on APS-C. It has a nice wide aperture and the field of view on APS-C is very close to "normal."

Optionally, you should consider going cheap and getting a DA 35mm f2.4. For the price, it's a great little lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
You know what would be interesting is if you / somebody else who owns both lenses mounts a camera on a tripod and then take a series of pictures at various apertures with both lenses. The proof is in the pudding. Everything else is just talk.
I have a website where I do stuff just like that! It's pitch black outside right now, but I'll see if I have anything interesting to photograph in here.
05-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #131
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I have a website where I do stuff just like that! It's pitch black outside right now, but I'll see if I have anything interesting to photograph in here.
Excellent and much appreciated! Rather than up loading your pictures on Flickr, could you upload them here with Exif data in tact?
05-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Excellent and much appreciated! Rather than up loading your pictures on Flickr, could you upload them here with Exif data in tact?
What would be the difference between here and my site+Flickr? I always leave EXIF in my photos and flickr displays that. I don't have a membership here, so I were to upload photos here I can't garantee I'll have the space or leave them up in case I need to put different photos up.

I just took the photos and was planning on writing an article for my blog. I have the ulterior motive of hoping to one day hit the minimum payout rate from Google Adsense. It's taken probably 5 years, but I'm half way there.
05-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Bing! finished...

JHD, I give you permission to download the full-resolution images and upload them to your gallery here. I included something special in the lens size reference image on my blog, so you can feel at home and get an idea of how big each lens is. It's great as a tripod screw-driver (like the USD equivalent is). A fast food place gave it to me as change a few months ago... It happens every once in a while!

Photos on Flickr:
Flickr: dslrninja's stuff tagged with comparisonfa31mmda40mm05172011

Article:
Comparison: FA 31mm f1.8 Limited to DA 40mm f2.8 Limited | photographybanzai.com
05-17-2011, 06:01 AM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Bing! finished...

JHD, I give you permission to download the full-resolution images and upload them to your gallery here. I included something special in the lens size reference image on my blog, so you can feel at home and get an idea of how big each lens is. It's great as a tripod screw-driver (like the USD equivalent is). A fast food place gave it to me as change a few months ago... It happens every once in a while!

Photos on Flickr:
Flickr: dslrninja's stuff tagged with comparisonfa31mmda40mm05172011

Article:
Comparison: FA 31mm f1.8 Limited to DA 40mm f2.8 Limited | photographybanzai.com
Cool blog! Thank you for the comparison.
05-17-2011, 07:00 AM - 2 Likes   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
That is what I am looking for: One prime lens that will do everything...
There isn't one. That's why there are different focal lengths.