Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Senior Member
MSD's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 164
K 30/2.8 versus F 28/2.8

Hi everyone,

I have the opportunity to get a normal lens which I have been looking for.
I have been searching for an FA 43 but I cannot find a used one.

I have, however, located a K30 for around $350 and an F28 for around $300.
I know both of these lenses are excellent and I do not worry about the age or price difference.

I love manual focus and rarely use AF so this is not an issue.

The problem is I have been waiting on the 30 for a long time and they still don't have it for me yet. The 28 is ready to go however.

I know what I will use it for is relevant usually but these I see as so close I suppose I am asking just about the relative merits of these lenses and whether the 30 is worth the wait.

Thanks.

05-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,859
Wow, these lenses are closer than I thought - same number of elements and aperture blades, similar dimensions, not that different weights. I always thought Ks were too big. I've never used the K30/2.8 and decided not to bother after getting the F28/2.8. The biggest difference might be focusing. The F28/2.8 isn't as nice to manual focus, with a thin ring, only 90 degree sweep and no feel to it. No doubt the K30/2.8 is nicer here, but I use MF all the time on the F and it's not terrible either. It might be possible to get a cheaper one too.
05-15-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 90
QuoteOriginally posted by MSD Quote
Hi everyone,

I have the opportunity to get a normal lens which I have been looking for.
I have been searching for an FA 43 but I cannot find a used one.

I have, however, located a K30 for around $350 and an F28 for around $300.
I know both of these lenses are excellent and I do not worry about the age or price difference.

I love manual focus and rarely use AF so this is not an issue.

The problem is I have been waiting on the 30 for a long time and they still don't have it for me yet. The 28 is ready to go however.

I know what I will use it for is relevant usually but these I see as so close I suppose I am asking just about the relative merits of these lenses and whether the 30 is worth the wait.

Thanks.
Dunno about the K, but I love my f28 2.8. It's a beautiful lens. I don't really use MF except on my M and K lenses... and I wouldn't really want to with the F28. The ring is small, no pressure, and it's usually behind a lens hood anyway. The lens is capable of stunning results, though.

Only thing I'd really point out is the price seems a tad high... Ebay on the 28's seems to float around $200 right now.
05-15-2011, 01:31 AM   #4
Senior Member
Kim C's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 229
It will depend on which F28 you are thinking of. The first one the F28/2.8 was based on the old M and A series formula and although OK was not an outstanding lens. The FA28/2.8 was a new design and much much better.

If it is the F version go for the 30. If it is the FA version and if you think you might need the AF and the A setting go that.

Kim

05-15-2011, 05:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
QuoteOriginally posted by MSD Quote
The problem is I have been waiting on the 30 for a long time and they still don't have it for me yet. The 28 is ready to go however.
I think you pretty much answered your own question.
The K30 is indeed a rare bird and I'd jump on it at first sight if I was you.
However, I don't know how it compares to the 28/3.5 and 35/3.5 though.
Still I'd definitely say its worth getting for collecting purposes.
05-15-2011, 05:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member
WiseOx's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Whitby (near Toronto), Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 429
I have the K30 and recommend you grab it...though that price seems steep. Its got that something special. Poor mans 31mm the say, and I believe it. Beautiful 3D rendering. I have the FA28 as well, and just never use it. Will eventually get around to selling it.
05-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Deimos's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kingdom of Wonder
Posts: 1,708
The F28 is Fantastic!

I paid $300 for mine, worth every penny...and MF isnt that bad either, but might be a factor if you dont intend to use AF. What a sweet lens, I love the colours and rendering. (more F28 photos on my Flickr)






Last edited by Deimos; 05-15-2011 at 08:29 AM.
05-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Deimos's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kingdom of Wonder
Posts: 1,708
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim C Quote
It will depend on which F28 you are thinking of. The first one the F28/2.8 was based on the old M and A series formula and although OK was not an outstanding lens. The FA28/2.8 was a new design and much much better.

If it is the F version go for the 30. If it is the FA version and if you think you might need the AF and the A setting go that.

Kim

Actually the F28 is much much better than the FA28

F28 reviews at 9.44 on 19 reviews here vs FA28 with 8.46 with 13 reviews

05-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
Senior Member
Kim C's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 229
It depends very much who you read and where.

Many of the reviews here are from people who are only talking about "their" lens and are not a comparison. In any case one person's 7 might be another person's 9.

I was going on my own comparison of the 28mm lenses which coincide largely with those on Stan's site.

Brief Comments Discussion of 28 mm

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Actually the F28 is much much better than the FA28

F28 reviews at 9.44 on 19 reviews here vs FA28 with 8.46 with 13 reviews
05-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Deimos's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kingdom of Wonder
Posts: 1,708
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim C Quote
It depends very much who you read and where.

Many of the reviews here are from people who are only talking about "their" lens and are not a comparison. In any case one person's 7 might be another person's 9.

I was going on my own comparison of the 28mm lenses which coincide largely with those on Stan's site.

Brief Comments Discussion of 28 mm

Kim
Heres a test of the FA vs the F. Not the be all end all, and both seem to be very good lenses. But from what I tend to see on the forum here the F is more well regarded.
Comparison Pentax FA28 versus F28

Cant say Ive shot the FA or the K30 unfortunately but I have been very pleased with the F28

/OT
05-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
Senior Member
Kim C's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 229
Thanks for the link. However he was only talking about one aspect and that only wide open.

I was rather interested in his final comments. I have tried nearly all the Pentax 28's in K mount and M42. I have kept the K28/2 for it's performance, the A 28/2 for it's size and A setting on crippled mount cameras and the 31LTD for auto-focus.

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Heres a test of the FA vs the F. Not the be all end all, and both seem to be very good lenses. But from what I tend to see on the forum here the F is more well regarded.
Comparison Pentax FA28 versus F28

Cant say Ive shot the FA or the K30 unfortunately but I have been very pleased with the F28

/OT
05-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Zhukovsky,Russia / SF Bay Area
Posts: 236
K 30/2.8 is a great lens. I would say $350 is a good price, sometimes it goes for $500+. If you don't need AF, wait for K, it worths.

F 28/2.8 is good lens optically identical to M and A versions, so if you prefer MF, it is not the best choice: M and A versions are more convenient to focus and 2-3 times less expensive.

I recently posted few examples of K 30/2.8 out-of-focus rendering, if you are interested: K 30/2.8 vs. A 28/2 bokeh side-by-side
05-18-2011, 12:27 AM   #13
MSD
Senior Member
MSD's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 164
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the input. I know the F28 is an excellent lens, however the K30 has the MF- little known- great IQ- '3D effect' appeal.

Unfortunately, the place I found it at says it will be a few more weeks. So I'm still stuck.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lenses, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.7 versus 1.4? NecroticSoldier Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 18 04-21-2010 05:26 AM
18-55 versus 17-70? NecroticSoldier Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 04-04-2010 03:07 PM
Pentax FA 20-35 versus DA 16-45 Pentaxor Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 10-28-2009 12:34 PM
Landscape Orginal versus PP Jimbo Post Your Photos! 4 10-25-2009 04:41 PM
1.4x TC + 55-300 versus 1.7x TC + 55-300 versus 55-300mm + cropping. Pentaxor Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 09-05-2009 02:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:29 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top