Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Feeding LBA, Found a nice zenitar-k2 16/f2.8 at a local 'fiesta'

Howdy. Was down at the local Canberra Photograpy Fiesta with Lurch today - basically a small swap meet/flea market type thing. The local Pentaxian had a few things out and actually had the largest crowd around him at the time

Spotted an MC Zenitar-K2 16/f2.8 Fisheye for a reasonable price in new condition - including Russian packaging and manual, carry case and lens caps.

Went halves with Lurch on it as being a Fisheye its not something I'd use everyday - but testing so far seems to show its a nice lens and should be good for some street pics..

Test shot with it at f/2.8.. a little soft - but passable

And for the strobist fans, the setup for above shot, but taken with the Zenitar K-2. at a more reasonable f/5.6 - (??.. from memory)

I look forward to having a good play with this lens later in the week!

05-15-2011, 06:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, that's cool. Love the story and the shot of your flash set up.
05-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

May I ask what the reasonable price was?

Anyway, it's a great lens, my favorite for small spaces indoors and out, and for emphasizing the near and dismissing the far-away. When I go visiting some petroglyphs in a couple days, the Zen will help me burn film in my ZX-M. (I'll probably have the Macro-Tak 50/4 on my K20D).
05-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a fun lens! you won't regret your purchase. One of the great things about the "Z" is that it actually was developed for FF cameras. It's not quite a "real" fish eye on an APS-C camera. What that means is that with careful framing and a bit of cropping you can eliminate most of the fisheye distortion. And as RR has hinted above it's really really good at close focusing.

NaCl(the most "fun" lens in my kit)H2O

05-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
It's not quite a "real" fish eye on an APS-C camera.
It is quite real enough, the cropping just buffers the effect somewhat. The difference between a fisheye and rectilinear wide-angle is the field projection model. The key to fishiness is the orientation of straight lines to the lens center axis. I have taken photos with the Zenitar 16 on FF film where there is almost NO fishiness. Alternatively, I have some APS-C shots that are quite fishy.

Steve

(Ironically, fisheye lenses have almost no distortion of relative size/volume throughout the field. The lines may be curved, but they are not distorted.)
05-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

No filter set? The lens should have a clear filter installed in the rear, that's all you really need. Don't lose the cap!

The factory wasn't all that careful about setting infinity focus, so I'd check this. The hardest part about adjusting it yourself is seeing focus distances at 16mm and infinity.
05-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
RioRico; $AUD160, so about $USD170 these days... I figured it was a reasonable 'picked it up off a table and didn't deal with ebay' price - But happy to be corrected on this

And I know it was designed for FF - but as noted it still seems to work just fine on an APS-C cropped sensor...

And Just1MoreDave: No, no filter set... I noted on some of the auctions around the place they note it includes the filters... so guess I missed out there ... but them the breaks buying used I guessed... As for setting the focus... I'll have to have a squirrel around for a guide and check it... seemed ok though so far..
05-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

US$170 is a good price these days, especially with all the goodies. You have done well, grasshopper.

The Zen is nicely slightly fishy on APS-C, and nicely fishy on FF. Mine is the Zenitar-K2 with a PK-M mount. This makes it a Green-button lens on my K20D, but it stops-down automagically on my ZX-M. Alas, no filters. I'm not even sure the Zen-K2 has provision for them. (And I'm too lazy to run downstairs to check.)

05-16-2011, 04:00 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is quite real enough, the cropping just buffers the effect somewhat. The difference between a fisheye and rectilinear wide-angle is the field projection model. The key to fishiness is the orientation of straight lines to the lens center axis. I have taken photos with the Zenitar 16 on FF film where there is almost NO fishiness. Alternatively, I have some APS-C shots that are quite fishy.

Steve

(Ironically, fisheye lenses have almost no distortion of relative size/volume throughout the field. The lines may be curved, but they are not distorted.)
My point was that you can reduce the fish eye effect considerably with careful framing and cropping. You can also not do that and get nice fishy shots. It depends on which way you want to go.

NaCl(it make the lens more versitile IMO)H2O