Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
HSM/SDM lenses for Pentax?

Are there currently any Hypersonic (or, as Pentax calls it, Supersonic) lenses even available for the Pentax DSLRs? I'm going to be purchasing a Sigma 10-20mm wide angle, and on Amazon (and a few other sites, such as 47th Street Photo) they are calling it a HSM lens for Pentax. But Sigma's site it says that the HSM version is only for Sigma, Canon, and Nikon cameras. On B&H's website, they don't list it as HSM.

I know that the latest firmware update for the Pentax allows for the use of what it says are Pentax's SDM lens line, but I have yet to see any lenses from this line. I'd love to try one out...

I also tried to locate the Pentax lens Road map that was posted on here before to see if there were any SDM lenses on it, but I can't find it.

11-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The Pentax Lens Roadmap is available here:

pentax lens roadmap - Google Search

Currently, there are two SDM lenses available: the DA* 16-50 and the DA* 50-135. These lenses are also weather-sealed to match the K10D.

There's a few others due out :soon" on the roadmap, although with the Hoya buyout it's unsure how that will go.

Sigma hasn't yet reverse-engineered the Pentax SDM interface; presumably they will eventually.
11-04-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

As Matt says, there's only two SDM lenses currently available; the two DA* zooms. Beyond that, rumours / hints from "people in the know" have more lenses being announced in January; presumably at least some of these will include SDM since it's supported by both the K10d and K100D Super.

As for the third-parties there's even less information; they may be working on reverse-engineering in order to make SDM-compatible lenses, or they may simply be waiting to see what happens to post-takeover Pentax before going ahead. Either way we'll be the last to hear about it.
11-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #4

Original Poster
So, I shouldn't wait to buy this lens, probably. I would love to have it before Thanksgiving, but was going to wait to buy it sometime in the spring. But, really, it's not like there's a new one that will be coming out in this focal range that is HSM driven any time soon.