Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 04:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Keeping LBA in check

My rule for buying lenses is either to purchase lenses that fill a need for me (I stress the "need") or a lens that replaces and improves on what I have (then I sell the previous one) or just a lens that I can play with and then resell at a honest price.

Yesterday I went to a flea market in town, and saw a M80-200 f4,5 in excellent shape, in a very damaged case. I asked the price, which wasn't bad but wasn't good. The owner didn't want to negotiate at all (he should have, it was a flea market ) so I passed.

I'm proud of my willpower (such as it is) but I still wonder if I should have bought it anyway, if only to put it back in circulation amongst pentaxians here.

05-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Of my personal lens-buying rules, the applicable section here is: Set a limit on what a lens is worth to you, and don't exceed it by more than US$5. Well, that's for cheap lenses. I might raise that margin to US$20 for more notable glass. But that's how I keep LBA in check. I must be ruthless about what I can afford. If a price is beyond my comfort level, I drop it an move on. There is always another lens.
05-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've made a $10 limit - unless it's a specific lens - on my LBA.

... do you realize how many $10 and under lenses there are

But indeed, you showed excellent backbone and self control. Congratulations. Why don't you reward yourself with a lens
05-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
... do you realize how many $10 and under lenses there are
I just checked my database. Of my 205 current lenses, 95 were under US$11. Of the 112 I've sold, 66 cost me under US$11, and 33 sold for under US$11. Oops, I forgot to include 3 Fujinons I just got for US$1.25 each. I'd better add those to the database. (I pick that US$11 cutoff because a number of lenses score at US$10.25.)

So the answer to your question is, ZILLIONS!

QuoteQuote:
But indeed, you showed excellent backbone and self control. Congratulations. Why don't you reward yourself with a lens
I don't think this is pukka under any 10-step program.

Meanwhile, I have a 12-step weight-loss program. That's the number I must ascend from my basement 'suite' to the adobe casita's main floor. Plus another couple into the kitchen. Let's see, I could reward myself with another quesadilla for every 100 steps...

05-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RR, with his food post reminded me of my LBA limiting rule. If I have to live on hot dogs and peanut butter for over three weeks after the purchase of a lens, then I think twice about buying it. Note that I didn't say that I wouldn't buy it, just that I'd think twice

NaCl(the upside is if I buy the lens I lose weight!)H2O
05-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Who can afford peanut butter?!? Brown rice and broccoli will stretch the hot dogs much further. Besides, PB on franks always seemed a bit... perverted... to me. Chunky salsa is zippier.

Some here already know my food vs lens rule:

If it costs less than a sandwich or hamburger, buy it.
If it costs more than a large pizza, think real hard about it.
And if it costs more than a fine dinner with your other, ask many questions here!

Yeah, buying lenses instead of burgers is a great control program!
05-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a very high metabolism so the prospect of trading calories for lenses is a scary one for me. I suppose if I wanted to keep up my weight while binging on lenses I could always resort to large quantities of ramen, which have a much higher calorie : price ratio than hot dogs.
05-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter

When considering buying a lens, I have to torture myself for a few days. Should I get it? Is the price fair? Will I feel guilty about taking money away from a family expense? Somewhat of a cool down period to test myself on how badly I want the lens. Of course I don't need the lens. I just want the lens! Cause it is a different lens and not the same as the many others I have. It will bring me another experience. A different satisfaction.

The same applies to compact discs.
And probably if I had more than a thousand lenses... Well I doubt my life would be anything like it is now.

05-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Who can afford peanut butter?!? Brown rice and broccoli will stretch the hot dogs much further. Besides, PB on franks always seemed a bit... perverted... to me. Chunky salsa is zippier.

Some here already know my food vs lens rule:

And if it costs more than a fine dinner with your other, ask many questions here!

Yeah, buying lenses instead of burgers is a great control program!
Good rules, to be truthful I've never put PB on HDs that's just yuk. PB is for breakfast. And I get the fresh ground right-out-of-the-machine kind, it's much better.

NaCl(that's what I like about this place, a discussion on LBA can morph into the relative merits of PB!)H2O
05-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I had a set of rules that kept me in check for several years

I had invested in several quality zooms (sigma 10-20, tamron 29-75 and sigma 70-200). I set a rule for myself. Buy only if it is faster longer wider than my zooms. This worked very well with me getting only fast mf primes until I tripped over a super tak 85f1.8. I already had the vivitar/samyang 85/1.4 but the price was too good to pass. That started me on a 13 lens M42 kit oops
05-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I forgot to include 3 Fujinons I just got for US$1.25 each.
How on Earth did you manage that?

I love that rule. I actually followed it, and passed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Buy only if it is faster longer wider than my zooms
I like that too. It's another way of saying I might buy if it improves on what I have.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone being reasonable even around fine lenses. The thing is, the 80-200 would not have been used at all, except for testing, since my 100-300 AF is very good, and hundred times more convenient. And even though buying a lens won't prevent me from eating, I cannot afford to begin a collection.
05-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
I forgot to include 3 Fujinons I just got for US$1.25 each.
How on Earth did you manage that?
The Flea At The Downs, Santa Fe NM. Great flea market.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge:
Buy only if it is faster longer wider than my zooms
I like that too. It's another way of saying I might buy if it improves on what I have.
That's an excellent rule for expensive lenses. But for *cheap* lenses, I go for the gusto.