Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #1

Fitting the Super-Takumar 1.2/55 lens onto the K-X?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi

I've recently got a Super-Takumar 1:2/55 Asahi Lens and wondered what type of adapter would i need to make it fit and work on my Pentax K-X, it's my first non auto-focus lens and wondered if anyone had any experience with this lens?

Last edited by spikebebop; 05-16-2011 at 08:53 AM.
05-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard! I assume you mean the Super Takumar 55mm f/1:2, aka f/2, aka 55/2 lens. It's a great piece of work and tremendously underrated and undervalued. I think it's the best cheap deal in quality lenses now, period.

To fit this M42 screwmount lens onto your PK-mount Kx, you need an M42-PK adapter. Physically, there are two sorts: the wide-flange NIF (no-infinity-focus) type, which is useful for close-up and macro shooting; and the narrow-flange type that allows infinity focus, which you need for everything else. Unless you intend to shoot bugs on flowers, skip the NIF type for now.

You should start with an Official Pentax M42-PK adapter, safe but usually not cheap. Some here will recommend a Fotodiox adapter as both safe and cheap, but I haven't tried one yet. Other cheap third-party clones of the Official Pentax adapter exist, but you can skip those until you accumulate a pile of Takumars or other M42 lenses.

Be sure to read this sticky: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html. Have fun!
05-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax M42 Adapter

It's a M42 mount. You'll need to get an adapter @ $30 for the original Pentax M42 adapter.

I have one and love the shots I get with it.
05-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may need to set the feature "Using Aperture Ring" in the custom menu to "Permitted" if auto aperture doesn't work as well for you and shoot metering with the green button in M mode.

Beyond that, make sure the viewfinder diopter is adjusted correctly, because it's really easy to misfocus when you have such a open aperture lens.

EDIT: Looks like you all beat me to the punch, nice.

Last edited by icywindow; 05-16-2011 at 09:12 AM.
05-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the info guys, I've seen a Pentax one on ebay would this one be the official one to go for? LINK
05-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
JVi

QuoteOriginally posted by spikebebop Quote
Thanks for the info guys, I've seen a Pentax one on ebay would this one be the official one to go for? LINK
That's a real one. They also say Asahi Pentax on the top and Japan on the bottom. Anything else is an imposter but usable if you remove the side clip.
Pentax USA sells them for ~$32 brand new!
05-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think a safe alternative to the genuine Pentax adaptor would be SRB Griturn's offering. Much cheaper and easier to get hold of in the UK. Here's a recent thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/143153-m42-adaptors-good-bad.html

It looks like it's one of the few third-party adaptors to be properly designed.