Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Zooming In The Rain Video

A poster in the K-5 section believes Pentax sealed zoom lens might not hold tight if zoomed during a rain-storm. I do agree if in a hurricane or standing right under some heavy water-fall I might wipe my barrel down a bit. But not in any snow or rain storm. I am free of any worry that my DA18-55mm WR will leak if I zoom it while in a hard rain (just am). I do hold some healthy caution... but its what I paid for. Here is a copy of the same post and the video.

OK made a video shown in my post a couple pages back. But this was not enough to prove the K20D and DA18-55 WR are fully functional (can be zoomed) in any weather. So (Yesterday-Sunday) I had a nice all day hard rain to make another short video. Long story short. I tilted my camera up so the rain would drain down the barrel of the lens then zoomed it. No water has entered the body or lens!!! Hey I have been using it in rain storms and snow storms for a over 3 years now I am not surprised. Just hope others understand Pentax makes seriously sealed gear (but sadly mishaps happen) not semi-sealed, sealed for all weather tough condition use. Polycarbonate and stainless steel is serious semi-pro level stuff as well as Silicone that's used in many of the seals; Pro level sealing. The K20D with grip and lens has 116 seals to keep out moisture and dust. It works when Pentax puts it together right.

YouTube - K20D DA18-55mm WR zooming in the rain