Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2007, 04:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

35-105mm in low light: any thoughts?

Well this is it: I need a zoom for concert shots.
Due to the lack of availibility of 506135mm used or affordable for my wallet and of 80-200mm I was wondering what a 35-105 could do in low light.

Do you have any photographic examples?

Thanks

11-05-2007, 04:37 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Are You talking about Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5? I can tell you that this lens is very sharp even wide open. F3.5 is not very fast, so if You need something brighter, look for some prime lenses.
11-05-2007, 05:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well that's correct, this is the one.
I have primes but I do concert shots right now, and changing lenses in the middle of a jumping crowd is not the easiest thing!
Anyway it won't be better than 2.8.
I wonder how big (2/3 stop) is the difference between 3.5 and 2.8 ...I mean I know mathematically but I haven't experienced it yet...
11-05-2007, 06:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The better way to think about it, in my opinion, is the extra 2/3 stop of shutter speed it gives you. In low light and with people/things in motion, sometimes that little bit is a whole lot. Other times its irrelevant. And still other times it just ain't enough.

Will you be using flash?

11-05-2007, 06:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
absolutely no FLASH I hate it and find it agressive, that's my opinion.
So the lens I am using most right now are 50mm at 1.4 and 100mm at 2.8 at between 800 and 1600...
On top of that exposure control is impossible on manual mode and I use prime non A lenses...
tough life!
11-05-2007, 06:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

"M" lenses are more trouble than they're worth. Given my druthers, I take screwmounts. When I don't get my druthers, I keep a couple of "A" lenses handy.

I agree with your opinion of flash, at least when it is mounted on the camera. If you can possibly set it up remote, it is very unobtrusive. Not an option at all venues, of course, so even that has its drawbacks and limitations.

I won't try to argue you into it, but I will point out that exposure control is far from impossible in manual mode. Take a look at the photos in this thread. They were all shot with remote triggered flash, set up about 30 feet away from where I was with the camera. All taken with screwmount lenses, and things don't get much more manual than screwmounts.
11-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
great shots!
Impossible for me to install flash in the concert halls, so I won't even try this option.

As far as M lenses are concerned and I've tried it it is impossible to use Bracketing in M mode, that's even in the manual.
So bottom line I use the 100mm at 2.8 at 1600 most of the time...tedious to say the least!
MySpace.com - Lunacalor - 33 - Female - Paris, Ile-de-France - www.myspace.com/lunacalor
Luncalor's lab

Maybe I should get some As...
11-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've bracketed in M mode.

Shoot. Spin thumb wheel to change shutter speed one stop. Shoot again. Spin back to change two stops. Shoot again. There's your zero, plus one, and minus one bracket shots.

Yes, some "A" lenses would make more sense for what you're proposing to use them for. I'm a fanatic for my screwmounts, but even I recognize there are times when they're a hindrance and I (reluctantly) switch to "A"s. Sometimes the situation dictates the equipment.

11-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Substitute Quote
absolutely no FLASH I hate it and find it agressive, that's my opinion.
So the lens I am using most right now are 50mm at 1.4 and 100mm at 2.8 at between 800 and 1600...
On top of that exposure control is impossible on manual mode and I use prime non A lenses...
tough life!
I have both the M 100 f2.8 and the A35-106 f3.5. You are pushing low light well past what I do so take this with a grain of salt. Even in good light that 2/3 of a stop is big. Trying to focus the 35-105 in low light is not much fun. I like it a great deal but for what you are doing I think you would be better off switching between your 50 and 100.

Mike, you said

""M" lenses are more trouble than they're worth. Given my druthers, I take screwmounts. When I don't get my druthers, I keep a couple of "A" lenses handy."

You know I really like your work and agree with you most of the time but this dislike of the M series makes no sense to me. For many lenses the optics in the M and A series is the same so why would you like the A's and not the M's?

Regards,

Ken
11-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It isn't about the optics. The fine distinctions that most are able to recognize between one lens and another fly right over my head. I'm pretty much blind to them.

My distaste for M lenses applies only to using them on our DSLRs with their crippled mounts. I find the shooting process awkward and inconvenient. Maybe if the K100D had the nice green button like the K10D does I'd have a different opinion. But I find the AE-L button manual metering on the K100D to be an ergonomic disaster. I can't hit the thing comfortably and consistently.

With the A lenses, of course, that problem goes away. And with M42 lenses it also goes away. And using Av mode I set the aperture and meter the shot all at once, with my left hand never leaving the lens barrel and my eye never leaving the viewfiender. I just find them much more convenient.

It comes down to budget, I suppose. If I had the money, I'd shoot modern top-end primes. With less money, I'd at least shoot all "A" lenses. I'm at a borderline "M" budget, find them awkward to use, and solve the situation by shooting even cheaper M42s.

So it's all about the price and ease of use. Optically, I have no opinion on them one way or the other.
11-06-2007, 04:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"EV compensation is not available when the exposure mode is set to
B(Green), a (Hyper-manual), p (Bulb) or M (Flash X-sync speed) mode."

That's page 161 of the manual Mike, so NO you can't do bracketing on M mode with a K10D, I know what I am saying!
11-06-2007, 05:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think we may have been two ships that passed in the night on the bracketing in M mode.

I wasn't talking about being able to make a setting for pushing a button to make bracketing happen automatically. I was talking about doing it the old-fashioned way. I said:

QuoteQuote:
I've bracketed in M mode.

Shoot. Spin thumb wheel to change shutter speed one stop. Shoot again. Spin back to change two stops. Shoot again. There's your zero, plus one, and minus one bracket shots.
That's M mode and it puts three bracketed exposures on the SD card. Wherein lies the problem?

And what does the EV compensation setting have to do with bracketing anyway? Have you been bracketing with the EV +/- button? That's one way to skin the cat, I suppose. But let us not forget there are others.
11-06-2007, 11:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Substitute the A-35-105 is an excellent lens. It is a heavy lens though. In low light concert setting best quality would be obtained using a mono pod which might not be ideal in your situation.

A cheap and light weight alternative might be the smc PENTAX-F ZOOM 1:3.5-4.5 35-70 mm. You can probably find this lens for $50(US). It is a sharp lens with good color and contrast. As an F lens the camera body can read all focal lengths for SR.