Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #31
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
When I want flowers to look wet I just get the garden hose out and give them a spray
Upon reading this, I rest my case...

05-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #32
Pentaxian

When I want flowers to look wet I just get the garden hose out and give them a spray
See, now you've given yourself away as just trolling....
05-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
See, now you've given yourself away as just trolling....
Actually, no, both my weather sealed body and lenses are well out of warranty, if the seals leak and the equipment is fried, do you think Pentax will do anything about it? So I resort to the plastic bag cover even though I supposedly have a weather sealed body and camera. I have to ask myself what the point was in the first place of getting this weather sealed body and lens, as the plastic bag does the job for my non weather sealed kit just as well.
Did you know even with divers watches that go down to 100 metres you still have to get the watch serviced and pressure tested every year, otherwise the watch is not gauranteed in case of water ingress.
Better safe than sorry.....
05-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Whats all this fuss about WR anyway, just use a lens cover in the rain, or just a plastic shopping bag. I can count the times I have felt the need to shoot in the rain on the fingers of one hand and I've had the twin weather sealed zooms and weather sealed body since 2007.
But some of us shoot in dry dusty conditions, such as central and southern Utah. Weather sealing can be particularly useful here.

05-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #35
axl
Veteran Member

Actually, no, both my weather sealed body and lenses are well out of warranty, if the seals leak and the equipment is fried, do you think Pentax will do anything about it? So I resort to the plastic bag cover even though I supposedly have a weather sealed body and camera. I have to ask myself what the point was in the first place of getting this weather sealed body and lens, as the plastic bag does the job for my non weather sealed kit just as well.
Did you know even with divers watches that go down to 100 metres you still have to get the watch serviced and pressure tested every year, otherwise the watch is not gauranteed in case of water ingress.
Better safe than sorry.....
So according to this rule of dumb...ehm, sorry thumb, I should stop wearing my shoes when they pass the warranty or stop watching my telly (ideally go and get new one) after 2 years (EU consumer protection warranty), right? Ehm... I don't think so. If I invested in certain features, I will use them. Besides I have used numerous lenses, FA31, 43, 77, DA40, K50/1.2, K55/1.8, K24/2.8, FA100, FA135, DA18-55 and non sealed K100D vody too, in rain, drizzle, fog and snow and never had to use plastic bag. The WR feature just reassures me that I can use the equipment in all these conditions without any worry based on any substantial reason...
05-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I can see the value of weather sealing for dusty conditions as its something I encounter frequently as well.
05-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #37
Pentaxian

In my former life, i was a mechanical engineer. The best way to destroy Pentax's limited metal pancake style of lens is to make them weather resistant. By the time the engineers are through with them, they'll be much larger, much heavier, and cost twice as much. Any other manufacturer would love to have Pentax's limited pancake lenses. Please don't destroy them by making them WR.

Look what happened to the size and weight of telescopic lenses once they decided to put in lens stabilization. Its the law of unintended consequences. One of Pentax's hallmarks has been small size cameras. We need to have at least some limited lenses that are really small with great optics to brag about.

When i'm in the rain, i pull out my 50-135 and have a great time. Or I bring a towel out. Encourage Pentax to make a few prime weatherresistant lenses if you will, but please, don't mess with the pancakes.
05-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
but please, don't mess with the pancakes
+1 on that comment, I enjoy the dimunitive pancake styling. Make more DA* primes but dont mess with the limiteds.

Which appears to be Pentax's strategy in any case...

05-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't think anyone said to mess with the pancakes... I actually said not to. Just said it would be nice if they made some NEW prime lenses that were wider and weather-resistant... and since the pancakes are so popular, try to follow that design -- if possible.
05-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In my former life, i was a mechanical engineer. The best way to destroy Pentax's limited metal pancake style of lens is to make them weather resistant. By the time the engineers are through with them, they'll be much larger, much heavier, and cost twice as much. Any other manufacturer would love to have Pentax's limited pancake lenses. Please don't destroy them by making them WR.
Are you sure they'd be bigger? What about the D FA 100mm macro, adding WR didn't affect the size.
05-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In my former life, i was a mechanical engineer. The best way to destroy Pentax's limited metal pancake style of lens is to make them weather resistant. By the time the engineers are through with them, they'll be much larger, much heavier, and cost twice as much.
This may well be a valid point but I'm trying to understand why that might be the case? As pointed out, the 100 macro didn't get larger, and the 18-55 and 50-200 kits were made WR without any other major change. The 16-50, 50-135 and 60-250 are relatively small compared to some unsealed alternatives, and generally not priced highly compared to other major brands. Pentax also makes the most well sealed advanced/mid-range DSLR and it's more compact than comparable cameras as well.

Like I said, I don't know much about lens design so maybe you're still correct RE the limited lenses. But if it did affect size, I would be with you on keeping them super compact. However that would still leave the gap of a wide to standard sealed (and hopefully somewhat fast) prime.

Last edited by CWyatt; 05-19-2011 at 07:31 PM.