Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Weather sealing and prime lenses

Off the top of my head, the weather sealed Pentax primes are the new version 100 macro, and the DA* 55, 200 and 300's.

I think Pentax is missing a trick having no wide or normal sealed prime lenses (unless I'm missing something?). I don't know a whole lot about lens design, but is there a reason, say, the 15, 21 or 40mm limiteds aren't sealed? Would it have a significant impact on size or cost? I would have imagined a small prime would be easier to seal than a large zoom like the DA* 16-50. Is this incorrect? I'm also someone who would love something like a 24mm f/1.8 WR from Pentax, but I don't see any indication of it coming.

Thanks for info.

Last edited by CWyatt; 05-17-2011 at 05:12 PM.
05-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
I think Pentax is missing a trick having no wide or normal sealed prime lenses (unless I'm missing something?). I don't know a whole lot about lens design, but is there a reason, say, the 15, 21 or 40mm limiteds aren't sealed? Would it have a significant impact on size or cost?
I would have thought WR should have an impact or size, but the D FA 100mm WR refutes that. Everyone wants WR Limiteds.

I'm also someone who would love something like a 24mm f/1.8 WR from Pentax, but I don't see any indication of it coming.
I agree, Pentax needs a 24mm, and WR would be nice. Unfortunately we have no indication of anything Pentax is planning since the death of the Roadmap. I don't think other companies broadcast their development plans either, understandably. Releasing your intent gives the competition an advantage.
05-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The road map had a DA*30 f1.4 but that seems to have been shelved, I imagine the market was seen as too small for such a lens at the cost they would have to sell it at (ie, it would make the fa31 seem cheap)

Last edited by twitch; 05-17-2011 at 06:30 PM.
05-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think it depends, the good Sigma 30mm f/1.4, although by means a perfect lens, is a good price for the speed.

05-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I actually recently started a thread about this exact topic:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/142513-my-frustration-prime-shooter.html

At least one person suggested in their replies that there's no need for weather-sealing on the limiteds because they are mostly mechanical and can withstand rain/snow rather well. While I can see the theory in that argument (and have gone out in the rain with a limited lens myself), I will say I don't exactly agree it's risk-free... or even recommended. If water can get into the non-WR lens, it could certainly get into the body and potentially do damage, even if it doesn't damage the lens (and I'm not at all sure I'm convinced of that either for prolonged rain usage).

Bottom line is, I'm with ya. I'd love some weather-sealed limiteds. Geez, even one would be good, like something in the 21-28mm range to complement the DA* 55mm.
05-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link, didn't see the thread.
05-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whats all this fuss about WR anyway, just use a lens cover in the rain, or just a plastic shopping bag. I can count the times I have felt the need to shoot in the rain on the fingers of one hand and I've had the twin weather sealed zooms and weather sealed body since 2007.
05-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some people shoot in rain a lot.

05-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Whats all this fuss about WR anyway, just use a lens cover in the rain, or just a plastic shopping bag. I can count the times I have felt the need to shoot in the rain on the fingers of one hand and I've had the twin weather sealed zooms and weather sealed body since 2007.
Well isn't that just grand for you!

Seriously dude, we're not all sunny-weather shooters. And we don't all want to carry big heavy zooms either. I go out in the rain A LOT. Part of the reason I bought into the K-5 was to be able to go out in the rain worry-free. For those of us who like to shoot in the rain and snow and who value small, light and sharp primes, it would be great to have a few sealed ones that could provide stress-free shooting in bad weather, without the hassle of a plastic bag.

I love people who think "I don't need it, so that must mean no one else does either"...
05-18-2011, 03:26 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
55 is pretty small but yes we need more.
05-18-2011, 03:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
55 is pretty small but yes we need more.
Small by physical size you mean? Unfortunately it's the shortest sealed, but it's a short tele.
05-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
At least one person suggested in their replies that there's no need for weather-sealing on the limiteds because they are mostly mechanical and can withstand rain/snow rather well.
I believe this is bad advice. Even if the camera isn't damaged by water entering through the lens, the lens itself may start to develop fungus, depending on storing conditions. Unless the lens is stored in a way that makes the water evaporate completely and relatively quickly again, repeated exposure to water, I believe, is bound to support fungus growth sooner or later.

Lenses are probably safe against starting to rust internally but I wouldn't vouch for it.

FWIW, FA Ltd lenses do contain some electronics (to support MFT optimised program modes) and the respective parts may also be damaged.
05-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Some people shoot in rain a lot.
Do they shoot in the rain because they have weather sealing? Or is there something special about shooting conditions during rain? Or is it because it rains more than it's clear where they live?

My own perception is that things look miserable when it rains. The only times I have shot in the rain were when I was on a tour I had already paid for and it was a case of either take some photos or have no memories of the tour.
Weather sealing or not I'd rather not expose expensive equipment to water. And I'm definitely not exposing any of my limiteds to rain weather sealing or not.
In fact weather sealing has made my da* zooms chunky and heavy making it a pain to carry around on a holiday.
The last time I used a lens in the train it was a non weather sealed f*300. The plastic shopping bag provided very effective protection against rain.
05-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I believe this is bad advice. Even if the camera isn't damaged by water entering through the lens, the lens itself may start to develop fungus, depending on storing conditions. Unless the lens is stored in a way that makes the water evaporate completely and relatively quickly again, repeated exposure to water, I believe, is bound to support fungus growth sooner or later.

Lenses are probably safe against starting to rust internally but I wouldn't vouch for it.

FWIW, FA Ltd lenses do contain some electronics (to support MFT optimised program modes) and the respective parts may also be damaged.
Don't have to argue with me. While I'd likely take my own limiteds out in the rain from time to time (I did today), I certainly wouldn't recommend it, and realize I do it at my own risk!

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Do they shoot in the rain because they have weather sealing? Or is there something special about shooting conditions during rain? Or is it because it rains more than it's clear where they live?

My own perception is that things look miserable when it rains. The only times I have shot in the rain were when I was on a tour I had already paid for and it was a case of either take some photos or have no memories of the tour.
Weather sealing or not I'd rather not expose expensive equipment to water. And I'm definitely not exposing any of my limiteds to rain weather sealing or not.
In fact weather sealing has made my da* zooms chunky and heavy making it a pain to carry around on a holiday.
The last time I used a lens in the train it was a non weather sealed f*300. The plastic shopping bag provided very effective protection against rain.
Good for you. I shoot a lot in adverse weather because I like to. It's a different way to see the world in my opinion. You don't have to agree with it -- that's your choice. My choice is something different.

I'm not sure I agree that weather-sealing would make the limiteds all that much bigger. I'm also not suggesting they replace the current line-up with weather-sealed versions... just that it would be nice if there were a few wider limited with some kind of weather-sealing.
05-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Don't have to argue with me, I certainly wouldn't recommend it
Some "creative editing" of your post....