FA35 3029.41%
FA31 7270.59%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
Here's where we might not be able to agree . . . I'd trust what I see over any figures or chart; but let me attempt to describe differences in resolution I see between Selar's two pictures. Look at them in the "Windows Live" link where the quality is much better, and compare the FA31 and the FA35 at f4 (the third and sixth pictures).

Using the above crops for quick reference, I see more detail in the picture on the left, more depth (as on the surface of the lowest leaf), better color separation, better representation of shadows and highlights . . . overall it is more viscerally pleasing than the picture on the right, which in the past I've described as "flat looking." I might not be able prove it is more pleasing with figures, but I do know that I've had this reaction to other lenses, such as Leica and Voightlander.

I also accept that others don't think the difference is worth fussing about, or paying for. But if the FA31 consistently produced such differences, I'd want it even for a premium price.
Oh, yeah, I completely agree with you, looking at those crops. But like I said before, that's not representative of *my* FA35, nor the work i've seen from FA35s on the forum, on flickr, or on pixel-peeper.com. I don't have selar's FA35, so I can't say any more than "mine doesn't look like that" - feel free to compare the images I posted with the FA; I know they're not the same subject, but I don't live with selar either I think the images I posted illustrate that there is a difference between my FA35 and selar's; I can't even begin to guess which is more representative of the breed, though. Considering photozone's results, I'd guess his is probably the outlier, but there's no way to prove that.

07-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Using the above crops for quick reference
The FA 35 crop looks to be in the bokeh, the leaf in the background is completely smeared out. Different focal points?

I'm not aware of any resolution difference in these lenses that would be visible outside a lab. Bokeh, flare, CA, differences, but not fuzzy for one and sharp for the other. There has to be some other explanation for the resolution difference in these crops.
07-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #108
Veteran Member

I think you might want to look at these comparisons as well >>>

SLR?? Samsung ??????
SLR?? Samsung ??????
07-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote

SLR?? Samsung ??????
SLR?? Samsung ??????
The 31mm looks sharper at 2.0 and the FA 35 takes the lead at smaller apertures.

07-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #110
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The FA 35 crop looks to be in the bokeh, the leaf in the background is completely smeared out. Different focal points?
According to the OP, his camera was on a tripod and he did not change anything other than lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm not aware of any resolution difference in these lenses that would be visible outside a lab. Bokeh, flare, CA, differences, but not fuzzy for one and sharp for the other. There has to be some other explanation for the resolution difference in these crops.
Lol, that strikes me as funny since there are at least two pictures showing resolution differences to be aware of.
07-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #111
Site Supporter

SLR?? Samsung ??????
SLR?? Samsung ??????
I will . . . have you used them?
07-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #112
Veteran Member

I will . . . have you used them?
of course.

FA35 the most, since I own it.
FA31 tried it several times and rented on occasion.
Samsung 30, tried it the least for about 5 mins.

it's too bad that I didn't even tried doing a side by side comparison, maybe because I had to return the FA31 once I'm done with it.

although what I noticed is that the 3 lenses are really sharp as they come and nothing to be disappointed about. it's too bad though that I can't use the Samsung 30mm on a Pentax body. I haven't really considered the Samsung 30mm that much before because I wasn't that really happy with the NX camera's IQ. I felt that the sensor is not a step up to the K-7, although I did like the form factor and EVF. the IQ might not be the best probably due to a strong AA filter application, but not bad considering the lens somehow managed to keep up with the Pentax equivalent. just imagine if the camera sensor is improved and AA filter is not that much applied.

right now, I'm just waiting for Samsung's announcement and it would determine my investment on the NX system. hopeful that they make an FF as well since Pentax has pretty much sealed their fate.
07-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #113
Veteran Member

According to the OP, his camera was on a tripod and he did not change anything other than lenses.
Assuming you'd have to focus each lens means that can't really be true. Assuming he *didn't* focus each lens would handily account for different focal points.
I can't think of a third case for focus.

QuoteQuote:
Lol, that strikes me as funny since there are at least two pictures showing resolution differences to be aware of.
I think what he meant was that their physical, measured MTF is so close that, if you can see a visible difference in resolution, there is probably another explanation rather than "this one resolves more than that one". Which is basically the same thing I said, when I said "My FA35 doesn't look like that, and is ridiculously sharp." And when I say that, I mean it compares favorably (indistinguishably) in sharpness to the FA43 I had, which is typically sharper than the FA31.

07-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #114
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I think what he meant was that their physical, measured MTF is so close that, if you can see a visible difference in resolution, there is probably another explanation rather than "this one resolves more than that one". Which is basically the same thing I said, when I said "My FA35 doesn't look like that, and is ridiculously sharp." And when I say that, I mean it compares favorably (indistinguishably) in sharpness to the FA43 I had, which is typically sharper than the FA31.
Yeah . . . I was just kidding around.
07-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #115
Pentaxian

Just because they were aimed at the same spot doesn't mean they focussed on the same point. If the lenses were focussed on the same point, then the FA 35mm AF is off. As shown in your links and on Photozone, the 31mm should not outresolve the FA 35 like that.

LOL, you got me there.
07-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #116
Site Supporter

SLR?? Samsung ??????
SLR?? Samsung ??????
How about this for the 28mm - 31mm slot:

It can be had for $300 - $500 at Ebay, plus add the cost of this Leitax adaption, and a Limited quality lens (according to this Sirens review rating it 4.7 out of 5) can be had for a substantial savings. And though AF is lost, it meters in Av and M modes, close focuses to 10 inches (great for wide angle dramatics), is reasonably fast, and is a compact little thing at 280g and 2.4 x 2 inches.
07-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #117
Veteran Member

It can be had for $300 - $500 at Ebay, plus add the cost of this Leitax adaption, and a Limited quality lens (according to this Sirens review rating it 4.7 out of 5) can be had for a substantial savings. And though AF is lost, it meters in Av and M modes, close focuses to 10 inches (great for wide angle dramatics), is reasonably fast, and is a compact little thing at 280g and 2.4 x 2 inches.
I loves me some Zeiss; if I could manually focus the shorter lenses like this rapidly with any reliability, I'd be all over something like that.
07-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #118
Veteran Member

if only it were faster. :ugh:
07-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #119
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
his camera was on a tripod and he did not change anything other than lenses.
Flowers and leaves move in the breeze. It was a still day, but the wind from passing cars did move the flowers and leaves, I could only wait so long for the movement from one passing car to die down, before the next car came along. I woulddn't be so concerned about that leaf Les and Steve are discussing. Or the light shining through the petals in one shot vs the other, the flower could have moved ever so slightly, changing the light angle.

From using the two, I find it really hard to choose beween the FA35 and FA31. At the moment, I am leaning towards the FA31 because its "new", and the bokeh is a bit smoother, but there isn't really any real reason to say one is better than the other, atleast on the K-x sensor. Could be different on film.
07-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #120
Veteran Member

FA31limited should be given a proper competitor.
I have to say that, FA35 is not qualified at all.

Wide Open: Pentax 31 Limited & Leica 35 Summilux ASPH | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS