Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
50mm FA f1.4 and a quick depth of field study

My first post. (Other than the "welcome" post.)

Here is a quick Depth of field study: (Look at the WOOD as well as the lego figures.)

Use the left and right buttons to go from the f1.6 to f11. (f1.4 and f16 were blurry and I didn't do f22.0...)

http://keithlm.smugmug.com/Photography/New-50mm-f14/17117444_phvdjP

I don't think it is too bad for the first 15 minutes of using my new lens, hand held with a backlight. I must say that I'm impressed with these new DSLR cameras. Back in the day, when dinosaurs roamed, with a film camera that kind of backlight would have been a headache.

NOTE: I will probably redo these shots with a tripod and a remote shutter to make sure nothing moves. I'll set up a photo-tent so the illumination is uniform; no backlighting. I'll go from 1.4 up to 22.0 in whole step increments.

BTW: here is my parrot at f1.4: (The feathers by her eye are RAZOR sharp. She's a ham so I take a lot of pics of her. Ignore the icky neck where new feathers are growing in. Far enough back beyond the plane of her eyes it is out of focus. :-)

Not bad for one first pics of her with the new lens. Actually I don't like the composition, it is kind of "too rough" but it definitely jumps out at you.

Last edited by keithlm; 08-09-2011 at 11:23 PM.
05-18-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums, keithlm!

That's a really nice demonstration of what happens as you stop the FA 50/1.4 down - though I think you're right, it would be better with a tripod.

Your lens is known to lose some sharpness when wide open, but as your, er, family portrait has shown, the lens still has plenty of resolving power at that aperture.

I agree with you about these new-fangled DSLRs - I think they're great. The pace at which technology advances is truly amazing...

I think we'll all be looking forward to your future posts!
05-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice comparison. Personally I always find some creative possibilities with this lens as you open up to 1.4