Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
When everyone seems to say the da 35 has a slow auto focus, how slow is slow? Could you focus kids moving around at a park, or are you limited to static objects?

05-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I would go with 35+100mm combo.

50-135mm is a nice lens but does not match the quality of above combo. Not to open a can of worms, I had an opportunity to test 50-135mm before I bought 70-200mm and personally I found 50-135mm a bit soft wide open.
The only real negatives to the 50-135 vs. those primes would be greater size and weight and not-as-close focusing. Many primes will AF faster, too, but those two, not so much. The 50-135 is most definitely not soft. Sharp IQ is perhaps it's greatest strength. If you experienced softness, you either had a lesser copy or something else was going on.

I consider myself a prime guy, but there are instances when zooms are nearly irreplaceable. We are fortunate that Pentax makes some excellent zooms, and the 50-135 is certainly one of them. That being said, I wouldn't fault anybody for choosing primes instead.
05-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
When everyone seems to say the da 35 has a slow auto focus, how slow is slow? Could you focus kids moving around at a park, or are you limited to static objects?
Me personally I have a hard time with the da 35 and moving kids. Its ok if you are standing at a dsitance, otherwise not so great. Maybe better technique could change things some. But I have read at least one detailed review where the reviewer said the exact same thing:

Pentax SMCP-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited User Review « robertsdonovan.com

"This incredible focus range (infinity to 0.139M) is the DA 35 Macro’s Achilles heel. It is very deliberate and accurate when shooting macro but becomes slow and laborious when taking snap shots. If the camera misses the focus point it will usually run all the way to one extreme of the focal range and then back to the focus point where (hopefully) it will lock on. If not, it will continue on to the opposite end of the focus range before heading back to try again. On a normal lens this “focus hunting” can be a bit annoying as the lens “ziiiip-ziiiips” back and forth before locking focus. On the DA 35 Macro focus hunting goes more like “ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip, ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiip, ziiiiiip, ziiip-zip.” I missed a ton of snap shots with the kids while this lens oscillated back and forth the focus scale on me.

Don’t misunderstand me. I’m not saying the focus isn’t accurate. As all Pentaxians apparently already know, their DSLRs do not have the fastest autofocus system. The DA 35 Macro exacerbates this problem considerably. Its deliberate focusing is an important feature for shooting critical macro shots in controlled conditions but is also the main reason why it isn’t a replacement for standard lenses for every day use. IMO there’s nothing wrong with being good at what you do and sticking to it".

Apart from this one fault, this is a great lens...