Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

wide lens suggestion?

Hey, I'm a DSLR Newbie. I just got the K-x and I'm wanting a wide angle lens for learning architectural photography and video recording inside the house (time laps type stuff of my daughter playing, etc.). Is there any suggestions?

I also don't understand which 3rd party lenses are compatible with my k-x.

My budget is pretty low right now. I have about 300 to spend on lenses, but was going to put 200 of it toward a portrait lens with automatic features. the automatic is less important for my wide lens since I will be shooting still objects or just presetting it and letting it stand on the tripod for the video. So really no more than 100....is there one decent enough worth getting for that price? If not I'll stick with my kit lens at 18mm for now.

05-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are lots of sigma and tamron (and other brands) lenses for pentax- check out this db:

Third-Party Lenses for Pentax - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

If you want something that cheap, it certaintly won't be wider than 18mm, though.
05-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah I'm a little embarassed I asked this (ok a lot), cause I hadn't looked at any wide angle lenses. I assumed that a M or A series would be super inexpensive like the 50mm seem to be. But I guess wide angles are a lot more money. I think I"m for sure putting all money money toward a 50mm instead of trying to get one of each. Also the older series doesn't seem to get too wide anyhow. Not that I know how wide is wide since I haven't had the experience, I just know my 18mm isn't as wide as I wanted to get. It will totally work for now though. Maybe in a year, haha.

Thanks for the link to the third party lenses for pentax.
05-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That kit lens is a great performer. I'd recommend using it till you feel its holding you back. A lot of people have taken wonderful photos with it.

05-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If 18mm isn't wide enough, and you still want auto focus, you'd be limited to the Sigma 8-16, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 10-24 or Pentax 12-24. However, these are ultrawide angle lenses that do command a higher price tag, as mentioned. There is also the Pentax 16-45 (if 2mm is enough for you at the wide end, plus it's quite cheap), the Tamron 17-50 (which is a good value, fast lens) and the Pentax 17-70.
05-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You will NOT find an ultrawide lens (non-fisheye) for US$100 or less unless it's stolen, or the seller is clueless. Or is maybe a vindictive wife, eh? By ultrawide, I mean wider than your 18mm kit lens. You CAN find an ultrawide adapter for less than that, but it will suck greatly. The best ultrawide deal was the Tamron 10-24 for US$375 with a rebate, but that expired several months ago. This is just the current reality.

A possibility: You say you want a 50mm, a Fast Fifty probably. Quality used manual 50-55mm lenses of f/2 or faster can be quite cheap, like well under US$20. So, buy such a cheap manual Fifty, use it with CIF (catch-in-focus, the poor hominid's AF), and save up for an ultrawide.

You MIGHT find a used Tammy 10-24 or Sigma 10-20 within striking distance of your price range. But be aware that some users report trying several copies of each before finding a good one. Unless the seller is willing to accept the return of an imperfect used lens, buy a new one, and be prepared to play shipping tag.
05-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mhaws Quote
My budget is pretty low right now. I have about 300 to spend on lenses, but was going to put 200 of it toward a portrait lens with automatic features. the automatic is less important for my wide lens since I will be shooting still objects or just presetting it and letting it stand on the tripod for the video.
As mentioned, that's just not a viable budget. But I'd also suggest that portrait lenses are ones where you don't normally need AF - after all, AF can't decide if you want to focus on the eye or the nose, and that often matters. Plus, subjects aren't moving, so you all the time in the world to focus.

So if you're trying to keep costs down, the way to do so will be to get a manual portrait lens, but an AF wide angle, simply because there really aren't many older lenses that are wide angle on APS-C. Consider, a 20mm lens was already insanely wide on film, but it's only barely wide on APS-C. if you want a lens wider than the kit lens, it will almost certainly turn out to be one made specifically for digital, and that means it will just as likely be AF. The few older lenses wider than 18mm tend to be collectors items and not cheap.

The one exception is the Zenitar 16 fisheye, which if you don't mind doing PP to correct the perspective might be worth a look.

05-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cheapest wide angle option I know of is the DA 16-45, but that will run you approximately 300 (used).

The good news is an excellent portrait lens can be found for about 50 dollars - the K 55 f1.8.