Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 05:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
SMC PENTAX-FA 50mm 1:2.8 Macro

Hi

My wife has been trying for years to cure me of this LBA curse without great success. Frequent visitors to this forum may recall in one of the threads where Mr. Rupert confesses that Mrs. Rupert has been attempting to re-program him for some 40 years, if I recall correctly. It wasn't said whether she succeeded or not, but in my case my wife gave up and handed the job to my 28 year old niece; A sweet little thing she is however her angelic face belies her superb
exorcising skills.

To cut a long story short, I had just come off a recent LBA detox course when one day I walked past this pawn shop and felt this twitch in the corner of my left eye. Now, most people know that the human eye has extremely accurate peripheral vision capabilities and as I turned around to look at the window display I immediately recognised one of those rare PENTAX lenses (see picture below) I had heard of but had never seen one.

Suddenly Two voices inside my head became apparent.

"Walk on you don't need this lens"

"Just go inside and have a look, no need to buy just find out what the price is"

"Don't you dare go in that shop"

But before I knew what was going on I was inside.

"Just ask how much it is"

"Price is of no interest, just exit this shop now"

Howmuchisit ? I heard myself saying

"Onehundredfifty !" was the answer

"Fair go, you are having a lend of me. This is an old lens from the days of film cameras, we are in the digital age. Nobody wants those lenses anymore, they don't work properly on digital cameras".

"Liar!"

"Look its like new" he said and I counter, ye it'll still look like new in another 5 years from now in your window because nobody wants these lenses anymore

Suddenly he says: "Make me an offer"

"Forty, I give you forty"

"Sixty" he says

"Fifty"

"O.K." he says, "fifty"

Hooly Dooly, now what!

I find myself reaching into my pocket and pull out a fifty note. Deal done and I am out of the shop like a flash. Even forgot to ask for a receipt and now nobody is going to believe me that I only paid $50.00 for it.

I have got the lens home unseen but I do not think it will remain undetected for long because it looks just too different from all the other lenses I own and sooner or later I will have to face the music. I do not fear my wife, but my niece is another story. If you guys don't hear from me here in this forum any more... don't send flowers, make a donation to your favorite charity.

This lens truly looks like it has never been used. Does anyone know this lens? I only know it is supposed to be really good glass. I have searched the internet but can't find anything much. Any of you know anything about this lens?

Greetings from sunny Melbourne (with some very dark clouds coming up over the horizon)

Last edited by Schraubstock; 07-24-2011 at 11:41 PM.
05-19-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Great lens, I have one myself. Definitely one of the sharpest Pentax lenses that I have used, period. Also great IQ all the way around: bokeh, flare resistance...I think you have made the right choice for only 50 bucks. However, I pretty much only use it when I need macro though, because I have other normal/short tele lenses that are smaller and faster aperture.

Here is one of my favorites from the lens, taken a couple years ago.

05-19-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

My wife has been trying for years to cure me of this LBA curse without great success. Frequent visitors to this forum may recall in one of the threads where Mr. Rupert confesses that Mrs. Rupert has been attempting to re-program him for some 40 years, if I recall correctly. It wasn't said whether she succeeded or not, but in my case my wife gave up and handed the job to my 28 year old niece; A sweet little thing she is however her angelic face belies her superb
exorcising skills.

To cut a long story short, I had just come off a recent LBA detox course when one day I walked past this pawn shop and felt this twitch in the corner of my left eye. Now, most people know that the human eye has extremely accurate peripheral vision capabilities and as I turned around to look at the window display I immediately recognised one of those rare PENTAX lenses (see picture below) I had heard of but had never seen one.

Suddenly Two voices inside my head became apparent.

"Walk on you don't need this lens"

"Just go inside and have a look, no need to buy just find out what the price is"

"Don't you dare go in that shop"

But before I knew what was going on I was inside.

"Just ask how much it is"

"Price is of no interest, just exit this shop now"

Howmuchisit ? I heard myself saying

"Onehundredfifty !" was the answer

"Fair go, you are having a lend of me. This is an old lens from the days of film cameras, we are in the digital age. Nobody wants those lenses anymore, they don't work properly on digital cameras".

"Liar!"

"Look its like new" he said and I counter, ye it'll still look like new in another 5 years from now in your window because nobody wants these lenses anymore

Suddenly he says: "Make me an offer"

"Forty, I give you forty"

"Sixty" he says

"Fifty"

"O.K." he says, "fifty"

Hooly Dooly, now what!

I find myself reaching into my pocket and pull out a fifty note. Deal done and I am out of the shop like a flash. Even forgot to ask for a receipt and now nobody is going to believe me that I only paid $50.00 for it.

I have got the lens home unseen but I do not think it will remain undetected for long because it looks just too different from all the other lenses I own and sooner or later I will have to face the music. I do not fear my wife, but my niece is another story. If you guys don't hear from me here in this forum any more... don't send flowers, make a donation to your favorite charity.

This lens truly looks like it has never been used. Does anyone know this lens? I only know it is supposed to be really good glass. I have searched the internet but can't find anything much. Any of you know anything about this lens?

Greetings from sunny Melbourne (with some very dark clouds coming up over the horizon)
OMG. This is one of the sharpest Macro 50s in the market period. One in this condition will fetch $350+ in the auction site.

Very nice finding. An LBA like that is very healthy. On your defense, this lens is worth 7 times and one day if you sell it (notice I said "IF"), you will recoup your money 10 times fold.

Enjoy your new toy.
05-19-2011, 06:45 AM   #4

Sunny but cold! If you get into too much trouble and you have to let it go, let me know i will be willing to help you out. You can always turn to the forum for help and support.

05-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'll offer you $80 for it...
05-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good story, nicely told.

For $50 this lens is a must buy--if for no other reason to get it out of the lost-in-limbo-never-to-be-used-again pile, and put it back in circulation.

More than many--the FA 50 f/2.8 deserves to be used. It is a fine lens, not sexy to most--but optically a masterpiece.

-W
05-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I'll offer you $80 for it...
can I hear $30?
05-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's probably plagued with fungus. I will take that off your hands for $40.

05-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter

You just tell your wife this is a much safer investment than stock, even better than gold. You got it for 10-20% of its real value and it will only increase in value. However, unlike gold, it is a bad idea to put it in a safe, because it could get fungus, the best thing for it is to be used as often as possible. Would you ever get in serious financial trouble, you can sell it... She should be greatfull that she is married to such a financial genious. Considering current economy, you better sell any stock you have and buy more lenses.

This is one of the best lenses Pentax ever made.
05-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll be the "crazy" one and offer you 100AUD!

Seriously, that must one of the best deals on any Pentax lens I've heard of! And that it's the louded FA50/2.8! Congrats, what else to say
05-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Had one I got for $80 on Craigslist, sold it for $350 to a gent on this board.
05-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll give you $25 for a 50% share in it, she can't get upset on $25 bucks.

Nice score, the few pawn shops I go to always have absolute rubbish they demand a premium for and never pentax.
05-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wjt Quote
I'll give you $25 for a 50% share in it, she can't get upset on $25 bucks.
really? this guy will give you $50 for the whole thing.
05-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jeez, I had no idea this forum is populated with so many charitable and caring members and the generosity of some of you really grabs me, I am truly touched.
I'll consider all offers but don't call me, I'll call you. O.K.?

Haven't had a chance yet to try this lens in the wild but I took a shot of my book shelf.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 07-24-2011 at 11:41 PM.
05-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
really? this guy will give you $50 for the whole thing.

No thanks, he looks shifty.