Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Yashica m42 lens - Any good?

Hi, I have 3 Yashinon m42 lense from ebay. Want to get some input from you guys. Are they worthy to keep?

The 3 lenses are
1. Yashinon DS-M 50mm F1.7
2. Yashinon 28mm F2.8
3. Yashinon 135mm F2.8

To me the 50mm F1.7 and 135mm F2.8 are very impressive, sharper than Takumar but may not as saturated as Takumar. I sold my 3 corresponding Takumar lenses already so I can't directly compare them.

Comments are very welcome!

05-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benhai Quote
Hi, I have 3 Yashinon m42 lense from ebay. Want to get some input from you guys. Are they worthy to keep?

The 3 lenses are
1. Yashinon DS-M 50mm F1.7
2. Yashinon 28mm F2.8
3. Yashinon 135mm F2.8

To me the 50mm F1.7 and 135mm F2.8 are very impressive, sharper than Takumar but may not as saturated as Takumar. I sold my 3 corresponding Takumar lenses already so I can't directly compare them.

Comments are very welcome!
I wouldn't have sold the Takumars.
That said, the Yashinons are likely to be quite capable, a bit different in terms of bokeh, colours, etc from the Takumars, but good lenses nonetheless. That's one of the big draws of M42, there are many capable lenses with slight differences that make certain lenses suit particular photographers or shots. Maybe the Yashinons will really connect with you. Try them and see, they're definitely worth a roll of film and an afternoon's shooting!
05-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
I wouldn't have sold the Takumars.
That said, the Yashinons are likely to be quite capable, a bit different in terms of bokeh, colours, etc from the Takumars, but good lenses nonetheless. That's one of the big draws of M42, there are many capable lenses with slight differences that make certain lenses suit particular photographers or shots. Maybe the Yashinons will really connect with you. Try them and see, they're definitely worth a roll of film and an afternoon's shooting!
Yes Takumars are easier to use then the Yashinnons on DSLR.

Let's see how much I can enjoy them.
05-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, the Takumars you sold are good.
Yes, the Yashinons you kept are good.
Yes, many different lenses are good.
Yes, many good lenses are different.
For fun, find and exploit differences.

I have a zillion lenses, and I have noticed that very few can 'replace' others of similar specs (focal length, aperture, etc). So of my 40 Fifty's, ten are 50-55mm in f/1.7-1.8. None of them renders quite like any others. Four are f/1.4's, and even the SuperTak and FA50 (with nearly identical optics) are very different to use. I think a rule of lenses should be: get rid of one if you don't *like* it, not if something else *replaces* it.

05-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yes, the Takumars you sold are good.
Yes, the Yashinons you kept are good.
Yes, many different lenses are good.
Yes, many good lenses are different.
For fun, find and exploit differences.

I have a zillion lenses, and I have noticed that very few can 'replace' others of similar specs (focal length, aperture, etc). So of my 40 Fifty's, ten are 50-55mm in f/1.7-1.8. None of them renders quite like any others. Four are f/1.4's, and even the SuperTak and FA50 (with nearly identical optics) are very different to use. I think a rule of lenses should be: get rid of one if you don't *like* it, not if something else *replaces* it.
Wooh! you must be something. I can't imaging how you manage them. I play around with m42 lenses just because I don't want to spend money on modern FA primes. Up to now I may have to get some FA primes. We sometimes act like collectors rather then photographer.
05-20-2011, 05:55 AM   #6

I have the yashica 50 1.9 and its really sharp to me and am currently looking for other yashica lenses (m42 mount)
05-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I had a Yashica 50 1.7 long time ago and it was a very good performer. Now a days you can find an M42 Gem very cheap. Try them out and let us know your impressions.
Thanks in advance,

05-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benhai Quote
Wooh! you must be something. I can't imaging how you manage them.
Manage?!?!? Sometimes it seems like they manage ME. But I can break this down a bit. About 2/3 of my lenses (and 3/4 of my Fifty's) are PK-able camera lenses; the rest are enlarger or projector or medium format lenses that need extension (tubes or bellows) to use, or auxiliary lenses, or collectible-only.

And too much of my accumulation spends too much time unused, which is why I started my lens-of-the-day strategy. That doesn't work in the boring place I mostly reside, but is a whiz-bang when traveling. Use only (or mostly, depending on need) one lens for a day or three, see how it performs, how it 'tastes' different than others.

QuoteQuote:
I play around with m42 lenses just because I don't want to spend money on modern FA primes. Up to now I may have to get some FA primes. We sometimes act like collectors rather then photographer.
Notice that I referred to my accumulation, not a collection. There's no way I can ever collect the entire set of ANYTHING photographic. So I trend toward M42's just for the bang-per-buck. And if I can get great lenses cheap in other mounts that I can adapt, cowabunga! So I chop Yashica C/Y's and Nikon AI's and Olympus OM's and various Exakta-mounts. (Exakta: I chop the adapter, not the lens.) With careful shopping and chopping, I can accumulate great glass for a pittance. And Yashica's are some of the best. I just wish I could get more, cheap.