Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
DA 15mm: Anyone here shoot interior residential architecture?

I have read that 15mm (24mm equivalent) is the sweet spot for interiors from Scott Hargis and others. I am not shooting real estate photo's, but my own architect portfolio shots, so I don't want to get them too wide so they look our of proportion but capture the space, but I also run into smaller spaces like bathrooms that might be too tight at 15mm. The small spaces is what is creating my dilemma. I also like shooting wide for landscapes as well.

I have always thought I would get the Sigma 10-20mm, but I would love it if I could get away with the da 15mm because I know I will hardly ever want to carry that Sigma around for anything else. I am a sucker for a small and light kit and the 15mm controls my mind thread. I know, get both! Well, not in the budget.

Can I get away with 15mm for interiors, or do I need to suck it up and get the Sigma?

I use Photoshop to correct tilt, etc.

05-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
I have read that 15mm (24mm equivalent) is the sweet spot for interiors from Scott Hargis and others. I am not shooting real estate photo's, but my own architect portfolio shots, so I don't want to get them too wide so they look our of proportion but capture the space, but I also run into smaller spaces like bathrooms that might be too tight at 15mm. The small spaces is what is creating my dilemma. I also like shooting wide for landscapes as well.

I have always thought I would get the Sigma 10-20mm, but I would love it if I could get away with the da 15mm because I know I will hardly ever want to carry that Sigma around for anything else. I am a sucker for a small and light kit and the 15mm controls my mind thread. I know, get both! Well, not in the budget.

Can I get away with 15mm for interiors, or do I need to suck it up and get the Sigma?

I use Photoshop to correct tilt, etc.
I think you could get away with it but I guess there may be a few instances where you need to stitch.
05-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm a huge fan of the DA15 and of primes in general, but for the use you describe I think a UWA zoom is the way to go, and the 10-20 range sounds about right. I think there will be too many times that the 15 wont be wide enough.
05-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I'm a huge fan of the DA15 and of primes in general, but for the use you describe I think a UWA zoom is the way to go, and the 10-20 range sounds about right. I think there will be too many times that the 15 wont be wide enough.
+1 or consider the Pentax 12-24.

05-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I do shoot quick interiors for a RE company in my area. Here is one using the 15. I find it fine in all areas except bathrooms.

05-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vario Quote
I find it fine in all areas except bathrooms.
Might want the 12-24 or sigma 10-20 if you need to do extensive interiors for this very reason.

15 is super convenient due to size, but zooming indoors is sometimes more than just a luxury.
05-19-2011, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

The DA 15 mm, and the DA 21 mm as well, are among the finest lenses for interiour shoting! I use them all the time so look here what I have done with : PHOTOEIL and here : PHOTOEIL
Just a very few pictures in these books are shot with the DA 35 mm and the FA 50 mm, both very good premes too, but the DA 15 mm is a real gem...
BTW, these lenses are the reason why I stick with Pentax.
05-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
The DA 15 mm, and the DA 21 mm as well, are among the finest lenses for interiour shoting! I use them all the time so look here what I have done with : PHOTOEIL and here : PHOTOEIL
Just a very few pictures in these books are shot with the DA 35 mm and the FA 50 mm, both very good premes too, but the DA 15 mm is a real gem...
thanks for sharing, really beautiful images!

05-20-2011, 06:09 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Phillipe, fantastic work, thanks for sharing. This is what I will be shooting. Are you saying the 15mm is as wide as you go? If so, do ever find yourself wishing you could go wider and just make due, or are you satisfied at 15mm?
05-20-2011, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't do interiors but one of the big influences on my buying the DA 15 was the shots of Yale Univ. posted in the Single in January challenge by Woof.
woof's Album: Single in January - PentaxForums.com

This, along with the "DA 15 controls my mind" thread was what steered me to the 15 rather than the DA 12-24. This isn't going to help your decision but while trying to make up my mind, I came across many a post on the 12-24 where interior shooters claimed it was the finest lens for architecture available from anybody. I made my decision based on my primary use as landscape shots as I backpack, hike, kayak most of the time and the small and light Limited fit the bill. From what I have seen posted by others though, the DA 15 is pretty darn sweet inside too.
05-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #11

Original Poster
I really do like the Pentax 12-24mm and the pics I've seen from it, but I can't say it looks $200 plus better than the Sigma 10-20mm. I am not a pixel peeper, so they both look pretty good for my skill level and use. And they are both about the same size (big in my eyes). For the 12-24mm money, I might be pushed to the Sigma 8-16mm.
05-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks philippe and reeftool. I am considering adding the DA 15mm, I already have the Sigma 10-20mm and it is a very good performer. However, the size, and sharpness are very tempting.
05-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I don't do interiors but one of the big influences on my buying the DA 15 was the shots of Yale Univ. posted in the Single in January challenge by Woof.
woof's Album: Single in January - PentaxForums.com

This, along with the "DA 15 controls my mind" thread was what steered me to the 15 rather than the DA 12-24. This isn't going to help your decision but while trying to make up my mind, I came across many a post on the 12-24 where interior shooters claimed it was the finest lens for architecture available from anybody. I made my decision based on my primary use as landscape shots as I backpack, hike, kayak most of the time and the small and light Limited fit the bill. From what I have seen posted by others though, the DA 15 is pretty darn sweet inside too.
reeftool, I am really gratified to find that my architecture photos helped you with this decision. I dare say you will not regret it.

chiane, I've shot some pretty tight spaces with 15mm and 16mm. For me, architecture is about detail, not wide and sweeping vistas. It is doable. I think you will find the Sigma will distort considerably at 10mm. I am testing the 12-24mm and it appears to be a bit better, but there is some distortion up to about 15mm. I've seen tests that say the Sigma straightens out in that range too. Your idea about the 8-16mm is interesting, especially if it straightens out considerably at around 12mm.

Overall for tight spaces I might be a little more inclined to do the 12-24mm, but I certainly see the dilemma. But I also see that all of your choices are viable and will not really get in the way of obtaining good photos. Make the decision, be happy for it and set out to learn the lens and what you can do with it.

You'll be fine!

On the DA15mm reeftool is correct about the size/handling. When I am shooting architecture I like to travel light with only the essentials and be a little less obtrusive. I tend to be in public places and don't like attention for a wide array of reasons. The DA 15mm is just a beauty in this way. I also like to to shoot landscape like reeftool and it's an ideal wide for landscape and again travels well in this use. The IQ is excellent.

So as for me I will shoot the DA 15mm everywhere I can and only resort to the 12-24mm when my back is (literally) against the wall. I'll be honest - I did not get the 12-24mm for the wide side. I got it for the 20-24mm side. I just love my F28mm f/2.8 and wanted four steps back...

woof!

Last edited by woof; 05-20-2011 at 11:37 AM.
05-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I shoot a lot of RE interiors - all with the 10-20. Can't beat it - it can even do tiny walk-in toilets without room to turn around.
05-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chiane Quote
Phillipe, fantastic work, thanks for sharing. This is what I will be shooting. Are you saying the 15mm is as wide as you go? If so, do ever find yourself wishing you could go wider and just make due, or are you satisfied at 15mm?
Yes, to me the 15 mm is pretty much close to what the (my) eye sees under normal circumstances when observing a building/room. The angle of view is more 'natural' than wider lenses. That is why the 15 mm is more 'natural', in angle and perspective. The (normal-) human eye sees in an angle of about 105, but that's for good, young and healthy eyes and these are not so common...
So, the about 80 of the 15 mm (on APS-C) is close to the capabilities of the common eye. Architecture and interiors are designed to be observed by the average human not a super wide angel lens...

Last edited by philippe; 05-21-2011 at 05:42 AM.