Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #1

35/2 Purple fringing

Is this amount of PF usual for an FA 35/2 (K10D)?

Just wondering...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-05-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow-pretty pronounced, I haven't noticed anything like that with that lens on my *ist d. Gonna have to inspect some shots I took......
11-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I do sometimes get a fair bit of PF on white objects in very high-contrast scenes... but not more than most lenses. If I try to avoid blown highlights it isn't really an issue (and I usually try to avoid blown highlights anyway ). Basically I don't think it's a problem that's specific to this lens.
11-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you shooting wide open?

11-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
These were at 2.0 or 2.8, I think.
11-05-2007, 06:54 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Olrocker Quote
These were at 2.0 or 2.8, I think.
If I can quote Klaus Schroiff... "Typical for many ultra-large aperture lenses you can experience some purple fringing in extreme contrast conditions at wide-open aperture."

It isn't pretty and can be a P.I.T.A. to correct, but it's completely normal behaviour when shooting wide-ope or nearly wide-open on a lens like this. Unfortunately few lenses are perfect
11-05-2007, 10:08 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much were those cropped? I had never noticed purple fringing with this lens before, probably because I mostly use it indoors. However, while processing a picture the other day I saw some PF while zoomed in. It surprised me. My Promaster (Tamron) 70-300 is the master of PF, so I'm used to it. The picture was wide open (f2.0) and I couldn't see the fringing at normal, full screen viewing.
11-06-2007, 05:26 AM   #8

Original Poster
These are 10 mp shots, 100% crops from the center. I guess it surprised me too, because I also had mainly used it indoors before and had not noticed any PF to speak of.

11-06-2007, 06:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Purple fringing is really sensor bloom. This is the case in your examples. The DR was just to much for the sensor to handle. It has nothing to do with the lens. CR is associated with a lens where you get red/cyan or blue/green color cast along high contrast edges. I've never noticed any CA from my FA35.
11-06-2007, 07:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Purple fringing is really sensor bloom. This is the case in your examples. The DR was just to much for the sensor to handle. It has nothing to do with the lens.
I beg to differ. Certain lenses (mostly zooms, but also some prime lenses with many elements) are much more likely to cause purple fringing (call it sensor bloom if you prefer) than others. Lenses with a very contrasty rendering are also more sensitive to this problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
CR is associated with a lens where you get red/cyan or blue/green color cast along high contrast edges.
I think nobody here was talking about chromatic aberrations (I guess this is what "CR" means), which is indeed a different problem.

Cheers!
11-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #11

Original Poster
Many thanks for all the responses. My first thought was the lens might be defective, but it only does it in very high contrast situations. I'll just need to correct it in PP when it occurs.

Here's a crop of an outdoor shot with less contrast
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
11-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
I beg to differ. Certain lenses (mostly zooms, but also some prime lenses with many elements) are much more likely to cause purple fringing (call it sensor bloom if you prefer) than others. Lenses with a very contrasty rendering are also more sensitive to this problem.

I think nobody here was talking about chromatic aberrations (I guess this is what "CR" means), which is indeed a different problem.

Cheers!
OK I stand corrected. From Wikipedia lots of potential reasons.

Purple fringing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other explanations

Purple fringing is usually attributed to chromatic aberration, although it is not clear that all purple fringing can be explained this way. Other attributed causes of purple fringing include:
  • Sensor effects:
    • Chromatic aberration in each CCD cell (microlenses)
    • Digital noise in dark areas
    • Image processing and interpolation artifacts (almost all CCDs require considerable processing)
    • Stray ultraviolet light
    • Stray infrared light
    • Image bloom from overexposure
    • Leaks between cells of the CCD