Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2011, 03:49 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
No, from my personal experience, and for my style of photography, I didn't find it necessary at all; Frogfish above on the other hand, says you definitely need it. We're both offering our opinions and trying to give you as much information to make an informed decision, but at the end of the day, it's your gear, your vacation and your choice as to what to bring or not. I actually only took the 50/1.7 because it was small and I thought it wouldn't take up too much space if I never used it. Now, a couple of years on, I know myself and my photography, a lot better, and I would not hesitate to ditch it. Don't forget, you're also planning to have a flash too.

And also, a tripod isn't the only way of supporting your camera steadily. I've gotten sharp shots at shutter speeds of ~1/10th just by resting both my elbows on something and creating a steady shooting platform, or bracing my hands and arms against something solid, and you can always rest your camera on a bench, fence, table, etc.
You make a very valid point there in that if you know your photography then you'd know if you need to take a low-light lense or not. I don't know the OP and an educated guess is that you don't either. So we can only give the best advice that we can.

Therefore in these conditions that the OP has maybe not encountered before (ambient light consisting of 15W lightbulbs - to save electricity - typical of any old neighbourhood, or water-town or historical building or village or mountainside or the Great Wall in the evening etc.) and not everyone can shoot hand-held at 1/10 (even with support) so do you want to take that chance on the holiday of a lifetime, when a small fast fifty will fit in any empty space going ? If he takes it and doesn't use it - no problem, it's not a weight or space issue. However if he suddenly finds he needs it and didn't bring it ........

Having lived here for 15 years, and first started visiting 25 years ago for my wedding ceremony, I can attest to the fact that low light lenses are invaluable, light in the big cities is compromised anyway ...... but you may be right and the OP may not encounter those conditions, or he may find another way to overcome them. However they do exist and will frequently be found, so better safe than sorry would be my best advice ..... and stash that 50/ 55 - 1.4, 1.7, 1.8 in the suitcase instead of an extra bottle of after-shave (but don't forget extra deodorant) !

05-25-2011, 03:51 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I was in Shanghai only some 4 weeks ago and I did take a tripod but in the end did not use it once. The K5, as I quickly found out, performs exceptionally well at high ISO making it well possible to shoot free hand in well lit night scenes.

Check out the pics below, all hand held. First and second shot was taken during blue hour.

Greetings
K5 is definitely stellar at high ISO. Unfortunately, I don't have an K5 so I will have to deal with my K20D which can only produce acceptable images at ISO800. That's why I will need my fast 50/f1.4 as I don't like to carry a tripod along with me.

Many thanks for sharing your experience and captures.
05-25-2011, 04:00 AM   #48

Photos: Gallery
Nice phots Schraubstock
05-25-2011, 04:22 AM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
K5 is definitely stellar at high ISO. Unfortunately, I don't have an K5 so I will have to deal with my K20D which can only produce acceptable images at ISO800. That's why I will need my fast 50/f1.4 as I don't like to carry a tripod along with me.

Many thanks for sharing your experience and captures.
Do forgive me, I don't know what made me think you had a K5. Oh well, perhaps it might be something to contemplate for the future. And if the price of the K5 comes down to an acceptable level for you, you may not even have to sell your wife and children into slavery to obtain one. (Spoken in jest).

Greetings

05-25-2011, 06:38 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been thinking about this:
QuoteOriginally posted by Francis Quote
the biggest problem at any interesting site is not the light but the queue of people posing for photos right in front of the object / scene of your desire !
It's undeniably true and I've resolved not to waste much time or effort trying to get trophy landmark shots which can be a serious exercise in frustration. If I can't get a shot of the Temple of Heaven with the DA 15mm uncluttered by fellow tourists, I'll buy a postcard ;~).
05-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #51
Veteran Member

As people said previously, drop the primes unless you're carrying two bodies AND have one / two primes that you're comfortable to use for alot of things. Then I again I notice that... most of your lineup is primes

I'm not sure if I posted in your last thread but I had the Sigma 10-20 / DA 40 combo in my last trip and it works wonderfully.

If I'm in your shoes I'd probably go
K20D + Sigma 10-20 (or if you're feeling adventurous and will probably go to shanghai agai, DA 10-17!)
K10D + DA 40 / FA 50 + DA 35

+ M200/4 for good measure. You'll take it out like probably three times at most during the trip, but at those three times it will be indispensable.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 05-25-2011 at 07:31 AM.
05-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I've been thinking about this:

It's undeniably true and I've resolved not to waste much time or effort trying to get trophy landmark shots which can be a serious exercise in frustration. If I can't get a shot of the Temple of Heaven with the DA 15mm uncluttered by fellow tourists, I'll buy a postcard ;~).
I think you were quoting me there Dadi

There is another way I use in the evenings sometime in places where the crowd is there but not too overwhelming - long exposure times. The crowds fade away - if you're unlucky you may still see the 'ghosts' but it's much better.

This were (I believe) 30 second exposures in Xin Tian Di - a place that all tourists are taken to see the restored Shikumen (Stone Lintel) houses. A few people walked past in each of these shots.

05-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

Good suggestion and beautiful photos. Kevin!

05-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #54

Almost a cartoon quality to those photos Kevin.
05-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I think you were quoting me there Dadi

There is another way I use in the evenings sometime in places where the crowd is there but not too overwhelming - long exposure times. The crowds fade away - if you're unlucky you may still see the 'ghosts' but it's much better.

This were (I believe) 30 second exposures in Xin Tian Di - a place that all tourists are taken to see the restored Shikumen (Stone Lintel) houses. A few people walked past in each of these shots.

Great shots and advice, Kevin. I see you used a K5 which is well known for its dynamic range capabilities. Not sure if my K20D will be able to produce such image quality but I'll try and report back
05-26-2011, 04:15 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Great shots and advice, Kevin. I see you used a K5 which is well known for its dynamic range capabilities. Not sure if my K20D will be able to produce such image quality but I'll try and report back
Thanks !

Also to Dadi and Francis (yep - see what you mean) for your comments.

Those were taken with the K7. I don't think there's a huge DR difference between that and the K20d ?
05-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Thanks !

Also to Dadi and Francis (yep - see what you mean) for your comments.

Those were taken with the K7. I don't think there's a huge DR difference between that and the K20d ?
Well your EXIF shows they were taken with a K5
05-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Well your EXIF shows they were taken with a K5
Oops ! Sorry ! Getting mixed up with which camera I using on each shot now - I usually take both with me when I go on a shoot.