Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by McDunk Quote
Pentax SMC-FA 50/1,4 is pretty cheep here in sweden, Just asking if its worth to buy it for allround Amateur photograper?
IMHO, this is the cheapest lens of high quality that gives the amateur a lot of room to work with as far as creative DOF and composition goes. If I could only have one lens it would be the 50 1.4.

05-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[lang=sv]Just curious what the best allround lens I's,
For me the best all-around lens would be the only the lens that I take to travel: 1 lens + 1 body and no lens swapping.

In the last 2.5 years, I travelled a lot world-wide as well as locally with my K-7 and I tried several (1 lens+ 1 body) combinations. Overall the best all-around lens is not one but two options, depending whether I want to travel with a zoom lens or a prime lens. IMO the best zoom lens is the 18-250m with an excellent IQ in its own class and a huge focal length range. My prefered prime is the FA31mm, a fast lens (f1.8) with outstanding IQ, and a focal length ideal for many shootings (and a superb IQ, didn't I mention).

Best all-around zoom lens: Pentax DA18-250mm

Best all-around prime: Pentax FA31mm f1.8

I hope that the input will assist...

Last edited by hcc; 05-20-2011 at 05:51 PM.
05-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Marc is absolutely right: there is no best lens.
hcc is quite right: the best all-around is the 18-250.
To avoid changing lenses, get a superzoom P&S.
To best exploit a (d)SLR, get whatever lenses work.
And that's why I'm on a lens-of-the-day schedule.
05-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

As others have said there is no right answer to this question as it will depend on the individual user. I think my F 28mm is a great all around lens but I definitely cannot use it for everything.

Some will say a zoom that covers a big focal length such as the DA 18-250 since you can get wide shots and zoom in on a bird far away with only one lens.

Others will say a smaller zoom such as the DA 17-70 because the IQ will be better than a super-zoom but you still get the convenience of very useful focal lengths.

Even others will say a 50mm prime such as the FA 50 or F 50.

I personally would prefer a zoom, either the DA 18-135 or something similar because I tend to shoot very sporadic scenes and do not have the time (most of the time) to switch between 3-4 lenses. But I do understand that primes will normally give you much better IQ but not the convenience of a zoom.

05-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #20
Pentaxian

EDIT; been checking some stuff out and the 35mm Lens seams really really awesome Right now it looks like fast buy
Sounds great!
Don't forget to share some first pics if you decide to get one.
05-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #21
Pentaxian

The best "all round" lens is going to be something in around what is the standard lens for the format.
For APC-C, that lens will be in the 28-35mm range, or a zoom that encompasses that range.
05-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
EDIT; been checking some stuff out and the 35mm Lens seams really really awesome Right now it looks like fast buy
Get the Tamron SP 17-50/2.8 and then, when you get experienced using it, you can look at adding other lenses. Until then, with the Tamron you'll get an excellent replacement of your kit lens.
05-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #23
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For pentax lenses the 35Ltd for a great general purpose prime though I would be tempted to say without having used it the 18-135 would be the go.

I like canons 24-70 2.8, Pentax I would love a DA* in that range.

05-21-2011, 01:57 AM   #24

Original Poster
Thanks for all the answers guys ^^ Im gonna go for the 35mm To beginn with. Its cheap and I can start using that and get another later

P.S I allready have Zoom lens 55-300 ^^ That I usualy dont use. So zooming lenses aint that important
05-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #25
Pentaxian

The 35 will take very slightly better pictures than the 18-55 does a 35mm, but again, until you post pictures to show the specific problems you are having with the 18-55, there is no reason to expect the lens is the limiting factor there. Since you're new at this, it could easily be something *you* could be doing differently that would make the bigger difference.

And while the 35 will take slightly better pictures than the 18-55 at 35mm, the 35 can't take any pictures at all at 18mm or 55mm or anywhere else between there, except at 35mm. So you'll still be wanting to use your 18-55. but the main advantage of the 35 over the 18-55 isn't the fact that the pictures will be slightly better; it's that it can go to f/2.4 whereas the 18-55 can only go to f/4 or f/4.5 at that focal length. If you don't understand what that means, I'd recommend visiting a libraryor bookstore to get a book on photography that explains the basics - and that might help in figuring out why you've been unhappy with the pictures you've taken with the 18-55, which is already a very good lens.
05-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

For me it's the Tamron 28-75.
05-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #27
Site Supporter

35mm for me.
The DA35/2.4 is the best deal in that respect.
Otherwise, it will be the FA35

The 31ltd does have a slightly wider perspective (to me more useful), though its pricier.
05-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Hello Dear Pentaxians.

Just curious what the best allround lens I's, Seen alot of threads about diffrent lenses but I would like the know what the best for allround is, Pentax 85mm or the FA 50 or what so ever.

Im currently using a K-x with the kit lens and would like to uppgrade to sometinng with better image quality.
I agree, there is no "best all round lens" but I think, like some others, there is a best lens for everyday use...

I have always liked the 18-55 Kit Lens as well as the 35-70 Macro zoom lens for their versatility, if I want to use a zoom I tend to reach for one of these two. IMAO, the 50mm, though most are very good to excellent, is just touch too long, possibly crowding you in tight places and the 28mm might start giving a little distortion on closer up shots. If I had to pick one, it certainly would be a 35mm on cropped dSLR sensor. I think the 35mm allows you enough room in most situations as well as greater DOF for HyperFocusing and it's so compact that it's cute...

(Actually, it all comes down to comfort level and personal preference, you'll probably give them all a try, eventually)
05-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
I agree, there is no "best all round lens" but I think, like some others, there is a best lens for everyday use...
<...>
(Actually, it all comes down to comfort level and personal preference, you'll probably give them all a try, eventually)
And so we can all start naming our favorite lenses. I'll agree with you on the DA18-55 and F35-70M as being very versatile short zooms. I won't argue with those who say that other short zooms are better than the DA18-55. But it's all about what we have and what we like.

My all-around daytime lens is the DA18-250; all others are specialty items. My favorite portrait lens is an old M42 Sears-Tokina 55-135/4. My favorite low-light lenses are a PK-M Vivitar-Komine 24/2, the FA50/1.4, and a modded Nikkor 85/2. I could list more but that would be tedious.

The point of an interchangeable-lens camera (ILC) is to CHANGE LENSES!! If lens-changing is bothersome, then seriously, get a good superzoom P&S -- no worries about compatibility or dust. Yes, ILC's *can* be used artistically and professionally with just a single lens. Noted work has been shot with an Argus C3 (THE BRICK!) with the standard 50mm Cintar, without swapping for the Enna or Steinheil wide and tele lenses. At least one wedding pro is known for using just a Kx, the DA18-55, and a potato-masher flash. Whatever works, eh?

The best lens is the lens you use. The worst lens is the lens you DON'T use.
05-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
IMHO, this is the cheapest lens of high quality that gives the amateur a lot of room to work with as far as creative DOF and composition goes. If I could only have one lens it would be the 50 1.4.
I just wish it was sharper at f1.4...