Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #1

Best All-around Lens?

Hello Dear Pentaxians.

Just curious what the best allround lens I's, Seen alot of threads about diffrent lenses but I would like the know what the best for allround is, Pentax 85mm or the FA 50 or what so ever.

Im currently using a K-x with the kit lens and would like to uppgrade to sometinng with better image quality.

05-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This is a very tricky/interesting questions and the answer depends on many factors.

1. Shooting style
2. Zoom/Primes preference
3. Pourpose (portrait/landscape/interiors/sports)
4. Usability (Need sharp photos or jack of all trades)
5. Budget
1XXX etc

My favorite lens is the FA 35mm F/2. I use it for indoors/outdoors and portraits and I take it everywhere I go (trips, business trips, etc). However, this lens does not fit all my needs (wider angle pictures, sports, reach (150mm and up), ETC)

This is my opinion and what I can afford for now.
05-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
jjdgti is right, the best lense is the one that fits your needs.

The lense that fits perfectly (or almost) is the DA(L) 35mm f2.4 usually called "Plastic Wonder".

i have the A50mm f1.7 which is very nice, but a bit to long for everyday shoots.
05-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's no such thing as a best all-round lens, because every lens in the world is a compromise, and everyone's needs are different in terms of what they are willing compromise. Whatever 85 you have in mind might be a great 85mm lens,but it's a terrible 35mm lens. The FA50 is a pretty average 50mm lens by most accounts - which isn't to say it's bad, but practically all 50's are very good - but also, a terrible 24mm lens and a terrible 135mm lens. To some, the best all-round lens is one with the largest zoom range. To others, it's a zoom with similar range to the 18-55 but a faster maximum aperture. To others, it's the "normal" prime lens with the best IQ.

So you'll have to be a lot more specific about your needs. FWIW, though, differences in IQ between lenses seldom matter as much as photographic technique. It might help if you posted some images you were unhappy with; it may well turn out that a difference lens wouldn't help nearly as much as being sure to use appropriate ISO, aperture, and shutter speeds for the situation.

05-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by McDunk Quote
Hello Dear Pentaxians.

Just curious what the best allround lens I's, Seen alot of threads about diffrent lenses but I would like the know what the best for allround is, Pentax 85mm or the FA 50 or what so ever.

Im currently using a K-x with the kit lens and would like to uppgrade to sometinng with better image quality.
I second the DA(L) 35mm f2.4
Its a prime lens(excellent quality) and is quite versatile.

Other than that, you'll get to get more specific about your needs.
Anyways, the idea of an all around lens can be quite a challenge to live-up too.
There are several all in one zooms out there(Tamron & Sigma), but all have their fair share of shortcomings and compromises too. So it's definitely not a black in white issue as far as I can see.
05-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all the answers, Well, I like to take photos of everything, Just go out and take some not the proffesional who chooses to bring with, I take what I have and just go out and tryes to do my best.

I would like an lens with better Sharpness than my KIT lens

Imageshack - wwowowowow.jpg <-- Test image.
05-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the answers, Well, I like to take photos of everything, Just go out and take some not the proffesional who chooses to bring with, I take what I have and just go out and tryes to do my best.

I would like an lens with better Sharpness than my KIT lens

Imageshack - wwowowowow.jpg <-- Test image.
What kit lens do you have?

05-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #8

Original Poster
18-55 :P "originall kit lens"
05-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To start, anyone's opinion is going to be based on their own experience and the gear they own or have owned/used in the past. One lens that always surprised me with great looking photos was the kit lens of the film days, the F35-70 macro. The zoom broke on mine so now it's a 70mm macro. Before breaking, I had loads of incredibly sharp photos from that little gem. I have owned my 55/2 Tak for over 30 years. It's beat up, got a little fungus but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Are other 50-55's better? Maybe, but I haven't owned them. I have a fair amount of older glass and they're all very good at the tasks I keep them for. The M135/3.5 is very sharp and it gets a good amount of use. My cheap Sigma 70-300 does a wonderful job with close up/macro shots. I mostly use it on the water from my kayak and the long length is just perfect for water plants and dragonflies.
05-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Marc Sabatella that there is no best all around lens and it clearly does matter what your subject / interests are.

One way to go would be to replace the kit lens with the DA*16-50 f2.8. This is a seriously better lens for image quality and the length covers (just like the kit lens) a lot of subjects. As it is a constant aperture lens and at f2.8 much faster than the kit lens, it's a serious upgrade.
05-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #11

Original Poster
Well since im new to the Photo stage, Is there any lens thats not sooo exspensive? Since I cant afford the reallty exspensive ones :/
05-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well if you are just going to define the question under best generic/all-purpose lens I would give it to the new 18-135mm. Weather sealed, new motor type, solid zoom range - a good catch-all.

Of course, subjectively I would go with the 15mm. That is just me, haha.
05-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #13

Original Poster
EDIT : Okey Read the review and it seams tempting.

And . the
Pentax SMC-FA 50/1,4 is pretty cheep here in sweden, Just asking if its worth to buy it for allround Amateur photograper?
05-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Well since im new to the Photo stage, Is there any lens thats not sooo exspensive? Since I cant afford the reallty exspensive ones :/
The 35mm F2.4 is not an expensive lens, under $200 USD new - this would be an excellent all around first prime lens. A 50mm F1.4 does have a faster aperture, however 50mm is a little long for many situations.
05-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #15

Original Poster
EDIT; been checking some stuff out and the 35mm Lens seams really really awesome Right now it looks like fast buy

Last edited by McDunk; 05-20-2011 at 12:49 PM.