Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The kit lens performs remarkably well in good lighting conditions at f/8, even comparably (but not as brilliantly) as a DA/FA ltd lens at f/8.

*However*, how often are we shooting in favourable enough conditions (and want the DoF of f/8) to be satisfied with what the kit lens will produce? This is to me the determining factor of replacing the kit lens with a more expensive counterpart.

05-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Why is a kit lens not as sharp as an expensive lens?
because it is cheap compared to an expensive lens.
05-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Design features, materials and manufacturing tolerances.
05-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
but the higher priced lenses seem to get better pictures
The kit is designed and manufactured to give an "acceptable" level of excellence. The intent is to create frustration in the user for those situations where "acceptable" is simply not good enough. As a result, while the kit may deliver a score of say, 88 out of 100, the user will spend 10x the price to get a lens that scores 95 out of 100. Is the extra 7 points worth the money? Well, of course!

Steve

(...has some very revealing comparison shots between a $10 Helios-44M (Russian Zenit kit lens) and a FA 77/1.8 Limited...)

05-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
*However*, how often are we shooting in favourable enough conditions
I had to laugh at this. Shortly after I got my K10D with kit, I was at the Hearst Castle in California doing the tourist thing. Flash is prohibited and the castle is incredibly dimly lit, so I set the camera to auto-ISO and P mode and hoped for the best. Strangely enough, the results were pretty good.

I have been tempted several times to replace the kit with the DA*16-50, but the cost and QA issues for that lens always managed to intervene. As a result, the kit is always in the bag, but the FA 35/2 is always on the camera.

Steve
05-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I'd say that there are some real reasons for Why it just does not do as well as more expensive lenses. As said before, at right conditions, you can really have good results, but usually absolutely sharpness isn't there. Then it is when you want to have something better. It isn't always just about sharpness, contrast, rendering, color...well then it is an other story. But for normal and even more serious that that you can have good result with normal Kit lens(talking about al II or WR, pentax)
05-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #22
Site Supporter

If you think about it a little, I think you will realize that the question you asked provides it own answer.