Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Stick with the kit lens or go for the prime?
K100D kit 4959.76%
K100D body + DA 40/2.8 ltd 3340.24%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
KEH doesn't list a decent 40mm, but I was thinking that adding something like this 50mm f1.4 to your kit might not set you back that far.

Screw mounts are far less than manual lenses if you can find one.

Pretty much all OLDER Pentax primes are good glass, but some lenses are better than others.

11-09-2007, 05:52 AM   #17
Forum Member

According to my experience with the K10D and the kit lens, I would suggest that you remain with the kit lens. It is much more flexible than the 40mm prime. Besides that, the image quality is quite good.
For images check these links:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/14547-kit-lens...y-good-iq.html
Here notice a good flare resistance:
Sleme_071007-103006_J_R01.jpg photo - Janko Kernc photos at pbase.com
Of course it also has its limitations such as slow speed (only f/5.6 at the long end), vignetting at the short end, lower resolution in the extreme corners wide open. Surprisingly the chromatic aberrations are relatively small for such an inexpensive lens.
Hope that helped you a little.

Regards

Janko
11-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Hi,
I would go for the kit lens for all around general use, as it is relatively cheap and delivers pretty good results. I would then go for a 50MM F1.4 FA prime lens, as it is a wonderful lens for the money and will give you gobs of light for those available light shots, not to mention portraits, that are not shot too close. If you want a "standard" prime lens, the 35MM F2.0 FA is also an excellent choice and will give you one stop more light than the 40MM F2.8 lens. Anyway, good luck in whatever you pursue!
Art
11-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I highly regard the kit's lens DA 18-55

Some of my best photos are done with the kit's lens. I am a p&s users upgrading to K100D with kit's lens and DA 50-200 combo. The prime 40, 35 f/2.0 or even the 50mm f/1.4 would definitely be your next potential gear. All are fine glasses that I wish I have, especially the FA 35mm f/2.0 as I find my FA 50 f/1.4 not wide enough for street photography.

The question that you need to ask is whether a short zoom will be good for your usage as the DA 18-55 is very usable though it is no diamond compared to the primes, but it is no zirconia either (i borrow this phrase from another member discussion). I love that phrase as it tells a great story about the kit's lens that can be jam for $60 when bought alone in ebay and with the k100d purchase, it is like peanut as compared to the primes. Add a tripod and a capable external flash, you have a compelling gear with the kit's lens -- check my gear list with tripod for $81, flash for $48, mini-tripod for $15 in

Check tripod, mini-tripod and flash section (to be updated)
Inexpensive gear with Pentax - Hin's Tech Corner

This is not to say that primes are no as good, they are all better in the fixed focal length but you have to ask yourself that a kit's can do the wide angle at 18mm, and the 35mm, and the 50mm all for the price of $60.

I have my positive write up on DA 18-55 in this blog post:

Thoughts on Pentax DA 18-55 - Hin's Tech Corner

And my most proud amateur shot on 1st day with kit's lens exercising the SR feature with hand holding shot at 1/2 second

0.5 sec, f/4.5, 38mm, iso 200, -1/2ev (hand-held)

And my my shadow shot that I did last weekend with kit's lens in chasing my shadow in mid-day sun instead of running away from it.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-12-2007 at 08:34 PM.
11-14-2007, 02:31 PM   #20
Inactive Account

I would reccomend the kit lens with a used 50mm prime from ebay or a local shop.
11-14-2007, 02:59 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Without Knowing what you already own in pentax lenses etc, I would suggest stay with the kit lens.

It will give you good coverage, and is equivalent to a 28-80 mm that would have been sold with a film slr. For what you save, you will not get as good a lens elsewhere
11-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
The 40 is a good lens, very sharp and contrasty. But its too small for some. Having only hte 40mm and nothing else is quite limiting imo. Although having a prime can be a good learning experience. The build quality of the 40 is also very nice.

Normally I would recommend to start out with the kit, and see what focal lengths you like. Or to go with the 16-45 f4 instead of the kit, the image quality is better than the kit lens although its not as fast as the prime, then again the da 40 isnt exactly a speed demon its more of a small lens, I normally see the 16-45 sell for not much more than the 40. Also if I would go with just 1 affordable prime lens Id get the FA 35 instead of the DA 40. its a bit wider, close to normal lens on dSLR, and it has the speed only a prime can give you, whereas the da 40 has a speed just equal to good zooms.
I would definately opt for the 16-45 lens. Incredibly good lens and very convenient. Here is a sample of what was done with it.

Ben
Attached Images

11-14-2007, 05:51 PM   #23
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd agree with Ben. If you have the option of the 16-45mm then that is the best way to go. If you can't get that then definetly get the kit lens.

11-18-2007, 04:22 AM   #24

Original Poster
Hey guys, I appreciate all your comments and I understand what the pros and cons of both options would be; but apparently, it all came down to availability. I was really having a hard time weighing both options, but either way, each had its benefits... at the end of the day though, the kit lens just wasn't available anywhere here, locally So I went with the 40mm.

I have actually some shots to show for it already, as yesterday was my friend's kid's baptism:

C&C's appreciated

11-19-2007, 12:07 AM   #25
Veteran Member

neat pictures! I also ended up buying a DA40mm Limited and love it. it's a great lens! I shot 80% of a wedding with those pictures

I have to warn you that this is just the start of a very bad case of LBA :P